SportsWrath

Giants defensive problems this past season starting to get exposed

Nas

Like I said, Seph, I understand that.

But on the other hand, who was running things when we sunk down to 31st? I'm looking at the cumulative results of his time here, not season by season. We improved to 17th in 2010, 25th in 2011.

To put it kindly, his time here has been...erratic.

Well, when you put it like that, Coughlin either goes to the Super Bowl or his team hovers around mediocrity or gets blown out playoff games.

Resign Joseph & Beason, find a healthy, competent corner or two....but I think the biggest question is JPP. If he gets back to his dominant form, that will cover up a lot of ills.

Agree....JPP is a huge wildcard.

If you can generate a 4 man pass rush, it gives any decent defensive coordinator a ton of options.

And I think Fewell is a decent coordinator, but not special.

Too much faith in scheme over player, similar to Gilbride, IMO.

As others have mentioned, injuries were a big issue, and I think he's been shortchanged at MLB for most of his tenure....finally got an instinctive MLB and it made a huge difference....unfortunately, Reese waited until the team was in an 0-5 hole before he realized how fucked up his linebacker priorities were.

I still think an OLB is necessary.....Rivers is painfully average, and Paysinger scares no team.

The defense needs another guy in the back 7 that can bring some lumber... and the Giants need SOMEONE on this team that can fuck up the opponent's blitz pickups.

Its crazy to see the expectations and low standards we have for our defense anymore.

I'm sure you have seen some of the defenses out there. But it wasn't the issue this season for this team. The game, as it's played today, puts the defense at an inherent disadvantage.

Sure, we could all yearn for the days of Sam Garnes, Percy Ellsworth, the Wills, Christian Peter, Coleman Rudolph, Corey Miller and Widmer, Thomas Randolph, Cedric Jones, etc. etc. :ermm: but we've had it pretty good on that side of the ball.

I'm sure you have seen some of the defenses out there. But it wasn't the issue this season for this team. The game, as it's played today, puts the defense at an inherent disadvantage.

Sure, we could all yearn for the days of Sam Garnes, Percy Ellsworth, the Wills, Christian Peter, Coleman Rudolph, Corey Miller and Widmer, Thomas Randolph, Cedric Jones, etc. etc. :ermm: but we've had it pretty good outside on that side of the ball.

Not counting the lucky midseason stretch vs shitty qbs or the last game of the season we gave up 368 yards per game on average which would have ranked us 24th.. Big jump from 8th.

Gilbrides O was ranked 28th this past season his first time out of the top 15 since 2007. Fewell was ranked bottom 5 in 2011 and 2012. Also, besides 2010, Fewells defenses never finished in the top 10.

My point is our D wasn't as good as the final stats indicated and both Gilbride and Fewell should have been canned after this miserable season.

Its crazy to see the expectations and low standards we have for our defense anymore.

This... I've never been a fan of Fewel... our D went to shit after John Fox left us... then we had a good run in Spags' 2nd year.. then he bolted. I want a tough D more than a top notch O. Every time Romo and fucking Witten march down the field on us I lose years from my life.

Not counting the lucky midseason stretch vs shitty qbs or the last game of the season we gave up 368 yards per game on average which would have ranked us 24th.. Big jump from 8th.

Gilbrides O was ranked 28th this past season his first time out of the top 15 since 2007. Fewell was ranked bottom 5 in 2011 and 2012. Also, besides 2010, Fewells defenses never finished in the top 10.

My point is our D wasn't as good as the final stats indicated and both Gilbride and Fewell should have been canned after this miserable season.

I judge a defense by keeping opponents from scoring, creating turnovers, forcing third down situations and keeping opponents from successful third and fourth down attempts.

Going back to a point Drizzle makes that the rules have been changed year after year to put defenses at a disadvantage and promote high scoring games. Offensive records are being shattered regularly now.

Yards used to mean a lot to me too, and Fewell is the bend but don't break defensive coordinator.

I judge a defense by keeping opponents from scoring, creating turnovers, forcing third down situations and keeping opponents from successful third and fourth down attempts.

Going back to a point Drizzle makes that the rules have been changed year after year to put defenses at a disadvantage and promote high scoring games. Offensive records are being shattered regularly now.

Yards used to mean a lot to me too, and Fewell is the bend but don't break defensive coordinator.

My impression of Fewel's defense is it bends but doesn't break yet it can never get us that stop when we absolutely need it. Fewel's defense lack attitude and imagination.

Again, there's a reason for that. And it's the offense inability to string any drives together or keep themselves from spewing the ball to the other team.

Someone should tell Seattle.

Amen, and SF.

2 teams out of 32. Hey, if you can devote that amount of resources to your defense, strike it rich in the later rounds with guys like Richard Sherman, and still have a solid QB who doesn't take up a 3rd of your cap space, all the more power to you. The Giants and most other teams just don't have that luxury and concessions have to be made in an offensive league. When you factor in the fact that most players have a very small window in which they are effective in this league, it's tough to have all of these things happen at the right time. The stars literally have to align.