SportsWrath

Derick Ward, loses it. (Desean Jackson)

Virginia Giant

Wow Ward should have voiced his opinion on TV... He could have gotten paid... And speaking instead of writing would hide his spelling difficulties... He may have valid points but style accounts for something too.

damn.... that was a world class rant.

And what really sets it apart - he's right.

Its shameful how Jackson is getting crapped on. The guy is a douche bag, obviously... but they're making him out to be some sort of criminal. Its not right.

The funny thing is even if he was a criminal, that hasnt stopped a single Superbowl winning team or any team for that matter for keeping a guy on their team.

Fuck Ray Lewis probably killed someone. Micheal Irvin was known for slashing a guys neck open in a barber shop. Pacman Jones couldnt stop hanging around with gangs and beating people.

There's players in the Hall of Fame that probably ran with gang bangers their whole lives before and probably after being in the NFL.

Yet Jackson is now "too risky" to have on the team.

The NFL is starting to become abit to political, maybe that one guy was right and the NFL is going to implode in 10 years.

The NFL is starting to become abit to political, maybe that one guy was right and the NFL is going to implode in 10 years.

I could definitely see that happening, but not only for the reasons you mentioned. The game just isn't the same anymore.

Every fucking game, there's three 15 yard penalties for "unnecessary roughness" that would have been legal five years ago. You can't hit the quarterback except in a pre-defined area, and despite having a helmet on, if your hand slaps his head while you're pushed into him you get penalized. Every kickoff is a touchback. A play is over when a player loses a helmet. Fuck, even running backs aren't allowed to put their head down for extra yardage anymore.

Then there's the glorification of assholes. Wanna be a broadcaster when your career is over on the field? Be an asshole on the field. It worked for Warren Sapp, Michael Irvin, Deion Sanders, etc... and it sure as shit seems to be working for Richard Sherman, who's face is fucking everywhere in the world these days. That really moves the game forward.

And now we're supposed to get two more expansion teams in the next five years, so that we can distill the talent pool even further. Wonderful.

In the past four years, my interest in the NFL has gone from "rabid fan who follows every team" to "just keeping up with Giants news" to "passing interest in football." At some point it will probably become "guy who cares about football when he's at the bar and the game is on in front of him." They're really ruined their product.

I could definitely see that happening, but not only for the reasons you mentioned. The game just isn't the same anymore.

Every fucking game, there's three 15 yard penalties for "unnecessary roughness" that would have been legal five years ago. You can't hit the quarterback except in a pre-defined area, and despite having a helmet on, if your hand slaps his head while you're pushed into him you get penalized. Every kickoff is a touchback. A play is over when a player loses a helmet. Fuck, even running backs aren't allowed to put their head down for extra yardage anymore.

Then there's the glorification of assholes. Wanna be a broadcaster when your career is over on the field? Be an asshole on the field. It worked for Warren Sapp, Michael Irvin, Deion Sanders, etc... and it sure as shit seems to be working for Richard Sherman, who's face is fucking everywhere in the world these days. That really moves the game forward.

And now we're supposed to get two more expansion teams in the next five years, so that we can distill the talent pool even further. Wonderful.

In the past four years, my interest in the NFL has gone from "rabid fan who follows every team" to "just keeping up with Giants news" to "passing interest in football." At some point it will probably become "guy who cares about football when he's at the bar and the game is on in front of him." They're really ruined their product.

I only follow the Giants now and agree with each of your points...the game is too controlled...however I think the savagery and viciousness of the early 90's and prior would be possible today with guaranteed salaries as in baseball/basketball... a better retirement system where guys who are crippled in mind or body (sometimes both) are taken care of in comfort (e.g. at least middle class income levels) for the rest of their lives.

Yeah I used to watch any game on TV all day on Sundays, now I watch the Giants and thats pretty much it. If a really good game is on, like Broncos / Colts or something like that I may watch a little.

Plus now you have football on 3 nights a week, I always hated monay night football because fuck if I can stay up till 1 am and get up at 5. Now it's Thursday, don't even bother watching Monday or Thursday night football.

Then you have games in London, no telling where else in the future. Football used to be close to baseball for me, now its not close.

Yeah I used to watch any game on TV all day on Sundays, now I watch the Giants and thats pretty much it. If a really good game is on, like Broncos / Colts or something like that I may watch a little.

Plus now you have football on 3 nights a week, I always hated monay night football because fuck if I can stay up till 1 am and get up at 5. Now it's Thursday, don't even bother watching Monday or Thursday night football.

Then you have games in London, no telling where else in the future. Football used to be close to baseball for me, now its not close.

Football used to be my #1......now it's hockey #1, baseball #2, and football #3.

I know grammar and spelling "don't matter" on the internet, but as an educated person with above a 5th grade reading and writing level, that was fucking exhausting to read. Just brutal.

I think the changes we experience in the intensity if fandom is one we all go thru... I used to be a huge NBA fan... Now not so much.

