SportsWrath

Seriously, how does Jerry Reece not get fired?

NeMesiS

Coughlin has has a lot more say in personnel dicisions then many realize

That sounds exactly like Reese in the press conference. "I take full responsibility... but it's not all my fault. I won't make any excuses... but we had injuries... and we blew a lot of leads. I know there are problems with the roster, but you have to win with the hand you're dealt." Completely classless, but I don't expect anything different out of him.

We all know one thing about this situation... Reese has no one left to blame now. He has his opportunity to hand pick his own coach. He STILL doesn't have to worry about finding a QB. And even though we have holes... we could end up with over $50M in cap space by removing some of the guys that are eating up huge chunks of money while sitting on the sidelines. If he fails to return this team to being a super bowl contender (since he loves bringing up our Super Bowl seasons) then he'll be exposed as a fraud, and a product/benefactor of Ernie Accorsi and Tom Coughlin.

That sounds exactly like Reese in the press conference. "I take full responsibility... but it's not all my fault. I won't make any excuses... but we had injuries... and we blew a lot of leads. I know there are problems with the roster, but you have to win with the hand you're dealt." Completely classless, but I don't expect anything different out of him.

We all know one thing about this situation... Reese has no one left to blame now. He has his opportunity to hand pick his own coach. He STILL doesn't have to worry about finding a QB. And even though we have holes... we could end up with over $50M in cap space by removing some of the guys that are eating up huge chunks of money while sitting on the sidelines. If he fails to return this team to being a super bowl contender (since he loves bringing up our Super Bowl seasons) then he'll be exposed as a fraud, and a product/benefactor of Ernie Accorsi and Tom Coughlin.

Reese's comments were disappointing. I wonder if he gets it.

Harry Truman had a sign that sat on his desk that said, "The buck stops here." Meaning, at his position, you don't pass the buck anymore. That's Reese's position when it comes to the roster. Yes, TC has input, John Mara has input, the scouts and Marc Ross has input. But Reese holds the job where you take the ultimate responsibility for the roster. That's his job, that's what he gets paid to do. He is THE decision maker when it comes to the talent or lack thereof on the team. And if he continues to give the next coach a weak roster, he will be next to be on the chopping block and he should be.

Personally, I hope that he has a lot more success in the draft going forward.

From what I have been reading everyone but coughlin is coming across like a clown yesterday. I'm really not sure ownership deserves the free pass they seem to get. The respect Wellington earned shouldn't be just transferred to everyone else

"Tom's resigning but we're really not hiding that it's his fault. But also we didn't give him players so it's Reese's fault too. PS jerry stays and we have faith in him."

"It's my fault as the gm and I take responsibility for the personnel decisions but hey also it's tom's fault"

We have a ton of cap room, a qb in place, good draft value, a superstar playmaker, half the o-line rebuilt and a head coaching vacancy. It's as good a time as any to get a gm in here and start a new chapter. And really I don't like a situation where the gm has little to no influence in hiring the coach. Let's shit or get off the pot here

I respect John Mara on his own merit, personally. John, afterall, had the good sense to hire Coughlin when he didn't exactly have the friendliest reputation coming from Jacksonville. I appreciate that John isn't like some other owners that try to take too much control of personnel, or push for the huge contracts like Albert Haynesworth a few years ago, for example, that hamstring the team's ability to manage the cap. I also think he was pretty patient with this move and doesn't make rash decisions.

Look at some of the organizations around the NFL that just rotate coaches with no continuity. San Francisco gave Tomsula one season. The Browns. Mara isn't like that and that's a good thing.

I also respect Kate Mara. I really, really respect her. I'd like to respect her all over.

Another thing too is there's a general feeling (it seems like at least) that Reese may have "turned the corner" in regards to the draft.

If you look at the last three years... Flowers, Collins, and Hart look like they can be solid contributors at the least. The same for Bromley, Kennard, and Pugh. Hankins and Richburg can arguably be studs, and of course Beckham could be an all-time great.

I guess we'll see. Those drafts of 2008-2012 all looked promising at one time too. I think if you get three players out of each draft that end up being something, Reese stays.

