SportsWrath

ELI's Contract

Lughead

SO I have been thinking about all of these roster moves and signings/cuts and re-signings . Also the cap space which with the signings/cuts is ever growing.

Do you think maybe the Giants are clearing up Money to for Eli?

If this is the case I believe it's a big mistake. I know Eli in the past has been mediocre for us.(last 4 years) I also feel he has underplayed for his current contract. Now his agent wants MORE for him? I know it's a cutthroat business but come on man If the top 3 Offensive players and 1 Defensive player are making about 1/3 of the total cap and 3 of them players are injured and 1 wants more money.... Now Next year we will have a #1 wide receiver who will be Looking to "GET PAYED" , as the Giants do not usually let Players they plan on retaining play through their contract year. so I would look at Contract talks for Beckham to heat up after '17 (next year). Compare Beckham's contract to Dwayne Harris and Cruz, Beckham has out played them both.

Giants Contracts

ELI $16,25 Mill

Cruz $8.6 Mill

Beatty $7.5 Mill

JPP $14.8 Mill

I tend to doubt Beatty will be around when Beckham is due. Same for JPP. That's quite a bit of money right there to send both Eli and Beckham's way. Not to mention, the salary cap always increases, so there's that to consider as well.

I suggested in another thread that JPP should be cut loose sooner than later this season. The 14.8 million tag number can be recouped on a prorated basis weekly if JPP doesn't sign. So, if JPP were to go through the season unsigned or if the Giants pulled the tag offer...that 14.8 million can roll into next year's cap.

Back to Eli, that 14.8 million could be used towards front loading Eli's extension...allowing for greater flexibility on the back end of his extension...essentially allowing for guys like Pugh, Flowers, Kennard, Beckham, etc. to be resigned.

I tend to doubt Beatty will be around when Beckham is due. Same for JPP. That's quite a bit of money right there to send both Eli and Beckham's way. Not to mention, the salary cap always increases, so there's that to consider as well.

I suggested in another thread that JPP should be cut loose sooner than later this season. The 14.8 million tag number can be recouped on a prorated basis weekly if JPP doesn't sign. So, if JPP were to go through the season unsigned or if the Giants pulled the tag offer...that 14.8 million can roll into next year's cap.

Back to Eli, that 14.8 million could be used towards front loading Eli's extension...allowing for greater flexibility on the back end of his extension...essentially allowing for guys like Pugh, Flowers, Kennard, Beckham, etc. to be resigned.

I also was mulling around the thought of trading JPP to Seattle. But with no tape on his after injury work for seattle to look at. I am sure they would not even consider.

I also was mulling around the thought of trading JPP to Seattle. But with no tape on his after injury work for seattle to look at. I am sure they would not even consider.

I was a fan of that thought too, trading JPP...but you can't trade him until he's signed. But because his 14.8 is fully guaranteed, we'd be on the hook for his full contract. So that ship has pretty much sailed.

i figured they'd get something done right before sunday. the comment section sure does make me hate the internet though

10354686_10150004552801856_2203675011061
Mauricio Cortez · Eli isnt the highes paid quarterback now even thought he didnt want to be that so people can now shut up and kiss his none tainted superbowls rings and the defense did thier part but they didnt throw the football you monkeys that are known as haters towards him and some of them are even patriots fan who eli out brady brady the cheater lmao but anyways footballs back

What? :ThinkingScratchHead2-small: Drunk Vegas dude probably.

Eli's never missed a start in 11 seasons, has 2 SB MVP's, and probably every Giants QB record there is. I'm sure the front office knows what he's worth to the organization. The sad reality of this is that Eli's done in the next few years and I for one am going to miss the little guy, 84 million or not.

Didn't Reese negotiate his last two deals?

Eli's first deal was with Accorsi, pretty sure Tom Condon wrote the number on the check and Mara signed it. Then there was the extension after winning the super bowl which Reese did. That was a combination of a reward and cap saving move.

What? :ThinkingScratchHead2-small: Drunk Vegas dude probably.

