SportsWrath

Aaron Curry?

Bigblue25

Published: May 6, 2013 at 08:00 p.m.

Updated: May 6, 2013 at 09:22 p.m.

Aaron Curry reportedly will meet with New York Giants

Dan Hanzus

Around the League Writer

Aaron Curry's quest toward an NFL return will go through the Meadowlands.

The New York Daily News reported Monday that Curry is planning to make a free agent visit to the Giants on Thursday. A source told the Daily News that Curry "has been working out and feels healthy." The Giants are said to be one of several interested teams.

The fourth overall pick in the 2009 draft, Curry has been out of work since being released by the Oakland Raiders last November. He worked out with the Chicago Bears and Cincinnati Bengals after his release, but he was unable to land a contract.

The Giants are searching for depth at linebacker, making Curry a player worth considering. That said, Curry comes with some flapping medical red flags. Chronic knee injuries have plagued him dating from his time with the Seattle Seahawks. He spent eight games on the Physically Unable to Perform list last season because of knee issues and played just 18 snaps before the Raiders cut ties with him.

Last year, the Giants traded for linebacker Keith Rivers, also a notable draft bust. Perhaps the G-men view Curry as another redemption project.

Follow Dan Hanzus on Twitter @DanHanzus

© 2012 NFL Enterprises LLC. NFL and the NFL shield design are registered trademarks of the National Football League.The team names, logos and uniform designs are registered trademarks of the teams indicated. All other NFL-related trademarks are trademarks of the National Football League. NFL footage © NFL Productions LLC.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000167383/article/aaron-curry-reportedly-will-meet-with-new-york-giants

I think what we have now (still hoping we land Karlos Dansby) is pretty good in terms of LBs. JW is coming onto his own.. Conner is far more athletic than Boley or Chase ever were... Yes I contend our LBs this upcoming season are better than that of 2012...

Personally, I'd rather go with the kids with good legs. Nothing more frustrating than paying big bucks watching a player (who was great in college, but always hurt in the NFL) go on and off the injured reserve list. I'd rather keep Charles Dieuseul on the team at league minimum, who is much younger, faster, stronger, and has fresh legs with a mind eager to learn and dying to prove himself.

Curry has "medical red flags" all over him and chronic knee problems. I hate watching players go back and forth on the injured reserve list - especially high paid players. Very, very frustrating.

Personally, I'd rather go with the kids with good legs. Nothing more frustrating than paying big bucks watching a player (who was great in college, but always hurt in the NFL) go on and off the injured reserve list. I'd rather keep Charles Dieuseul on the team at league minimum, who is much younger, faster, stronger, and has fresh legs with a mind eager to learn and dying to prove himself.

Curry has "medical red flags" all over him and chronic knee problems. I hate watching players go back and forth on the injured reserve list - especially high paid players. Very, very frustrating.

We also have Muasau.

with a little stretching and yoga.. CUrry will become the Pro Bowl player that he's born to be!!!.. you wait and watch!!!!

Him and Rivers, can have a whose more fragile contest, by throwing stones at each other.

And the dumpster-diving continues. Is Kevin Lewis available?

You know.. I can see where you would think that but it's not like the Giants are throwing the cash register at these guys. The guy had bad luck with injuries but he maybe healthy and maybe ready to bring it. I had high hopes for Rivers but he hasn't panned out... this guy may. Let's keep an open mind.

let's read some of the scouting report before they were drafted..... and pray they can live up to half of it.

AAron Curry..

Aaron Curry's Scouting Report

By Matt McGuire

Strengths: Elite size and strength ... Solid timed speed in the 4.6 range ... Very solid production over past three seasons ... Great instincts; does not hesitate or second guess the development of the play ... Playmaker who makes clutch tackles on third down and jars the ball loose ... Is a threat to rush the quarterback ... Works through the trash to get to the ball-carrier ... Aggressive ... Rarely misses tackles ... Textbook usage with his hands ... Strong at the point of attack ... Takes sound, consistent angles to the football ... Will take on a block ... Extreme versatility to play 4-3 SAM and 4-3 or 3-4 ILB, but can also occasionally play 3-4 OLB ... Leads by example.

