SportsWrath

With the fourth pick in the 2024 draft the NY Football Giants select.

BlueInCanada

5 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

I agree, but it's the #1 thing you have to get right to win a championship.  Off the top of my head, the last time a team won a championship without a great QB was back in 2000 when Trent Dilfer got a ring. 

If you have a top-5 pick and you think "the guy" is there, you have to take him. 

True but why get a great QB if he’s not going to be protected.   One can argue that many QBs are successful based on the support system around them starting with a solid OL to WRs and RBs… 

I say we draft a qb that doesn’t add to the o-line problems. 

“In Weeks 1 and 2 (when Saquon Barkley was in the lineup), Daniel Jones was responsible for 20% of his pressures, per PFF.

In Week 6 (with Barkley in the lineup), Tyrod Taylor was responsible for 14% of his pressures. “

https://x.com/anthony_rivardo/status/1714637665662878205?s=46&t=B-wvlAsauGwtGs1QZIT5Bg

31 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

I say we draft a qb that doesn’t add to the o-line problems. 

“In Weeks 1 and 2 (when Saquon Barkley was in the lineup), Daniel Jones was responsible for 20% of his pressures, per PFF.

In Week 6 (with Barkley in the lineup), Tyrod Taylor was responsible for 14% of his pressures. “

https://x.com/anthony_rivardo/status/1714637665662878205?s=46&t=B-wvlAsauGwtGs1QZIT5Bg

I saw this too but I have to admit I don't' really understand it.   i didn't see Jones running into pressures too often;  in fact I saw him running away from it.   

Also, I mean... Tyrod was 6% better?  I'm not sure what this is supposed to show.   What's the NFL average for this? 

4 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

I saw this too but I have to admit I don't' really understand it.   i didn't see Jones running into pressures too often;  in fact I saw him running away from it.   

Also, I mean... Tyrod was 6% better?  I'm not sure what this is supposed to show.   What's the NFL average for this? 

Tyrod is considered a poor backup at best, and Jones is responsible for more pressure.   

it has to do with very rarely identifying the blitz and the hot reads correctly.  

1 hour ago, Sephiroth said:

The sample size is too small.    Some are just jealous the young man is making bank.    The hate he gets you'd think he plays for the Eagles.    We know from last year that DJ balls out when he gets basic protection.    This year's  OL is far worse than that of last year.    We only lost our left tackle and center and RB who are all stars or a star in the making.   But let's not look there... just hate on the young man making $$$.    I never understood jealousy... but again I don't understand a lot of things.   Too damn optimistic.  

3 hours ago, Herc said:

It basically means tyrod was responsible for 2 of his pressures and jones was responsible for 6

The game plan seems very different for Tyrod.   Quick throws all around.

1 hour ago, RandolphScott said:

He’s making 40 million dollars and not playing like it.

Simple as that. There was zero drop off going from Jones to Taylor on Sunday night 

He’s not been afforded enough protection to do so.

10 hours ago, RandolphScott said:

He’s making 40 million dollars and not playing like it.

Simple as that. There was zero drop off going from Jones to Taylor on Sunday night 

That's the thing. 

We can make all the excuses we want for Jones but when is it enough?

"He doesn't have an Oline" "it's the coaching" "no WRs" 

Well it's not like every team has an all star cast around their QB. 

Are the Giants just supposed to keep rolling with Jones till he's 38 hoping that he finally has the right mixture around him to win games? 

Eli did it multiple years with multiple players around him, different Olines, different WRs and RBs and coaches. 

Most good QBs can.

We could get the same result not paying Jones and playing DiVito or Tyrod or even a journeyman QB at this point. 

There is zero reason why Jones has to be the QB of the Giants. 

Stand up guy and he's taken the NY Media on the chin but he isn't a winning QB in the NFL. 

2 hours ago, RandolphScott said:

Luckily Joe Schoen has forgotten more about football than any of us will know and he deliberately crafted Jones contract as a two year deal. 

This.  I would have to look, but I remember there being an out after two years.

I didn't mind giving Jones a shot for two more years...but he's not the guy on the field.  Off the field, he is who you'd want...but that's secondary to playing well.

It's not fair cause he has taken an asskicking...but at the same time, paying him longer and more just isn't worth it when the team continues to lose.

Fix the offensive line and the pjpeline feeding it.  Do that first.

1 minute ago, TaylorBanksCarsonVanPelt said:

He definitely looked more down field rather than defaulting to running for it at the drop of a hat...

Not sure if look is the right term...   he did uncork ones deeper downfield for sure.   Jones seems more cautious 

Just now, GorillaNJ said:

Not sure if look is the right term...   he did uncork ones deeper downfield for sure.   Jones seems more cautious 

For sure... I can accept that.  Neither one is the answer for me, going back to Tarkenton.  Also Tyrod has gotten hit less so he does not have a case of alligator arms like DJ.

Also not hard to watch the difference between Jones and Taylor.

Taylor takes shots down field, he did it multiple times last week. That stuff helps an offense keep the defense honest, keeping more players in coverage. 

Teams don’t respect Jones ability because he holds onto the ball too long and when he gets rid of it, he’s locked into one target 

1 hour ago, RandolphScott said:

Yeah it’s not fair that they haven’t really protected Jones but he’s also not solving any problems either. 

He’s getting 40 million this year and next. Can’t be captain check down 

So true... he has been hit so much and trusts his receivers so little that when his first read is covered he looks for running lanes...