I respect John Mara on his own merit, personally. John, afterall, had the good sense to hire Coughlin when he didn't exactly have the friendliest reputation coming from Jacksonville. I appreciate that John isn't like some other owners that try to take too much control of personnel, or push for the huge contracts like Albert Haynesworth a few years ago, for example, that hamstring the team's ability to manage the cap. I also think he was pretty patient with this move and doesn't make rash decisions.

Look at some of the organizations around the NFL that just rotate coaches with no continuity. San Francisco gave Tomsula one season. The Browns. Mara isn't like that and that's a good thing.

I also respect Kate Mara. I really, really respect her. I'd like to respect her all over.

From what I've heard nobody in this organization wanted coughlin at all. Then Wellington took Tom out for lunch and overruled everybody including john and especially accorsi

Another thing too is there's a general feeling (it seems like at least) that Reese may have "turned the corner" in regards to the draft.

If you look at the last three years... Flowers, Collins, and Hart look like they can be solid contributors at the least. The same for Bromley, Kennard, and Pugh. Hankins and Richburg can arguably be studs, and of course Beckham could be an all-time great.

I guess we'll see. Those drafts of 2008-2012 all looked promising at one time too. I think if you get three players out of each draft that end up being something, Reese stays.

It's past time that Bromley should start to show something. He really needs to get on the field and start producing next season.

Ok now consider this: Why are you firing him? He did a much better job this season improving the roster. He did a decent job the season before as well. Are we firing him for the earlier seasons then? You can argue he has learned from the mistakes he made then which has lead to better players now. What are we going to say a year or two from now and the guys he brought in win us a Super Bowl?

Line has been pretty long since 2007 to blow Ernie Accorsi while we wished he got fired along with Fassell in 2003.

Ok now consider this: Why are you firing him? He did a much better job this season improving the roster. He did a decent job the season before as well. Are we firing him for the earlier seasons then? You can argue he has learned from the mistakes he made then which has lead to better players now. What are we going to say a year or two from now and the guys he brought in win us a Super Bowl?

Line has been pretty long since 2007 to blow Ernie Accorsi while we wished he got fired along with Fassell in 2003.

Not I.

I think Jerry deserves a little credit for bringing in Brinkley and Casillas too. They could both end up as solid starters for us. Add a healthy Kennard and our LB corps has improved greatly.

Exhibit A as to how far our linebackers have fallen... we're excited for a linebacking corps of Brinkley, Kennard, and Casillas.

I also think the "lack of talent" on the roster is way overblown. We were in a winning position in at least 5 more games this season, even with all the key injuries. It wasn't talent where we fell short, it was coaching.

You can look at it either way. Personally I think there was a lack of talent but the coaching and moral fiber of most of the team kept them in games that they should've been out of. Granted, coaches made some miscues in critical situations. If you look at the healthy roster, you don't really see a lot of first string players, especially on D

For approximately the 400th time - we had maybe THREE (3) legit starting players on Defense and plenty of holes on Offense. Yes, clock management errors cost us a few games and we all saw that. What we didn't see was the coaches getting a roster full of backups and journeymen ready to be competitive against more talented teams. This VERY easily could have been a 3 win team.

Harry Truman had a sign that sat on his desk that said, "The buck stops here." Meaning, at his position, you don't pass the buck anymore. That's Reese's position when it comes to the roster. Yes, TC has input, John Mara has input, the scouts and Marc Ross has input. But Reese holds the job where you take the ultimate responsibility for the roster. That's his job, that's what he gets paid to do. He is THE decision maker when it comes to the talent or lack thereof on the team. And if he continues to give the next coach a weak roster, he will be next to be on the chopping block and he should be.

Personally, I hope that he has a lot more success in the draft going forward.

Yes but Coughlin makes the final roster cuts. Reese just brings the guys in he likes.

Coughlin cut Kendrick Ellis for Marcus Kuhn, he cut James Jones for Preston Parker, he played Andre Williams, he allowed Spags to play Dahl, I could go on