SportsWrath

Do we plan for a future without Saquon?

mastershake

He's likely not going to be 100% next year. Likely won't return to pre injury form at all in general. Do we move on? I.e let him play out his 4 year rookie contract, don't pick up the 5th year option, and let him go free agent. Or trade would be ideal, next year if possible.

Either way, point is I think we need to plan for a future without him.

I would think that yes they need to plan a replacement...  but I cannot imagine anyone trading for him.      I do not think any team is going to pay him big $$$$ on free agency, so hopefully we can keep him around at a reasonable number and he is able to find that rookie year form

4 minutes ago, boohyah said:

You keep him and pick up his option. No question.

This.

Also, I know there's a lot of clamoring for Davonte Freeman but I think we should also have Javon Leake back in for a look.  Dude already knows the offense and can provide instant help.

I think like most said here pick up his option and see what happens.

He returns to form next year and keeps going into his option year? Try to work out a deal.

You get a deal worked out? Great you got a dynamic RB, it doesn't oh well and he gets his money elsewhere.

I think though you draft this year with the intention of grooming him maybe a third round type of back. Worse comes to worse you trade him off at a later date or he becomes the heir to Saquon.

Frankly though I think he comes back in as good as shape next year and baring another freak accident has another pro bowl season.

Not sure what people here mean we were not ready to draft him. He's had a rough time of it these last 3 years but he's the best talent we've had in years so I'm not sure when we'd be ready for him.

He gets a lot of shit for poor blocking. Well he shouldn't be blocking. He needs a full back or tight end in front of him 10 - 15 snaps a game to be busting into that line ahead of him since the fucking line continues to play musical chairs. And the guy is excellent out of the backfield. The team should be based around him period. You keep this kid as long as he has wheels.

7 minutes ago, boohyah said:

Not sure what people here mean we were not ready to draft him. He's had a rough time of it these last 3 years but he's the best talent we've had in years so I'm not sure when we'd be ready for him.

He gets a lot of shit for poor blocking. Well he shouldn't be blocking. He needs a full back or tight end in front of him 10 - 15 snaps a game to be busting into that line ahead of him since the fucking line continues to play musical chairs. And the guy is excellent out of the backfield. The team should be based around him period. You keep this kid as long as he has wheels.

He has three TEs but the problem is all three are Marys who fucking suck

Just now, Sephiroth said:

He has three TEs but the problem is all three are Marys who fucking suck

I'm talking about parking a fucker in the backfield in front of him. Penny should be there also. You can't have this kid trying to run through the line getting stacked the way it does. He spent more time in the backfield against the Steelers. Then what happens is he tries to make shit happen and if you notice, that's when the injuries occur. Before he hurt his knee he took a nasty spill on the elbow which he could have sprained reaching out to get extra yards. Nobody would have had an issue if he went down on first contact, but it's when he tried to go further outside for extra yards, that's when the knee got fucked up. It's easier to run north south. He's constantly needing to cut. Even when he gets 2 yards, one of those yards is extra effort.

23 minutes ago, mastershake said:

Yeah I don't get it. Are Penny or Smith not good pass blockers? Surely they can handle LBs or chipping DEs

31 minutes ago, boohyah said:

We underrate guys like Carthon, Comella, Hedgecock. But back then all of our running backs benefitted from having them do the dirty work. Saquon is being asked to do the dirty work and then get 200 yards and 4 tds. Not going to happen.

The college game doesnt produce FBs anymore.

Not like we've seen.

Most teams are out there running 12 personnel about 90% of the time.

43 minutes ago, boohyah said:

We underrate guys like Carthon, Comella, [b]Hedgecock.[/b] 

What?  Are you out of your mind?

The 'Cock pass was arguably the greatest play in the GIlly playbook and one of the Giants' all-time greats, right up there with the McAdoo "give up draw." 

48 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

The college game doesnt produce FBs anymore.

Not like we've seen.

Most teams are out there running 12 personnel about 90% of the time.

There are enough in college to translate to the pros and there are plenty of smaller sized Lb's and tight ends that can convert over.

1 hour ago, boohyah said:

Meaning the line was garbage when we drafted him.  We have a hall of fame talent on a rookie contract completely going to waste because he has no help plus we are constantly playing from behind.  The cowboys built their line and got 1,000 yards out of mcfadden before using a first round pick on a luxury item upgrade.  They are now getting the most possible out of Elliot while they compete for playoff spots every year.  We’re getting 50% of this kid’s potential while he costs pennies and not taking advantage of the value he brings relative to his cap hit.  I’m all for picking up the option but I’m really not interested in being a 4-12 team with a 16 million dollar running back who barely hits 1000 yards cuz we can’t open holes for him and have to throw all second half