Weaknesses: Sluggish hips in zone coverage ... Not much of a playmaker against the pass ... Questionable ability to change directions ... Occasionally gets too high when taking on blockers.

Summary: It really seems like to me everyone in the Draftnik community got together and just one day declared Aaron Curry as a top five pick. I love Curry the player, but to be a top-eight player on my Draft board as a 4-3 outside linebacker you better have very fluid hips (like Derrick Brooks as a prospect) and have the ability to play the Tampa 2 WILL, which Curry does not. Bottom line is Curry certainly has weaknesses going untalked about, but in the end, I do project him as a top-15 pick.

Player Comparison: Takeo Spikes. Spikes was the prototypical strongside NFL linebacker because of his talent against the run and his toughness. Athletically, these players are very similar.

Keith Rivers.

Keith Rivers Scouting Report

Position: OLB Conference: Pac12 School: USC Trojans Year/Status: Drafted Jersey Number: #55 Height & Weight: 6'3 - 235 lbs.

Drafted 1.9 in 2008 by CIN

2008 NFL Draft Prospect Scouting Report:

Keith Rivers, OLB, USC

Rivers has the size and speed combination that NFL scouts love in outside linebacker prospects. He plays sideline to sideline from his weak-side outside linebacker position. He shows very good closing burst as a pass rusher when he has a line to the QB. Rivers plays with a very good motor and will not give up on a play and he is great in backside pursuit. He lacks ideal bulk in his lower body, but has the frame to add size. Rivers has the instinct to contribute in his first year as a special teams player and could start immediately if put into the right defensive scheme. Battling injury throughout the 2007 campaign, he missed one game and still compiled 78 tackles and 5 tackles for loss. Rivers is not great at any one thing, but he is very good at a lot of things. Rivers has impressed scouts at the Senior Bowl because of his playing speed and the mean streak he has displayed. He is a consistent player and will contribute immediately. Keith Rivers blew scouts away at USC's pro day on April 2nd. He ran the forty yard dash in 4.51 and 4.55 and had a 42 inch vertical jump (5 inches higher than any other linebacker). Rivers has solidified his spot in the top-half of the first round. Look for a team like the Bengals, Broncos, or the Saints to take Rivers.

You know.. I can see where you would think that but it's not like the Giants are throwing the cash register at these guys. The guy had bad luck with injuries but he maybe healthy and maybe ready to bring it. I had high hopes for Rivers but he hasn't panned out... this guy may. Let's keep an open mind.

That's true but I'd much rather we spend some money one ONE starting caliber linebacker than a fourth-string receiver (Murphy), a fourth DT (Hankins) or our, what... fifth-string DE (Moore).

People say that our LBs don't see the field but Chase Blackburn got more playing time last year than those three guys are going to see this season combined.

I wouldn't mind picking up Curry if he wasn't a cap killer. He plays the SAM and would compete head to head with Rivers (and Kiwi if he ends up going back to the strong side). The MIKE is sewed up with Conner and Herzlich and the WILL is set with Williams and Paysinger (and Cooper Taylor can probably slide right into the spot as well). Also, I suspect that Sabino might make the team and he's a SAM.

Sabino is an interesting prospect. His senior year at Ohio State was cut short by a broken fibula so his draft stock fell. Even so, NFL Scout had him rated as going in the 4th or 5th round (which -yeah, I know - means nothing in the long run), but he fell through the cracks and was signed by the Giants within minutes after the draft ended so the Giants must have targeted him and their scouts must have seen something they liked.

That's true but I'd much rather we spend some money one ONE starting caliber linebacker than a fourth-string receiver (Murphy), a fourth DT (Hankins) or our, what... fifth-string DE (Moore).

People say that our LBs don't see the field but Chase Blackburn got more playing time last year than those three guys are going to see this season combined.

Those rookies maybe 4th and 5th string today but no sound organization relies on rookies to be starters... it's not so much the money.. and a lot to do with what would you get for that money and right now there really aren't LBs out there who are worth the money.. at least that's how the Giants see it.

We did on Connor