SportsWrath

Janoris Jenkins

UK-Giantsfan

The Giants still have holes along their defensive line, but they have started remaking their defense.

According to a source, the club will sign ex-Rams corner Janoris Jenkins when free agency opens on Wednesday afternoon at 4 p.m. Jenkins, 27, is arguably the top corner available on the free agent market, a fast, aggressive coverman who had three interceptions last season.

Jenkins will team with veteran Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie to give the club a pair of elite corners, which is something that GM Jerry Reese has been trying to achieve for several years. When Rodgers-Cromartie joined the Giants in 2014, it was expected that he and Prince Amukamara would be that tandem.

But Amukamara never could stay healthy, and now the plug has been pulled on that experiment. The pending signing of Jenkins all but assures that Amukamara will not return to East Rutherford. He was told to hit the free agent market at season's end, although there had once seemed a chance that the Giants might bring him back.

Thing is, Reese wants two elite corners, and the Giants never viewed Amukamara that way because of his inconsistent production. In Jenkins and Rodgers-Cromartie, though, the club may finally have what it's always wanted.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/giants-expected-sign-cb-janoris-jenkins-article-1.2557984

While it's an upgrade I would have rather seen that money spent on a top safety to pair with Collins, or a top-tier LB. Mook had a shitty year but he's not the the biggest blemish on the roster by far, and we're still fucked if it comes down to Hosley covering a top WR out of the slot.

While it's an upgrade I would have rather seen that money spent on a top safety to pair with Collins, or a top-tier LB. Mook had a shitty year but he's not the the biggest blemish on the roster by far, and we're still fucked if it comes down to Hosley covering a top WR out of the slot.

We've got the money to also add a top safety to pair with Collins.

Yup this move doesn't preclude others. Still a lot of money to throw around. Giants supposedly like S George Iloka but it looks like he is going to sign with Cincinatti. But you would think Giants will have similar $ to devote to the position. The Iloka deal looks like $30m for 5 years.

Right now it looks like the Giants are really honing in on Olivier Vernon.

I'd rather they went after Sean Smith. Jenkins has been pretty inconsistent. PFF has him ranked as the #4 FA CB, Mook as #5 (Smith #1).

We’ve come to expect big plays when quarterbacks target Janoris Jenkins, but those could be either good plays made by Jenkins, or big plays that he has allowed. Over his four-year career, Jenkins has allowed five or more touchdowns in every season (22 total), and missed 56 tackles in 60 games. However, Jenkins has also had 13 or more combined interceptions and pass defenses in three of his four seasons. He has improved over time, and is coming off his highest-graded season in coverage, where he ranked 30th among cornerbacks. Jenkins will make some impactful plays on defense, but he has shown over the last few years that he is susceptible to giving them up, as well.

I guess the line of thinking was that the Mook was going to cost quite a bit... so why not pay a little more and get the better of the two.

Besides, the Giants aren't done making moves... and I expect some of those needs to be addressed. So far so good.

Yup this move doesn't preclude others. Still a lot of money to throw around. Giants supposedly like S George Iloka but it looks like he is going to sign with Cincinatti. But you would think Giants will have similar $ to devote to the position. The Iloka deal looks like $30m for 5 years.

Right now it looks like the Giants are really honing in on Olivier Vernon.

Yeah Iloka is off the table.

Really the way FA is looking there isnt a safety out there worth any money that wasnt tagged by his team.

Giant's might have to look at the draft for someone to pair next to Collins, should make a hard push for a DE/LB/WR with whoever is left in FA.