SportsWrath

Giants pick Flowers.

Sephiroth

DGB is maybe the lowest character grade in the draft. No thanks. I like Strong, though. Also Owamagbe Odighizuwa would be a PHENOMENAL pick if he lasts until 40. To get him there would be amazing, and would satisfy the unpronounceable name requirement.

Sy is a contributor on Ourlads, offering draft analysis on that site. Of course he's not one of the big names in the game, but he's not "just another poster on BBI", either.

And me too! :TU:

And me too :flex:

I'd like to see us draft Sammie Coates at some point on the second day.

I also don't think that Flowers is starter from day 1, which makes using the 9th pick on him silly, in my opinion. Top ten picks need to contribute on day 1, not be young and raw talents on the offensive line. That's the last position you want to draft a raw talent.

So freaking happy. I thought Redskins may go offensive line, was hoping they would go Peat and Giants would have choice of Flowers or Scherff, but even though Scherff qas my Giants pick I had reservations. Flowers was my top OT and nearly threw up thinking the commisioner was going to say Peat. Love this pick and so happy

DGB is maybe the lowest character grade in the draft. No thanks. I like Strong, though. Also Owamagbe Odighizuwa would be a PHENOMENAL pick if he lasts until 40. To get him there would be amazing, and would satisfy the unpronounceable name requirement.

LOL

Right around 1:20, check him out (#74)....crashes the left defensive line, still plowing guys at the 2nd level.....that's the sort of blocking you need in the 4th quarter.

I see Andre Williams running behind this guy to close out games.

Here's Mayock's take.

OVERVIEW

As a junior in 2014, started all but one game at left tackle and was second-team All-ACC selection. Flowers suffered a knee injury in the middle of the season and reportedly underwent a surgical procedure to repair the injury but missed only one game because of it. Admonished for using an obscene gesture toward Nebraska fans after an on-field skirmish. In 2013, started all 13 games at left tackle. In 2012, started four games as a freshman at right tackle. Ranked as a four-star prospect by Scout and Rivals coming out of Miami Norland High School. Helped lead team to a 15-0 record and Class 5A state championship. Was the only player at the NFL Scouting Combine who decided not to hire an agent.

PRO DAY RESULTS
Vertical jump: 27 inches ANALYSIS STRENGTHS Big, athletic frame carrying more than 320 pounds with ease. Ascending mauler in the run game. Bender who is low man off snap and pops hips into block to leverage defender at the point. Combines hips, arm extension and upper-body power to consistently turn his man when base blocking. Once he gets upper hand in run game, he usually sustains and finishes. Secures combo block with a vengeance. Has feet to become solid zone blocker. Mean and highly competitive. Wants to dominate and gets surly when beaten on a snap. Special foot quickness in pass protection. Able to mirror and counter two-way rushers or B-gap blitzers. Uses quick feet and loose hips to turn, scramble and recover when beaten. Pass-set depth and technique improved as year progressed. Has played both tackle positions.
WEAKNESSES
Pass protection needs plenty of work. Footwork gets sloppy and undisciplined, causing base to narrow. Ducks head into contact and is a leaner in pass pro, creating balance problems. Rarely flat-footed upon initial hand contact. Throws hands rather than firing authoritative punch. Hands ride too high and too wide. Content to become grabby around framework of defender. Flagged for six holding penalties over last two seasons. Slow to secure and climb on combo blocks and is often lacking balance on the way to target. Doesn't bring feet under him to sustain second-level blocks. Knocked off balance by smaller pass rushers due to poor balance. Hips looked tight and struggled to gain ground when asked to pass set in combine drills. DRAFT PROJECTION Round 1
NFL COMPARISON Jack Mewhort

BOTTOM LINE Flowers has good size and short area foot quickness, but he also features some lower body tightness and struggles to get proper depth quickly to consistently meet edge rushers. Some of Flowers' pass protection issue may be difficult to overcome. On the hand, his strength as a run blocker and ability to uproot his man and get them turned is undeniable. Flowers may be drafted as a tackle, but his best position could end up being as a guard where I would put a draft grade on him of 6.12.

Oh-diggy-zoo-wah

S.I. says Giants lead "list of head-scratchers."

Ereck Flowers, OT, Giants: General manager Jerry Reese, head coach Tom Coughlin and VP of player evaluation Marc Ross all believed that Flowers was the best available player with that ninth pick. And each of those fine gentlemen know far more about football than I do ... but I had seven offensive tackles ranked ahead of Flowers this year. At 6'6" and 329 pounds, Flowers is the very model of a tough, nasty run-blocker, but he's got a lot to work on in pass-protection. He's not particularly agile, and his footwork is a work in progress. Most likely, he'll kick over to right tackle after playing on the left side for the Miami Hurricanes, allowingJustin Pugh to move to guard.

​“Ereck is, as you have probably heard, a physical, nasty, tough football player and you just don’t see that too often anymore in college football,” Ross said. “He is a man-child physically. He is gigantic. He has long arms. He just turned 21 on Saturday. Super productive against the highest level of competition there, the Florida States and the Nebraskas. He is a good player who is just scratching the surface of how good he can be.”

Coughlin seemed to view Flowers as a superhuman prospect.

I still don't think you can count Brett Jones out of the OLine mix. Beatty and Schwartz should be worried.

I agree on Jones, I just have a good feeling about him. I'm very giants-optimistic though.

I agree on Jones, I just have a good feeling about him. I'm very giants-optimistic though.

I'm being a total homer about him, but I don't care. He's been dismissed by most from day one purely because he's Canadian.

I'm not dismissing Jones! But even without the Flowers pick I think he'd be behind Richburg at C and Jerry at OG. But we need depth, and he'll get a fair chance. I think Flowers is going to start from day 1. I'm not sure if it will be at OG or RT. He'll have to beat Pugh out fair and square and I know Pugh will work very hard to prevent that from happening.

I'm being a total homer about him, but I don't care. He's been dismissed by most from day one purely because he's Canadian.

See that's one thing I never understood, what's the one things CFL O-lineman are good at? Pass blocking, it's a passing league with only two downs for 10 yards.

What's the NFL today? A passing league.