SportsWrath

Giants defensive problems this past season starting to get exposed

Nas

I think our defensive turn around this season had more to do with the qbs we played then the actual play of our defense.

Fewell should have lost his job with glibride. We pride ourselves on pass rush and our team is loaded with pass rushers but yet we were at the bottom of the league in sacks.

Defense wasn't the problem this season which is why Fewell still has his job.

I think our defensive turn around this season had more to do with the qbs we played then the actual play of our defense.

Fewell should have lost his job with glibride. We pride ourselves on pass rush and our team is loaded with pass rushers but yet we were at the bottom of the league in sacks.

Well, the qbs we played put us in the top ten in defense. That wouldn't have happened in a normal season--but there was improvement.

I agree that he should have lost his job, though. Not for this season, but for the previous seasons. Seems incredibly short-sighted to keep him on. Especially when we are going to see turnover on this D very shortly--Osi gone, Tuck with one foot out the door...unless JPP recovers, we don't really have a pass rushing line anymore.

is it though? it used to be.

Jpp, tuck, kiwi, you could probably even argue Jenkins and Moore, that's more than what most teams have. Not to mention our blitzes were telegraphed. This also isn't the first year we've had this problem under Fewell.

I think our defensive turn around this season had more to do with the qbs we played then the actual play of our defense

As did 90% of our wins.

Agreed. Week 7 to week 11 we didn't play a legit starting qb. Those games more than likely would've been 4 losses. We are a 3-4 win team this year in my eyes.

Agreed. Week 7 to week 11 we didn't play a legit starting qb. Those games more than likely would've been 4 losses. We are a 3-4 win team this year in my eyes.

Meaning this coming year? I haven't looked at the schedule but yeah, unfortunately I agree.

Huh?

JPP didn't even a training camp as he recovered from back surgery and he didn't exactly light the world on fire in 2012, either.

Tuck, outside of a 6 week stretch in 2011 has been dog shit since.

Kiwi might as well be on the back of a milk carton.

You saying those guys lack the talent or skills to get pressure on the qb?

Defense was just as big as a problem as the offense until we started playing shitty qbs.

I'll argue differently. The defense didn't play half as bad as the offense the first 5 weeks. The offense gives up 6 turnovers week 1. Goes 1-11 on third down in a blowout in week two. Week 3 the offense gets shut out, goes 3-12 on third down and only manages 10 first downs. Then there was that week 4 blowout, offense goes 1-14 on third down and 11 first downs on our way two the second blowout of the season. Week 5 the offense turns the ball over 4 times in our own territory along with a pick 6.

I'll breakdown the rest of the season another day.

I'll argue differently. The defense didn't play half as bad as the offense the first 5 weeks. The offense gives up 6 turnovers week 1. Goes 1-11 on third down in a blowout in week two. Week 3 the offense gets shut out, goes 3-12 on third down and only manages 10 first downs. Then there was that week 4 blowout, offense goes 1-14 on third down and 11 first downs on our way two the second blowout of the season. Week 5 the offense turns the ball over 4 times in our own territory along with a pick 6.

No need to. I never said the offense wasn't bad. Both were bad. Both need drastic changes unfortunately we can't do that all in one offseason.

Huh?

JPP didn't even a training camp as he recovered from back surgery and he didn't exactly light the world on fire in 2012, either.

Tuck, outside of a 6 week stretch in 2011 has been dog shit since.

Kiwi might as well be on the back of a milk carton.

Tuck had a good season, first relatively healthy season he's had in a while too.

Yep, the O gave them zero to work with.

No need to. I never said the offense wasn't bad. Both were bad. Both need drastic changes unfortunately we can't do that all in one offseason.

Lets see what happens with the three big defensive free agents Tuck, Joseph, and Beason. McBride, Thomas and Ross can all be brought back at a decent price. Hopefully Rolle gets a contract extension and we get some cap relief with a restructure.

Well, the qbs we played put us in the top ten in defense. That wouldn't have happened in a normal season--but there was improvement.

I agree that he should have lost his job, though. Not for this season, but for the previous seasons. Seems incredibly short-sighted to keep him on. Especially when we are going to see turnover on this D very shortly--Osi gone, Tuck with one foot out the door...unless JPP recovers, we don't really have a pass rushing line anymore.

I don't love Fewell, but when you take the 31st-ranked defense to the 8th in a year, you've probably bought yourself another season... especially with an offense that was a turnover and 3-and-out machine.

I don't love Fewell, but when you take the 31st-ranked defense to the 8th in a year, you've probably bought yourself another season... especially with an offense that was a turnover and 3-and-out machine.

Like I said, Seph, I understand that.

But on the other hand, who was running things when we sunk down to 31st? I'm looking at the cumulative results of his time here, not season by season. We improved to 17th in 2010, 25th in 2011.

To put it kindly, his time here has been...erratic.

You guys are being a little overly critical. Despite playing those shitty QBs, it's not like the defense ever had anything but a short field to defend, what with 500 turnovers. You can't win when you're putting up 4 turnovers a game. Mix in an inability to score anything but a field goal in the red zone and it was a recipe for a shit sandwich.

Meanwhile, our defense forced turnovers and made red zone stops. That's really all you can ask from your defense. In this league in this day and age, you can't expect a defense prop up an offense that can't score any points, can't move the ball, and is only good at giving the ball to the other team.