Eli's never missed a start in 11 seasons, has 2 SB MVP's, and probably every Giants QB record there is. I'm sure the front office knows what he's worth to the organization. The sad reality of this is that Eli's done in the next few years and I for one am going to miss the little guy, 84 million or not.

That or high school student. They don't stress grammar and punctuation anymore; with the excuse being that as long as the content is good, they don't care about spelling, grammar, punctuation, etc.

Less than Roethlisberger so I guess we can chalk this one up as a victory. Was expecting a $90-100 million contract extension, guess Reese is a better negotiator than his predecessor.

I was expecting the same amount, though on a 5 year deal. It'll be interesting to see how it's structured.

SO I have been thinking about all of these roster moves and signings/cuts and re-signings . Also the cap space which with the signings/cuts is ever growing.

Do you think maybe the Giants are clearing up Money to for Eli?

If this is the case I believe it's a big mistake. I know Eli in the past has been mediocre for us.(last 4 years) I also feel he has underplayed for his current contract. Now his agent wants MORE for him? I know it's a cutthroat business but come on man If the top 3 Offensive players and 1 Defensive player are making about 1/3 of the total cap and 3 of them players are injured and 1 wants more money.... Now Next year we will have a #1 wide receiver who will be Looking to "GET PAYED" , as the Giants do not usually let Players they plan on retaining play through their contract year. so I would look at Contract talks for Beckham to heat up after '17 (next year). Compare Beckham's contract to Dwayne Harris and Cruz, Beckham has out played them both.

Giants Contracts

ELI $16,25 Mill

Cruz $8.6 Mill

Beatty $7.5 Mill

JPP $14.8 Mill

Cut all three and sign blue collar players..

Cut all three and sign blue collar players..

You can't cut JPP, he's not signed. You could only withdraw the tag offer...but that would make him a free agent immediately and he'd be able to sign with another team. If you signed him, the prorated (based on games where he's active) portion of that 14.8 million is guaranteed, meaning we wouldn't be saving anything.

The Giants are 100% in the driving seat on JPP. JPP won't sign until he's able to play to avoid going on the season ending NFI list. Giants have likely told JPP's camp that they'd do exactly that...because the Giants don't want to sign JPP until he's ready to play either. Why? Because for each week JPP is unsigned, the Giants recoup 1/17 of that 14.8 million towards their salary cap (which can be rolled over into next year).

For Cruz and Beatty, I think it's wise to give both a shot at returning healthy. Cruz's calf appears more serious than it was originally reported. Missing the opener against a division opponent is no small thing. I think that depending upon how this season plays out though, he may be asked to restructure. As for Beatty, I think he's very close to losing his starting LT position to Flowers. Before I do anything, I test Beatty at RT. I ensure that he can play the position and then check the contract against other RTs in the league and try to pay him fair value.

I think Beatty could be an excellent RT but his cap hit this year is a little over $8M, a huge number for that position. If he's released this year, we'd be on the hook for all of that cap amount. That ain't happening. Cap hit in 2016 is $9.1M but down to $5M in dead cap $ if he's released. In 2017, when he'll be 32 years old, cap hit is $9.3M, only $2.5M dead cap if released. Yeah, those numbers scream restructure....and if he'll do it and he can stay on the field, our OL could be very good.

Beatty could possibly be a good pass blocker at RT, but that position really requires run-blocking skills as the LDE is usually the defense's best run-stuffer. Beatty doesn't really have those skills as he's a bit undersized to play on the line to begin with, but he would protect Eli in the pocket pretty well.

I think you'd see John Jerry type production out of him at that spot... good against pass rushers, but gets pushed into the backfield on running plays.

Beatty could possibly be a good pass blocker at RT, but that position really requires run-blocking skills as the LDE is usually the defense's best run-stuffer. Beatty doesn't really have those skills as he's a bit undersized to play on the line to begin with, but he would protect Eli in the pocket pretty well.

I think you'd see John Jerry type production out of him at that spot... good against pass rushers, but gets pushed into the backfield on running plays.

He'd be good enough until we draft his replacement in 2016.