I agree with all the safety measures the league has taken to keep players as safe as possible... The game is very vicious.

The #1 reason the Eagles released Jackson is money followed by attitude ( locker room cancer ) including bitching about his current contract with 3 years left. The so called gang related stuff was merely the final straw if it played any factor.

Don't feel sorry for Jackson.., he made his millions and probably will make a few more before it's all said and done. There was a time I wished he was on our team even though I thought he was a jerk at times.

I know grammar and spelling "don't matter" on the internet, but as an educated person with above a 5th grade reading and writing level, that was fucking exhausting to read. Just brutal.

lol so true.

Nas, talk is that Jackson went through money like water and it was part of the reason he wanted the Eagles to renegotiate his contract.

That's his problem ... He was set to make $10M+ this year and it's not hard to stop the stupid spending. Jackson seems to have surrounded himself by a lot of fake friends because the true ones would look out for him.

article-2591342-1CA2E5E600000578-487_634

This was written by a football player at UNC.

He got an A- for it.

The NCAA and College sports are a fucking joke, pushing althetes through who cant even read at a third grade level.

The article here; http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2591342/How-did-146-word-essay-Rosa-Parks-A-UNC-football-playerss-shocking-term-paper-released-whistleblower-alleges-widespread-academic-fraud.html

I only follow the Giants now and agree with each of your points...the game is too controlled...however I think the savagery and viciousness of the early 90's and prior would be possible today with guaranteed salaries as in baseball/basketball... a better retirement system where guys who are crippled in mind or body (sometimes both) are taken care of in comfort (e.g. at least middle class income levels) for the rest of their lives.

I agree with what you and Seph stated.

Basically I think the NFL needs to take a huge leap forward in terms of protective equipment.

I agree with what you and Seph stated.

Basically I think the NFL needs to take a huge leap forward in terms of protective equipment.

I think the game would get safer if they would switch back to more old fashioned helmets - these things today can be used as a weapon. Not necessarily leather, just switch to a soft-shell helmet.

article-2591342-1CA2E5E600000578-487_634

This was written by a football player at UNC.

He got an A- for it.

The NCAA and College sports are a fucking joke, pushing althetes through who cant even read at a third grade level.

The article here; http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2591342/How-did-146-word-essay-Rosa-Parks-A-UNC-football-playerss-shocking-term-paper-released-whistleblower-alleges-widespread-academic-fraud.html

It should be just like baseball ... a pure paid farm system for both the NFL and the NBA. But the NFL, NBA, major TV networks and universities/colleges are making billions off of guys that spell K-A-T cat, who won't make it to the pros and have no discernible job skills. Its a major exploitation of a population group that is veritably clue less.

I think the game would get safer if they would switch back to more old fashioned helmets - these things today can be used as a weapon. Not necessarily leather, just switch to a soft-shell helmet.

Yes true...the only guys who led with their heads back in the Bronco Nigurski era were maniacs who have long since left the gene pool. I once had an idiot compare a football helmet to a motorcycle helmet and I told them the facts of the situation: Motorcycle helmets are filled with a foam polymer liner that is designed to compress/collapse one time to reduce the acceleration of a skull against an immovable object one time only. In fact during any accident on a motorcycle however minor you are supposed to ditch the helmet and buy a new one. Even if there is no visible damage. Football helmets are designed totally different in that the cushioning is provided by gas filled liners for the most part. I suffered three concussions playing high school football...and I have had three major accidents on motorcycles...the last 26 years ago...none since thank GOD...but of those accidents including one where I was rocketed through my own fairing (windshield of the bike) I never suffered a concussion. Physics demonstrated on its most basic level.

Yes true...the only guys who led with their heads back in the Bronco Nigurski era were maniacs who have long since left the gene pool. I once had an idiot compare a football helmet to a motorcycle helmet and I told them the facts of the situation: Motorcycle helmets are filled with a foam polymer liner that is designed to compress/collapse one time to reduce the acceleration of a skull against an immovable object one time only. In fact during any accident on a motorcycle however minor you are supposed to ditch the helmet and buy a new one. Even if there is no visible damage. Football helmets are designed totally different in that the cushioning is provided by gas filled liners for the most part. I suffered three concussions playing high school football...and I have had three major accidents on motorcycles...the last 26 years ago...none since thank GOD...but of those accidents including one where I was rocketed through my own fairing (windshield of the bike) I never suffered a concussion. Physics demonstrated on its most basic level.

Thank you, Encyclopedia :WS:

It should be just like baseball ... a pure paid farm system for both the NFL and the NBA. But the NFL, NBA, major TV networks and universities/colleges are making billions off of guys that spell K-A-T cat, who won't make it to the pros and have no discernible job skills. Its a major exploitation of a population group that is veritably clue less.

Pay them? Fine, take away sports scholarships and make them pay for their education like everybody else.