SportsWrath

Seriously, how does Jerry Reece not get fired?

NeMesiS

Exhibit A as to how far our linebackers have fallen... we're excited for a linebacking corps of Brinkley, Kennard, and Casillas.

Not sure what these guys are doing. Let's not upgrade the LB's because we have Brinkley and Casillas...were set at TE with Will Tye...let's bring back Prince to miss 10 games a year. Guys there's other options out there

Yes but Coughlin makes the final roster cuts. Reese just brings the guys in he likes.

Coughlin cut Kendrick Ellis for Marcus Kuhn, he cut James Jones for Preston Parker, he played Andre Williams, he allowed Spags to play Dahl, I could go on

There are cap repercussions to roster cuts, there is no way that Coughlin had final say on the roster.

Dahl was what, the second guy signed off the street? He's about as good as you are going to find at that point.

And what is Kendrick Ellis up to these days?

Williams.... Yeah, bad call.

@Tree - I think it is the other way around. With the kind of personnel we have - we had no business even BEING close in those games. I think I would attribute it to coaching with the scrubs we had for even to be able to compete in any of those games. Playcalling on the other hand......but overall just a huge run of bad penalties, brain farts and bad luck all through and through. Nothing fell our way even once.

There are cap repercussions to roster cuts, there is no way that Coughlin had final say on the roster.

Dahl was what, the second guy signed off the street? He's about as good as you are going to find at that point.

And what is Kendrick Ellis up to these days?

Williams.... Yeah, bad call.

I think he has to accept a GM wanting to keep a player especially if drafted. Maybe a few guys fit that category but I the other guys are there because we can't bring in better players that fit.

I really wish someone would explain Markus Kuhn's four year roster rise to starter.

I said this earlier, if you judge the jobs done by both the GM and the coach these last 2 seasons, if you are being fair, then you could say Reese has done the better job. Try not to forget, the majority were looking at the likes of Zach Martin, when he took Beckham. He got the best player in the draft it turns out and in the 2nd he got Richburg, who some are saying was the best center in the NFC and should have been selected to the pro bowl. He got 2 more effective players this season in Flowers and Collins. It wasn't too bad.

And Reese drafts guys, he doesn't draft them and then says go get injured. Let's be fair he has been unlucky in that regard,

Reuben has been one hell of a fucking bust though

He's been the most productive bust in draft history. You can point to his numbers and say... decent production... that's a decent #2 receiver... but upon closer inspection he's a net negative, having been responsible for more interceptions because of lazy/poor route running and bad reads than any receiver in recent memory. He'll give you 1 good play for every 3 bad ones.

I think he has to accept a GM wanting to keep a player especially if drafted. Maybe a few guys fit that category but I the other guys are there because we can't bring in better players that fit.

I really wish someone would explain Markus Kuhn's four year roster rise to starter.

Kuhn isn't that bad. I can see the promise though, he does some things against double-teams that most guys can't do.

He's been the most productive bust in draft history. You can point to his numbers and say... decent production... that's a decent #2 receiver... but upon closer inspection he's a net negative, having been responsible for more interceptions because of lazy/poor route running and bad reads than any receiver in recent memory. He'll give you 1 good play for every 3 bad ones.

He reminds me of regular season Plaxico.

That whole 2012 draft amounted to nothing.

And yes, Kuhn is that bad. He was literally the worst rated DT this year, and I believe the second worst rated defensive player overall in the league.

@Tree - I think it is the other way around. With the kind of personnel we have - we had no business even BEING close in those games. I think I would attribute it to coaching with the scrubs we had for even to be able to compete in any of those games. Playcalling on the other hand......but overall just a huge run of bad penalties, brain farts and bad luck all through and through. Nothing fell our way even once.

Playcalling is part of coaching.

I'm not saying the team couldn't be better, that's obvious, but they were more than good enough to take the division this year.

That whole 2012 draft amounted to nothing.

And yes, Kuhn is that bad. He was literally the worst rated DT this year, and I believe the second worst rated defensive player overall in the league.

yeah, according to Pro Football Focus. Have you actually looked at the criteria they use to grade interior defensive linemen? They actually mark 2 gap DTs down for doing exactly what they're asked to do, even if they do it well. And Kuhn does very well at occupying two blockers at once.

What I don't understand about him is how he can do that, and then do only marginally better against single blocking.... but its taking on the double-teams that is the hard part. That's the promise, and that's how Kuhn won the job.

I don't really dislike it, I did subscribe for a few years, but I don't trust them on wrs, corners and linemen. There's no way they can know if these guys are doing their assignments properly

I was just pointing out that Collinsworthless owns a part in PFF and we all know how horrible he is.

Kuhn doesn't pass the eyeball test either. He's consistently getting pushed off the line.

He's bad.

well, I'm not saying he's good.... but if you think he's getting consistently pushed around out there, I don't know what to tell you. To my eye test, he's stout at the point of attack. He just doesn't make impact plays.

Pff's grading system is weird and often based on human subjective opinion

Yeah, its almost entirely subjective.

Not to belabor the whole 'Kuhn - Is He Abysmal, or Merely Average?' debate, but PFF marked him down substantially for having a lack of impact on passing plays.... but we're talking about a dude that comes off the field on passing downs... and who, before he was injured, was in the middle of a defensive line that had no pass rush. If there were actually a pass rush from the edge, I guarantee Kuhn would have had more impact on passing plays merely by cleaning up what the edge rushers leave behind. And it wouldn't be of his own merit, but his PFF grade would look a hell of a lot better.

And that is the problem with sites like PFF.

well, I'm not saying he's good.... but if you think he's getting consistently pushed around out there, I don't know what to tell you. To my eye test, he's stout at the point of attack. He just doesn't make impact plays.

We must be watching different players.

He improved the last two games or so he played in, but that guy was being pushed 2-3 yards back on literally every play. He's horrible.

Sounds like a product of poor coaching and development.

Rueben caught 8 touchdowns to finish the season, even if you couldn't count on him to move the chains. Here is some perspective, the last two second round WR picks were Steven Smith in 2007 and Sinorice Moss in 2006. The knee injury robbed Steve Smith of what could have been an amazing career. Rueben Randle caught more touchdowns in one season than Sinorice Moss caught balls in two!

Rueben Randle isn't a bust, just not what we hoped for.