SportsWrath

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie coming back for a second day of talks

BleedinBlue

Sounds like maybe they have something in the works. The Giants spent the day with him and now they are going to spend tomorrow with him as well. Sounds like they are cooking up something.

(according to Ralph Vacchiano on twitter)

Why? I never thought he was all that...

I never did, either.

And from Ralph V, he's already had a physical with the Jets, so I don't think that is necessarily something that indicates we are on the verge of signing him. Just that we are interested and the Giants still in the cards for him.

Still. he's a solid corner that despite being all around the league already in his short career, can come in and immediately start for us.

I'm worried he could be way overpriced. His name is bigger than his play.

I don't think the Giants will overpay... I think by now he knows his market value and will probably sign with us... also I wouldn't rule out Rolle restructuring (even taking a slight paycut) in order to bolster the DB position.

I think the Giants are pretty solid at getting a number and sticking to it for the most part. So, I don't see them overpaying. Now, they might not assign a value to DRC that we all agree with, but that's different than overpaying I think.

I believe Prince is our #1...without question. Bringing in Thurmond, DRC, and having McBride battle it out for the 2-4 DB spots...I'm completely fine with.

Further, we have safeties coming out our asses at this point...so if Rolle doesn't restructure, he could face being cut...which I would NOT want to see especially because I want him to play S and S only for a season to see how good he can be without having to worry about covering a CB's duties.

I think the Giants are pretty solid at getting a number and sticking to it for the most part. So, I don't see them overpaying. Now, they might not assign a value to DRC that we all agree with, but that's different than overpaying I think.

I believe Prince is our #1...without question. Bringing in Thurmond, DRC, and having McBride battle it out for the 2-4 DB spots...I'm completely fine with.

Further, we have safeties coming out our asses at this point...so if Rolle doesn't restructure, he could face being cut...which I would NOT want to see especially because I want him to play S and S only for a season to see how good he can be without having to worry about covering a CB's duties.

I'm not as sold on Rolle as you are... I like him but still think he's overpriced. If you were to put a value on Rolle and compare that to his contract, the difference should = pay cut which can help us bring in more guys.

You can't make Rolle take a paycut and after the season he had last year, you'd get laughed out the fucking door. You'd have to sign him to an extension in order to free up cap space. Rolle is a good player, but I'm not in any hurry to sign a 31 year old safety to a long term deal.

rolle is "overpriced" because we backloaded his deal when we signed him. it's the tradeoff to keeping someone's cap number under the average yearly earnings of the contract the first couple of seasons. we don't get to enjoy him for cheap the first two seasons and then complain that he's overpaid when it comes time to pay the piper

rolle is "overpriced" because we backloaded his deal when we signed him. it's the tradeoff to keeping someone's cap number under the average yearly earnings of the contract the first couple of seasons. we don't get to enjoy him for cheap the first two seasons and then complain that he's overpaid when it comes time to pay the piper

I've always thought he was overpriced... I don't know what the #s are... anyone can bring up his $$ #s?

And I thought this past season was by far his best as a Giant. With Thurmond on board now to cover the slot receiver - a task often assigned to Rolle, because even though it wasn't his natural position, he was the best we had - Rolle will be playing more to his strengths this year.

Don't get me wrong...I'm a fan of Rolle and I think he's done very, very well given he's been asked to play LB, S, CB on any given play over the past several years.

I'm simply looking at the high salary and the depth behind him as an option to create salary cap space...and adding to that the potential that he may be willing to do so if he can see the savings going toward the secondary...allowing him to play more of his natural S position.

i don't think he cares about that as much as he cares about his bank account--maybe if he hadn't already won a superbowl. i'd be more open to an extension than a paycut depending on the terms of course

Let the guys who are paid to be cap experts work that out. They asked Snee to take a pay cut already and he did. They asked Baas the same and he didn't, and was cut. Nicks, Tuck, and Joseph are gone. We have had a lot of free agent signings, but at this point, I don't even know that we even need to ask Rolle to take a pay cut.

Rolle had a GREAT season last year. Further, if you think about who really went out, and from start to finish, played with heart all year long, and played very well, there are only a few guys that come to mind, and Rolle was one of them. Asking him to take a pay cut now would be inappropriate and cause a problem with a leader on your team. I disagree with Nas that he is a good player paid like a great player. Rolle is a great player. Further, he will make $7 million this year which I don't think is out of line for a player of his caliber. Plus, this is the last year of his deal. For a comparison, Eric Berry will make $8.4 million this season, and I believe Rolle is coming off of a better year.

Don't get me wrong...I'm a fan of Rolle and I think he's done very, very well given he's been asked to play LB, S, CB on any given play over the past several years.

I'm simply looking at the high salary and the depth behind him as an option to create salary cap space...and adding to that the potential that he may be willing to do so if he can see the savings going toward the secondary...allowing him to play more of his natural S position.

This is exactly my take.

Let the guys who are paid to be cap experts work that out. They asked Snee to take a pay cut already and he did. They asked Baas the same and he didn't, and was cut. Nicks, Tuck, and Joseph are gone. We have had a lot of free agent signings, but at this point, I don't even know that we even need to ask Rolle to take a pay cut.

Rolle had a GREAT season last year. Further, if you think about who really went out, and from start to finish, played with heart all year long, and played very well, there are only a few guys that come to mind, and Rolle was one of them. Asking him to take a pay cut now would be inappropriate and cause a problem with a leader on your team. I disagree with Nas that he is a good player paid like a great player. Rolle is a great player. Further, he will make $7 million this year which I don't think is out of line for a player of his caliber. Plus, this is the last year of his deal. For a comparison, Eric Berry will make $8.4 million this season, and I believe Rolle is coming off of a better year.

Bingo. $7 mil is a fair price. His cap price != salary. The Giants have restructured him and moved previous years' cap liability forward.