SportsWrath

350 rushing for the Seahawks

NeMesiS

Jim Harbaugh and Eli won't mesh well, I'm telling you right now that's not going to work. You think Eli is going to stand there before the game and have his shoulder pads pounded like pee wee football to gee him up. Harbaugh will want his own guy.

Seattle should be the better team, these guys are spending big money on players all over the defense because they don't have to pay Wilson. wait a year or two and see if we're saying the same thing when they have to let guys like Bruce Irwin and Brandon Mebane go because they need to pay Russell. That's the test. Let's be fair, they got lucky with Wilson, they are not even paying him first round money. I think Carroll's done a good job, I said before I wanted him to come here, but he's been able to rebuild from scratch and like I said, he's had some good luck along the way.

Ohhhhh...definitely. Russell's second contract is going to bring Seattle back down to earth. This does show how important getting later round draft picks to contribute is so important. Don’t need Probowl selections but quality backups would be nice.

Ohhhhh...definitely. Russell's second contract is going to bring Seattle back down to earth. This does show how important getting later round draft picks to contribute is so important. Don’t need Probowl selections but quality backups would be nice.

That's the key.....look at last week......with an average-quality front 7, there's a good chance the game goes into the 4th quarter as a duel between Eli and Wilson, and my money would have been on Eli to pull it out.

Fewell's frustration with players not even attempting containment was evident. It's still on him to make it work, but the players, particularly the OLBs, aren't helping him out any.

I blame the Seattle game mostly on Fewell.

I think Kennard has shown some promise.....and yet they keep J-Will in for every snap, while Kennard is only on the field 1/3 of the time despite the overwhelming commitment on the run game by Seattle. There were many situations where it was 6 Seattle offensive lineman blocking against 2 linebackers and 5 defensive backs.

Reminds me alot of the crappy gameplan against Indy a couple years ago, when they didn't even dress enough defensive tackles.

Reese's track record with LBs has been spotty......but I supported signing Beason (as usual injuries cut him down, so I should second guess myself there). I like what I've seen with Kennard, so I think that might prove to be a solid draft pick by Reese, especially given Kennards mid-round selection.

Again, don't ask me why Fewell went nickel 70% of a game.....he's got 2 linebackers out there, and only one of them (McClain) can properly play the run. J-Will has never been sound against the run, and yet he's out there, and guys like Herzlich and Paysinger are sitting on the bench.

If anything, Fewell was virtually begging Seattle to run all game long.

By the 3rd quarter, I would have at least tried something different, like a 4-4-3 alignment with 8 in the box......use that 4th LB (in this case, JWill) as a strong safety to shadow Wilson. What's the worst that could have happened, given that the defense was at the time playing like a turtle that was kicked over on top of its shell?

It's games like Seattle that tell me that Fewell needs to be replaced. Then I watch a game like Philly v. Carolina, and wish we had that same gambling, gang-tackling mentality. The guy coaching the Philly D is the same throwback to the Jim Johnson style that Spags was....and back then, the Giants were #7/#5 in defense, and leading the league in sacks.

When I look at the defense, I blame injuries, roster, and Fewell, not necessarily in that order.

Can't do much about the injuries, other than take a really close, analytical look at our roster issues over the past several seasons, and try to see if there is any causal relationship between how this team is conditioned, v. the nature and timing of the injuries....that takes a serious statistical review.

The roster is 100% on Reese.

I don't think the wave of injuries were expected....and really, they shouldn't be. Every team deals with injuries, but the amount the Giants have dealt with has been off the charts.....they went into the year absolutely loaded at cornerback.....halfway through the year, the unit has been devastated.

If I'm Mara/Tisch/Reese, then I'm going to look at both sides of the ball:

Offense:

I think the #1 goal for Mara/Tisch in 2014 was to give Eli the chance to regain his mojo. I think to a large extent, McAdoo has improved the offense. You have to factor injuries into the equation - Cruz lost, Jennings out, Schwartz out, Jernigan out. These are key guys that were supposed to turn this into a dangerous offense.

2 Time SB MVP having a bounceback year.....a guy that has at least 3-4 more years in his tank, and if he's anything like his older brother, maybe more than that. Everyone on the offense seems very positive about McAdoo..... big injuries, but not a single person griping. Offensively, their stats are very comparable to Arizona (8-1) and Detroit (7-2). Next year, it's reasonable to assume that Beckham continues to improve, and with luck, he's rejoined by Cruz and Jernigan. Offensively, a limited wish-list for 2015: pickup a physical guard so Richburg can take over at center. Look for more help at tight end. Really, it's a short list of needs.

