SportsWrath

Barkley signs

Herc

5 hours ago, UK-Giantsfan said:

I’m delighted. Daboll’s whole Offense needs him. Thank goodness. He might be the difference between 11-6 and 6-11 next season to be honest.

Go Blue

Which why I don’t understand the FO’s stance… There’s a lot more to Barkley than just being a running back.

1 hour ago, Nas said:

Wasn’t Barkley ties for most receptions on the team last year?

The RB is far more important than what the dumb market says…. Would you rather have Barkley or that butter-hands TE Evan Ingram?

Barkley but there’s a lot of scarcity at the TE position these days.  That said I would not have extended engram 

1 hour ago, Nas said:

The RB is far more important than what the dumb market says…. Would you rather have Barkley or that butter-hands TE Evan Ingram?

I don't think Barkley and Engram are comparable.

Maybe Barkley and Kittle.

In which case I'd take Kittle 100x over any RB in the NFL.  

With that said RBs should.be making as much as TEs. 

Just now, BlueInCanada said:

Also the best thing about this signing, we dont have to listen to reporters ask millions of Barkley questions during camp/pre-season.

Yeah they’re still gonna. 

However, when negotiations stalled after the Giants placed the $10.1 million franchise tag on Barkley in March, the running back’s representation asked the team to shop him around the league to shape a fair price, as first reported by Pro Football Talk and confirmed.

The Giants denied the request to test his market, league sources said, contradicting PFT’s report that the Giants reached out to a dozen teams to make a deal but Barkley was still seeking $15 million to $16 million per year at that time.

Barkley responded Tuesday on Twitter with three cap emojis to PFT.

In translation, he is saying that is a lie.

In fact, the Giants turned down two offers called into them by teams who since have been shown to be in the market for other top running backs, including the Dolphins, league sources said.

13 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

Reports are Barkley wanted to be traded when he got tagged.

The Giants obliged and called a number of teams to find a trade partner. 

Seems like this one year deal is just to hold things over till Barkley can hit FA. 

That was some epic level BS nonsense generated by these Sports websites and lip yappers who have nothing better to do. Barkley himself responded immediately saying its all lies. This was never ever requested or on the table.

15 hours ago, Nas said:

In a salary cap run sport I would look to save $ anywhere you can.     If this were baseball I would say throw all the cash at Saquon

41 minutes ago, GorillaNJ said:

In a salary cap run sport I would look to save $ anywhere you can.     If this were baseball I would say throw all the cash at Saquon

I really hate this talking point. Its almost as if everyone thinks the cap never moves. The Salary cap is projected to be $256M in 2024, $275M in 2025, and if that trend continues... somewhere around $295+ in 2026. With the exception of a #1 WR, which ppl keep trying to convince us we don't need, and Safety (X) all of our major positions are locked into multi year contracts. I'm 100% positive we could've afforded $14-15M per year if that's truly what he was asking for to lock up our most dynamic offensive player without any major financial ramifications if his performance fell off a cliff. But... that's just me. 

On 7/26/2023 at 8:10 AM, GorillaNJ said:

I disagree.    In any business, you need to pay your performers and send a clear message that if you work hard, you will get paid.    He's far more than a running back and is a fan favorite for more than one reason.      On what planet can Evan Ingram make more money than Saquon?     I think the fact that RBs have a shorter shelf life than any other football player out there is a great reason to pay them more.    The league can go pass happy all they want, I want the run to stay our focal point of attack.    I want us to run the ball at will and a RB like Saquon can afford you that and more.    

I'm a financial professional and saving money was my forte however, there are times when I'm more than happy to spend because of the ROI.    

1 hour ago, Nas said:

I disagree.    In any business, you need to pay your performers and send a clear message that if you work hard, you will get paid.    He's far more than a running back and is a fan favorite for more than one reason.      On what planet can Evan Ingram make more money than Saquon?     I think the fact that RBs have a shorter shelf life than any other football player out there is a great reason to pay them more.    The league can go pass happy all they want, I want the run to stay our focal point of attack.    I want us to run the ball at will and a RB like Saquon can afford you that and more.    

I'm a financial professional and saving money was my forte however, there are times when I'm more than happy to spend because of the ROI.    

Easy, TE's routinely play into their mid 30's at a relatively high level. RB's seem to fall of a cliff in their productivity right around 28 years old. So, If I'm a GM and I am staring at my 26-27 year old RB that is looking for a long term deal, Who may be great right now. The chances are that in 2-3 years his productivity is going to fall off a cliff, if he even stays healthy that long considering he has a injury history.

16 minutes ago, Balloonknott said:

Easy, TE's routinely play into their mid 30's at a relatively high level. RB's seem to fall of a cliff in their productivity right around 28 years old. So, If I'm a GM and I am staring at my 26-27 year old RB that is looking for a long term deal, Who may be great right now. The chances are that in 2-3 years his productivity is going to fall off a cliff, if he even stays healthy that long considering he has a injury history.

Not to mention...you have to look at demand.  Lots of good RBs....drives down cost.  Few good ones...drives up cost.

Beyond that, the market plays a role no matter our willingness to admit or accept it.  And not all positions are equal...not by a longshot.  It's an exaggeration, but that's not unlike comparing a burger flipper to a restaurant manager.  Different skills required.  Might be best flipper in the world...but may not be equipped to manage an ant farm.

I want to see Barkley in blue for life like most of us, and I don't deny he is top 3 RB in league.  And I don't deny his off field/captain-esque presence.  But the difference between him and the next guy may still not be worth the difference in salary demanded.

At this point, I think they try to get a long term deal done that makes sense after the season and before the tag...cause Barkley knows it's coming if he doesn't...and if he doesn't know it's coming, he's a damn fool.

I think guys like Shep and Slayton are gone next year so long as Robinson gets healthy.  Think Williams is done too...allowing for McKinney to sign and finally be comfortable cap-wise

1 hour ago, Balloonknott said:

Is Evan Ingram a better player than Saquon Barkley?  That’s the $13M question.

Giving Barkley a 3 year contract isn’t really “long term”.   Three years fly by and the still has at least 4 years of great football left.

I can also add that he’s a great blocker and receiver.

Ryan Dunleavy gave a clear update on the media BS - 

Did Barkley request a trade? - Absolute NO

Did his agents/reps request him to be shopped around - Yes

Did the Giants agree? Absolute No and said he was too valuable to the team

Did other teams call? - Yes, at least 2

8 hours ago, Nas said:

Is Evan Ingram a better player than Saquon Barkley?  That’s the $13M question.

Giving Barkley a 3 year contract isn’t really “long term”.   Three years fly by and the still has at least 4 years of great football left.

I can also add that he’s a great blocker and receiver.

Comparing apples to oranges.  Different positions hold different value no matter how much you refuse to admit it.

And further...different companies value positions differently.  Think about how companies treat entry level employees.  Some value them in hopes of promoting within.  Some view them as disposable and easily replaced.  

Nobody is gonna fight you on Barkley's ability...not even the guys who refuse to pay Barkley debate his ability.

8 hours ago, Iceman_NYG said:

Ryan Dunleavy gave a clear update on the media BS - 

Did Barkley request a trade? - Absolute NO

Did his agents/reps request him to be shopped around - Yes

Did the Giants agree? Absolute No and said he was too valuable to the team

Did other teams call? - Yes, at least 2

So then Barkley and his reps did ask for trade to a team for a better pay day.

Maybe Barkley himself didn't say it but clearly there was discussions between him and his agents about telling the Giants to shop him around.

And I don't see a problem with it, if another team was willing to pay more.