SportsWrath

Giants pick Flowers.

Sephiroth

They needed help on the offensive line. Don't know alot about Flowers, honestly.....but seems like a "Reese" guy.....tremendous athletic upside, but raw and sloppy. I like the fact that he plays physical though.

Ready or not, he'll need to start right away.

Different analyses from around the horn:

Ereck Flowers

Rob Rang

Flowers played left tackle at Miami but may need to move to the right side in the NFL. Despite his massive frame, Flowers is light on his feet and balanced in pass protection. He is aggressive and active as a run blocker, including looking for defenders in pursuit -- offering precisely the type of "nastiness" scouts prefer.

Sy from BBI

Flowers shows the ability to dominate his opponent on every play when he maintains the proper body position and technique. He has all the ability a player needs to be a quality left tackle in the NFL. He moves well, has tremendous power and functional strength in addition to the size to factor as an immediate contributor at the next level. His nasty on-field demeanor and talent can make him one of the top run blocking tackles in the league. He needs to refine his pass blocking technique and mechanics before he is trusted to protect the blind side of a quarterback, though.

*There is a good amount of speculation that Flowers is being targeted by NYG at #9.

Walter Football

Scouts tell WalterFootball.com that they feel Flowers could be a stud who turns into a NFL franchise left tackle. He already is a powerful presence in the ground game. Multiple teams told WalterFootball.com that they've given Flowers a first-round grade - some put him in the top 20. Most project Flowers to start out at right tackle, and they'll see if can move to left tackle after some development.

Flowers had a strong Combine. He led all the offensive linemen with 37 reps. Flowers plays with a lot of power, and his bench press total is even more impressive considering he has long arms (34 1/2 inches). Flowers' 40 time was quick considering he is heavier than most of the top offensive linemen. In the field work, Flowers slid well while showing real power and shock in his hands in the pads drills. He did well in the mirror drill, but needs a little work to stay compact and not get his arms out wide. Flowers is only 20 years old and is full of potential.

Flowers finishes plays really well and has a mean streak. The only thing that might keep him from being a top-10 pick is bending. Some times he does more waist bending rather than knee bending, which NFL teams prefer. However, that often comes with the territory of a big blocker.

Flowers put together an excellent 2014 season. The junior demonstrated excellent feet, quickness, length and agility to block on the blind side. In the ground game, Flowers opened a lot of holes for Duke Johnson. Flowers even played well while dealing with a recurring knee injury from a torn meniscus. That knocked him out against North Carolina, but he came back quickly to play well against Florida State. Flowers was absolutely dominant against South Carolina to conclude his 2014 season. He illustrated his tremendous skill set as he was rock solid in pass protection and moved defenders in the ground game.

Pro Football Focus

Flowers is the most curious prospect in the class with possibly the highest ceiling of any tackle in the draft. The Miami left tackle is an ox that can flatten a downblock on one play and then beautifully kickslide out and stone a speed rush on the next. He was extremely productive in both run and pass blocking, but Flowers is about as raw as they come — while some guys have problems in one area or another, he had head-scratching issues sprinkled throughout his entire game.

The biggest concern is that Flowers’ form will completely break down for no apparent reason and it’s like you’re watching a different player altogether. There is no better example of this than his pass blocking effort with 6:55 remaining in the first quarter against Nebraska. On that play he’s bent so much at the waist upon first contact with Randy Gregory that his upper body is almost parallel to the ground. Flowers then ducks his head and tries to wrap his arms around the Nebraska end. This allows the 235-pound Gregory to gain leverage on Flowers and walk the 329-pound tackle all the way back to the quarterback for a hit.

He got away with that kind of sloppy play far too often in college because of his tremendous strength (37 reps at combine) and length (34 ½” arms), but that won’t be the case if he continues it in the NFL.

Signature Stat: Had one negatively-graded game all season and didn’t allow a single sack.

It's hard to complain about drafting an offensive lineman. I wanted Cooper, would have settled for White. If you're building for the future, you build the oline, and we have 3 young, talented olineman now in Richburg, Flowers and Pugh.

Really need to look into 2nd round WR's, but dline would be great too.

Graziano called this pick.....

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-giants/post/_/id/42353/nfl-nation-mock-draft-why-i-picked-ereck-flowers-for-the-giants

.....I really believe, based on the conversations I've had in recent weeks, that the Giants are likely to take an offensive lineman with this pick. I think there's a chance they could deal up two or three spots in the unlikely event someone such as Leonard Williams were to tumble out of the top five, but I don't think that will happen. I think there's a chance they'd trade down if someone came to them with a great offer for the No. 9 pick, but I don't think that's likely either...

....So it's about the offensive linemen, and I know the Giants have looked seriously at a large group of them, including Flowers, Brandon Scherff, Andrus Peat, La'el Collins and D.J. Humphries. As this draft was unfolding, I thought I'd have to make a choice between Flowers and Scherff, and I honestly don't know which the Giants would choose if both were on the board. But Jeff Dickerson solved my problem by taking Scherff at No. 7 for the Bears, and so I was all set with Flowers.