Defense: Last in the league, coming off a total pounding. And for all my comments about injuries, it was the defensive front and linebackers getting reamed, not the secondary. Our so-called "star" of the defense telling reporters he was in the bathroom at halftime. Other defensive players talking trash during the week and then not showing up to play. We've got a DC in his 5th season, and the only consistent thing about his tenure has been his inconsistency. Yes, they won a SB in 2011, but if not for Eli having a blowout year, the team would never have qualified for the playoffs. And in 2011, and again in 2013, the defense only improved after players made impassioned pleas for Fewell to simplify the system and allow the players to play more and think less.

You look at the statistics, and since Spags left, this defense has been near the bottom of the league more often than not. It's not opinion, it's statistically true.

To me, the defense in 2014 is just as "broken" as the offense was in 2013 - probably even worse. Mara is no fool....you can't give up 350 yards rushing and 5 rushing TDs and ever hope to win a game. It doesn't matter who your QB is. Some of it is injruries, some of it is due to poor drafting, but I think much of it rests on a coordinator that simply isn't pushing the right buttons.

So, if the question is what is the most efficient fix, I'd say a change on defense, and really they need the special teams to jump up a notch. So far, the specials teams have done nothing to win anything this year, and gave away the Arizona game. And every year, you can point to at least 1 loss that is directly the result of special teams, plus another few games where sloppy special teams were a huge part of a big letdown.

If Coughlin retires, I can't blame him.....but if they fire him (which I would doubt) it would be based on fan emotion, not based on what Coughlin's record here supports.

Then again, emotional fans are their customers, so what the fans think does matter.

I think the coaches kept Kennard and Moore off the field for the most part mainly as a response to Reese's call for the young guys namely Moore to play more... could be a matter of ego... who knows.

I think the Giants will keep Coughlin and get rid of Fewel... unless Coughlin calls it quits on his own.

How many times have you heard his name out there? He's a good dude don't take me wrong.. but as a DE, he sucks donkey balls.

I was just talking about playing the run. Kiwi is better at that than he is as a pass rusher.

but yeah, maybe its time to put in Moore. I think I'd rather have someone out there who will make some splash plays from time to time. May give up more space to the run, but maybe he'll also penetrate and bring some drives to a halt.

Yep, you can put me in the camp that thinks that Moore will get better against the run by getting into game situations. In the interim, you can shade the MLB to his side a step or two to help accommodate if needed. Or, you can run the occasional corner blitz to his side to help.

There was an article that brought up the issue of Coughlin not playing the younger guys and for the longest time, I trusted that they were making the best decisions because they saw the players day to day. But I have to admit, with guys like Moore...and even Wilson before he got hurt...that trust is waning.

I was just talking about playing the run. Kiwi is better at that than he is as a pass rusher.

but yeah, maybe its time to put in Moore. I think I'd rather have someone out there who will make some splash plays from time to time. May give up more space to the run, but maybe he'll also penetrate and bring some drives to a halt.

Besides in a shit season like this, there's something to be said for putting your young guys out there... nothing beats hands on experience.

Yep, you can put me in the camp that thinks that Moore will get better against the run by getting into game situations. In the interim, you can shade the MLB to his side a step or two to help accommodate if needed. Or, you can run the occasional corner blitz to his side to help.

There was an article that brought up the issue of Coughlin not playing the younger guys and for the longest time, I trusted that they were making the best decisions because they saw the players day to day. But I have to admit, with guys like Moore...and even Wilson before he got hurt...that trust is waning.

That's what people think or are told.. Truth is it's like a tradition where you "have to earn your stripes" by warming the bench first...

How many times have you heard his name out there? He's a good dude don't take me wrong.. but as a DE, he sucks donkey balls.

I don't get this either, but its been Coughlin's M.O. since he's been here.

"Hey, we've got an unknown commodity who might be a good player or might be terrible... but you know what? Lets stick with the guy we KNOW sucks."

Honestly, the ends should be JPP and Ayers. The latter seems like he could be a real difference-maker if he got more snaps.

it was obvious to anyone with two eyes that coughlin was keeping one of our best skill players in wilson on the bench. who knows if being benched as long as he was cost us a win or 2 during his rookie season

I've had a few gripes against the Giants.. this is def one of them.

i don't like that he's not consistent with it. why did preston parker not get benched when he muffed that return? why did randle never get benched for all his mental gaffes?

This... Remember that game way back ...when he almost had a coronary screaming at Kiwi for letting a QB go because he was afraid of a roughing penalty...yet he lets some crazed lineman commit three penalties in a row... two of them personal fouls... :D