SportsWrath

Barkley signs

Herc

5 minutes ago, gmenroc said:

Great news.  Didn't see that happening this early.

It really shouldn’t have gotten to this point anyway.   I blame the FO for  It.   Glad we got something though.

37 minutes ago, Nas said:

It really shouldn’t have gotten to this point anyway.   I blame the FO for  It.   Glad we got something though.

30 minutes ago, GorillaNJ said:

I guess that Running back meeting must have suggested that he sign a contract ASAP

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38058656/star-nfl-rbs-meet-zoom-talk-state-position

I don't know...I have said all along that both sides have valid arguments for staying true to heir own asks and not compromising.  I am more surprised we saw this now and not drawn out.  I am guessing the voices that suggested a long term hold out only damages Barkley won...even if Barkley didn't like that reality.  I think it was Carl Banks that said training camp was gonna happen regardless, games were gonna get played...essentially that time stops for no man...and don't be a fool.  Still, I saw Barkley holding out until late preseason.

As a fan, I'm glad to have him.  As a person, I feel for the guy.  Sucks when you are screwed into a position where you cant better your situation at all

@spotrac

If Saquon Barkley maxes out his restructured deal in 2023, he'll earn $11M. That increases his franchise tag value for 2024 up to $13.2M, or a $24.2M payout over 2 years.

Only Christian McCaffrey ($30.5M) & Derrick Henry ($26M), have higher 2-year cash outputs.

1 hour ago, BlueInCanada said:

Can't sign anything beyond a year. 

1 hour ago, Herc said:

They can’t sign multi-year deals after the deadline 

Gotcha, I am thrilled he signed. Since he is no longer on the tag, can he sign a long term deal now?

2 minutes ago, jranieli said:

Gotcha, I am thrilled he signed. Since he is no longer on the tag, can he sign a long term deal now?

Not during the season.  He can next offseason 

6 minutes ago, BronxRik said:

So because he didn't sign the tag, and is now under contract, can he be tagged two more times or does the fact he got tagged still count as his first tag?

I think he can only be tagged one more time.   Otherwise I think Barkley just would have signed the tag. 

Good news... at least Barkley gets the 11m and hopefully has a great season.  The realities of being a modern-day gladiator are harsh.  Make good money on your 5–8-year window.  Hopefully he has a fallback plan post football.  If he does not, he should start working on it now.

I just read Barkley was looking for long term deal at 15 mil per and after tagging him, Giants pursued trading him at the request of his representation...called a dozen teams per the article but found no takers.  Unclear what Giants were asking...but had to be a 1st rounder plus I'd think.  To give up a 1st, and big money in this RB market...not shocking he stayed on tag...but I'm sure the lack of interest elsewhere and the trade request played into negotiations

2 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

Reports are Barkley wanted to be traded when he got tagged.

The Giants obliged and called a number of teams to find a trade partner. 

Seems like this one year deal is just to hold things over till Barkley can hit FA. 

Or get tagged again and traded

40 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

Reports are Barkley wanted to be traded when he got tagged.

The Giants obliged and called a number of teams to find a trade partner. 

Seems like this one year deal is just to hold things over till Barkley can hit FA. 

multiple sources and Barkley have already called this false. 

8 hours ago, GorillaNJ said:

I guess that Running back meeting must have suggested that he sign a contract ASAP

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38058656/star-nfl-rbs-meet-zoom-talk-state-position

Wasn’t Barkley ties for most receptions on the team last year?

The RB is far more important than what the dumb market says…. Would you rather have Barkley or that butter-hands TE Evan Ingram?