The Giants see the 6-foot-6, 330-pound Flowers as a mean, strong, athletic monster who can start right away at guard or right tackle due to his proficiency in the run game. But while those same things can be said about Scherff, it's likely Scherff's NFL ceiling is at guard or right tackle, whereas the Giants believe Flowers can develop into a star left tackle down the road. He has some issues with footwork in pass protection, but they believe they can develop him and his ceiling would allow him to play the premium offensive line position that wold justify a pick this high....

It's hard to complain about drafting an offensive lineman. I wanted Cooper, would have settled for White. If you're building for the future, you build the oline, and we have 3 young, talented olineman now in Richburg, Flowers and Pugh.

Really need to look into 2nd round WR's, but dline would be great too.

there will probably be some good candidates available

Reese has broken out of his mold in that Flowers is the first player he's picked in a long time who was NOT a team captain. However, he's a junior and that's usually an honor given to a senior. From all I've read, he's a real high character guy.

Hopefully, but if not Cooper or White, I really wouldn't mind taking another Olineman, just go full out and solve that fucking problem in one draft.

I'd love to have Cann as our 2nd rounder

Are we so sure Pugh will move inside or might they try Flowers at Guard?

That's an excellent question that I've wondered myself. He's a pusher so he could probably play guard. But I have a hunch they want to groom him as a tackle. He'll have the best coaches in the world to teach him how to be the best he can be and from all I've read, he's a good student of the game and highly coachable. There'll be growing pains I'm sure, but he's going to be a stud.

Hopefully, but if not Cooper or White, I really wouldn't mind taking another Olineman, just go full out and solve that fucking problem in one draft.

yeah that'd be nice but we've used two number 1's and a number 2 on the o-line in the last 3 drafts. i'd really like to think that that's all it takes

"If we don't draft an o-lineman i am drinking til i go home with an ugly chick" - BleedinBlue, sportswrath

"Remember, you can't trade down unless someone wants to trade with you" -gmenroc, sportswrath

"Cruuuuuuuuuuuuz" -Nas, sportswrath

"Everything sucks, where's Bill Cowher?" - Sephiroth, sportswrath

Sy from BBI is a source?

Hell, how do we get some of our guys listed as a source?

Sy is a contributor on Ourlads, offering draft analysis on that site. Of course he's not one of the big names in the game, but he's not "just another poster on BBI", either.

And me too! :TU:

We've talked about it, but watch, this guy is so young having just turned 21 a few days ago, and he's already this good, and this mean and nasty? Watch this guy blossom, he's going to be great. He is going to push Pugh, and I think he's going to push him right to Guard.

Giants Plant Flowers at Right Tackle

Found this article on Flowers obviously written before the draft...

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2015/04/nfl_draft_rumors_dont_expect_giants_target_ereck_f.html

12083587.pngBy Nick Powell | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
on April 30, 2015 at 8:25 AM, updated April 30, 2015 at 9:12 AM

It's draft day! In 12 hours or so, every name and rumor you have heard over the last three to four months will cease to be relevant.

But since we've got some time to kill before the main event, here's one more nugget for Giantsfans to chew on. We have known for a long time that the Giants are very intrigued by Miami offensive tackle Ereck Flowers, viewing him as a right tackle in the short-term, but a potentially dominant left tackle down the road.

Whether Jerry Reese and the Giants front office are interested enough to spend their No. 9 pick on Flowers remains to be seen, and likely depends on who else is still on the board when the Giants are on the clock. But according to MMQB's Peter King, Flowers might be more of a top 10 lock then people think. Apparently, the Giants are not the only team who thinks Flowers has star potential.

Via MMQB:

Ereck Flowers alert:
There's a love-fest out there with Flowers, the Miami left tackle. "He will not fail," said one club official of a team in pursuit of the feisty Flowers. "He is all ball. Don't know if he'll make many Pro Bowls, but he will play at a good level for years. To me, he's a sure thing."

NFL DRAFT: Full coverage of the 2015 draft class

An interesting assessment, to be sure. Do the Giants need to get a star in the top 10? Will they be satisfied with "good," but not great? In a sense, Flowers would be an atypical first round pick for Reese, who loves athletic playmakers, but a player like him could also help the Giants re-establish their offensive identity. The Giants were largely a passing offense for much of the 2014 season, with poor run blocking contributing to their 23rd-ranked rushing offense.

Flowers is a mauler who would instantly be one of the best run blockers on the line. His experience in Miami's zone blocking scheme showcased his athleticism getting out in space and creating running lanes. That skill set is attractive to any team trying to boost their production on the ground.

So there you have it, one final bit of speculation before the big day. Would you be satisfied with Flowers as the Giants' top pick?