SportsWrath

Time to start talking QBs

Sephiroth

I haven't looked at prospects too closely yet, but I am kinda on board at this point going with an OT or Harrison at WR in the 1st.  If both gone, should have a shot at one of these QBs...and I don't think you can pass up that opportunity to let them roll behind DeVito and Jones for a season.

Either way, Jones is not the guy and is a product of great timing.  He came out in a weak QB draft class and hit FA at a time where there was shit available at the QB position.  Giants got suckered at both steps

1 hour ago, Herc said:

It’s too good of a qb draft (by all accounts) and imo it’s so risky to go into y3 of jones contract with no backup plan if he’s going to miss most of y2 already.  We need to have a better option for 2025 than “he’ll come back in November, he’ll be fine and we just roll with him.”  The good problem to have is we have a good rookie qb, jones comes back healthy and looks good, and we figure it out next offseason.  

This is my feeling as well, and also why I'm very leery on Penix.  I really like him as a player, but he's played five college seasons and has only been healthy for one.  He's also going to be 24 when he's drafted;  that type of injury history is just too risky for a top-10 pick for me.  Hell, one season lost due to injury is a major risk IMO. 

On 12/4/2023 at 12:17 PM, Herc said:

It’s too good of a qb draft (by all accounts) and imo it’s so risky to go into y3 of jones contract with no backup plan if he’s going to miss most of y2 already.  We need to have a better option for 2025 than “he’ll come back in November, he’ll be fine and we just roll with him.”  The good problem to have is we have a good rookie qb, jones comes back healthy and looks good, and we figure it out next offseason.  

I concur... placing the whole house on DJ is faulty and quite illogical.

On 12/4/2023 at 2:04 PM, Sephiroth said:

The nice thing about Drake Maye is that he came from a shitty Tarheels O-line, and Joe Shoen loves to draft shitty Tarheels O-linemen so he should feel right at home. 

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Tell us how you really feel Seph.  I am with you by the way on this.  I would say now is not the time to panic.  Get a good player in the 1st Round and don't reach.

12 hours ago, Iceman_NYG said:

Is there any indication of a QB this current coaching staff is enamoured with?? Otherwise as Schoen said, theyd probably go with the best available player based on need. 

I'm sure they're not going to say "we like this guy in the draft" in the middle of the season.  They're trying to win football games right now. 

27 minutes ago, mastershake said:

I'm sorry but when you're going into year 6 of your drafted QB, and we're still incredibly unsure of he's reliable or not, that's a sign you need to move on and draft another QB.

Sign # 2 is he's only played one full NFL season.

Doesn't necessarily need to be in the 1st round.

Look at how quickly the NFL knew Josh Rosen is a bust. 

1 hour ago, mastershake said:

I'm sorry but when you're going into year 6 of your drafted QB, and we're still incredibly unsure of he's reliable or not, that's a sign you need to move on and draft another QB.

Sign # 2 is he's only played one full NFL season.

Doesn't necessarily need to be in the 1st round.

This... by year four you know if you have the guy and/or not.  I would pull plug and/or go full speed ahead by year three.

50 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

Look at how quickly the NFL knew Josh Rosen is a bust. 

This squared... they have the IT Factor right away and the league (the players and coaches) recognize it right away.  As soon as defensive backs started yapping that DJ had obvious tells that they pick up on... I said it is time to move on.  It was coming from too many sources to be random gamesmanship type stuff.  Giants (owners, coaches and fans) have a hard time moving on.  Treat it more like a business rather than as a Saturday afternoon lark and we will go places.  I loved Fassel as he was more ruthless than most Giants coaches.  He dropped and moved on from Sean Payton like it was nothing, when Payton was the OC.   That took balls.  Just make a decision already and be prepared to go forward with it and defend it.

12 hours ago, TaylorBanksCarsonVanPelt said:

This squared... they have the IT Factor right away and the league (the players and coaches) recognize it right away.  As soon as defensive backs started yapping that DJ had obvious tells that they pick up on... I said it is time to move on.  It was coming from too many sources to be random gamesmanship type stuff.  Giants (owners, coaches and fans) have a hard time moving on.  Treat it more like a business rather than as a Saturday afternoon lark and we will go places.  I loved Fassel as he was more ruthless than most Giants coaches.  He dropped and moved on from Sean Payton like it was nothing, when Payton was the OC.   That took balls.  Just make a decision already and be prepared to go forward with it and defend it.

To be fair - Rosen had a lot of red flags even before the draft - silverspoon upbringing, not much "desire" to play the game and put yourself on the line week after week. Guy had talent sure - he just didnt have the heart or desire I feel. But yeah - some strong decisions need to be made. Im also of the opinion of going OT/Marvin Harrison in the 1st if we can get them - roll with Devito/Jones for another year. Any idea on what the 2025 QB class might look like? Assuming both Devito and Jones bust out next season

7 hours ago, Iceman_NYG said:

To be fair - Rosen had a lot of red flags even before the draft - silverspoon upbringing, not much "desire" to play the game and put yourself on the line week after week. Guy had talent sure - he just didnt have the heart or desire I feel. But yeah - some strong decisions need to be made. Im also of the opinion of going OT/Marvin Harrison in the 1st if we can get them - roll with Devito/Jones for another year. Any idea on what the 2025 QB class might look like? Assuming both Devito and Jones bust out next season

Most QBs have negatives. 

Mahomes was considered selfish and to much of a risk taker, throwing off his back foot or sometimes not at all.

The decision has already been made with Jones ending up injured 5 out of the 6 seasons he's played and showing very little development since his rookie year. 

I wouldnt be surprised to see a FA QB (even Tyrod) and Jones/DiVito in an open competition next year, frankly the only reason Jones will be even on the team is regardless the Giants have to pay him 30+ million if he's on the team or not, some great work by his agent I might add. 

The Giants rolled the dice with Jones and came up snake eyes. 

Either this year or next the Giants need to find the new franchise QB. 

11 hours ago, Iceman_NYG said:

I think waiting for a QB first rounder in 2025 might be the way to go.  You need to firm up the lines in the draft and free agency.  Address LB in free agency and get a proven talent.  Going draft for LB (unless it is LT, Banks, Van Pelt, Carson or Pierce) is fraught with uncertainty.  With that being written looks like the Giants will roll with a free agent journeyman QB next season.  DJ won't be back till November at the earliest and DeVito is pure novelty... not an NFL QB IMHO.  The Giants have some heavy decisions to make to get out finally from under Gettelman.

4 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

Daniels won the Heisman as well.

Which means if he shows up at the combines (which I expect he will) he's going to be a top 5 pick.

The draft calculator I'm using says if we trade our 1st, the first of our two 2nd rounders, and our 3rd right now we can move from 7 to 3 and grab one of the top QBs. 

If Maye or Daniels is there I think we should do it.  Honestly though I'm hoping we lose out (but are still competitive in the losses) and end up with a top-5 pick. 

10 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

Most QBs have negatives. 

Mahomes was considered selfish and to much of a risk taker, throwing off his back foot or sometimes not at all.

The decision has already been made with Jones ending up injured 5 out of the 6 seasons he's played and showing very little development since his rookie year. 

I wouldnt be surprised to see a FA QB (even Tyrod) and Jones/DiVito in an open competition next year, frankly the only reason Jones will be even on the team is regardless the Giants have to pay him 30+ million if he's on the team or not, some great work by his agent I might add. 

The Giants rolled the dice with Jones and came up snake eyes. 

Either this year or next the Giants need to find the new franchise QB. 

Mahomes grew up with more money than Josh Rosen, lol. 

On 12/10/2023 at 1:33 PM, Sephiroth said:

The draft calculator I'm using says if we trade our 1st, the first of our two 2nd rounders, and our 3rd right now we can move from 7 to 3 and grab one of the top QBs. 

If Maye or Daniels is there I think we should do it.  Honestly though I'm hoping we lose out (but are still competitive in the losses) and end up with a top-5 pick. 

This once again needs to be the plan.

So the Giants Twitter and Subreddit feeds right now are basically a back and forth between people who think if you draft a QB, you can't address the OL in the offseason (for some reason, both can't be addressed), versus people who think you can definitely address both a QB and OL in the offseason. I obviously think the former are morons.

I continue to post there, sarcastically talking to them as if they're morons: "There's this thing in the NFL offseason called free agency. Each year, a number of players in the NFL have their contracts expire and they're free to sign with other teams. Also, the NFL draft consists of seven rounds, not just one. Additionally, there's also this thing called trades; two or more teams can mutually come to terms to exchange players and/or draft picks."