SportsWrath

Does no one remember the defense collapse in 2008?

Plax may have shot himself in the leg but it didn't mean the D had to take the last five games of the season off, including the playoffs.

Spags couldn't change his game plan to save his life and it was one of the reasons why the Giants didn't repeat that year.

Without an all star D-line with a HoF player on it he couldn't really do anything.

Does no one remember the defense collapse in 2008?

Plax may have shot himself in the leg but it didn't mean the D had to take the last five games of the season off, including the playoffs.

Spags couldn't change his game plan to save his life and it was one of the reasons why the Giants didn't repeat that year.

Without an all star D-line with a HoF player on it he couldn't really do anything.

I'd still take Spags over Fewel anyday.

Spags was a genius for schemes to get to the QB and he had the luxury of Strahan and an inspired rookie named Osi sandwiching stud Cofield and Robbins and a youngster named Alford who spelled Robbins. It was a dream defensive line that was a nightmare for opposing teams. The linebackers were a squad run by Antonio Pierce with a young/hungry talented Kiwi beside him. Webster was peaking as CB, etc.

He had a great staff to work with and his goal was simple - don't give the QB any time to do anything right.

That whole setup no longer exists. Don't get me wrong, I love Spags, but it'd take a couple of down years rebuilding the defense around Spag's scheme.

I think Fewell deserves one more year to see if the bodies he's been given to fit his scheme works. If not...the man has got to go!

Spags was a genius for schemes to get to the QB and he had the luxury of Strahan and an inspired rookie named Osi sandwiching stud Cofield and Robbins and a youngster named Alford who spelled Robbins. It was a dream defensive line that was a nightmare for opposing teams. The linebackers were a squad run by Antonio Pierce with a young/hungry talented Kiwi beside him. Webster was peaking as CB, etc.

He had a great staff to work with and his goal was simple - don't give the QB any time to do anything right.

That whole setup no longer exists. Don't get me wrong, I love Spags, but it'd take a couple of down years rebuilding the defense around Spag's scheme.

I think Fewell deserves one more year to see if the bodies he's been given to fit his scheme works. If not...the man has got to go!

Osi was in his 5th year by the time Spags came around.

I'm not sure what superstars we had aside from Strahan... Spags' style of defense is very different than the timid unimaginative Fewel.

What I don't understand is that Sheridan was run out of town with the 13th total ranked D in yards per game... Fewell's is 31st and somehow he sticks around.

Sheridan didn't have a JPP, and Antrel Rolle, or a Prince Amukamara on his D either.

Spags didn't have much to work with in St. Louis or New Orleans. St. Louis actually had some toughness with Spags, seeing how Sam Bradford was always hurt and his starting QB was a carousel, with guys like Bulger, Kyle Boller, and Keith Null. If your offense can't get first downs your defense is going to look bad.

In New Orleans, that team quit because they didn't have Payton. Plus, when your best two players are Jabari Greer and Will Smith (who was suspended for the first 4 games), you're in trouble. Especially when your defensive leader basically missed the entire year (Vilma).

I just don't think it's fair to judge Spags on his time with New Orleans and St. Louis, I still think he's a very good defensive coach. And I think he will prove himself again as a great defensive coordinator at some point.

I want Spags back.. The guy basically took us to the Superbowl in 07-08. agree with Jim, you can't judge the dude who only had 1 to 2 years with a team.

As you judge him for 1-2 years with the giants.

Because Perry Fewell and his awesome 31st-ranked defense is unstoppable.

Exactly... Sometimes the stubbornness of our FO is maddening.

Yup, it's really a bummer.

I'll say this for Spags, his defenses gave up some plays, but I always felt like the defense was attempting to pressure the offense.

Fewell's D always seems to be on their heels.......it's 7 guys in the back hoping that 4 guys up front get to the QB.

Bingo.

Michael Strahan...he should still be receiving stipends from the Giants players...former, current, retired...as well as coaches that he helped elevate because of his abilities. Spags was found out...it was the personnel...and what does this have to do with Fewell...he sucks as well...but so what...replace one guy who won more because of who was here and let go a guy who also like Spags went to a Super Bowl? Nostalgia always makes the gone look better than the now...

Michael Strahan...he should still be receiving stipends from the Giants players...former, current, retired...as well as coaches that he helped elevate because of his abilities. Spags was found out...it was the personnel...and what does this have to do with Fewell...he sucks as well...but so what...replace one guy who won more because of who was here and let go a guy who also like Spags went to a Super Bowl? Nostalgia always makes the gone look better than the now...

I don't think you can solely pin the Giants' success with Spags on Strahan.. yes Stra was great but even he would have not so stellar games. The differences as I see it was the scheme... one defense is aggressive... attacking.. chasing.. and the other is playing catch up with receivers while the QB sits back in what it seems forever... no fucking way Spags is similar to Fewel... in the first of the 2 super bowl seasons it was our defense that suffocated the opponent... in the last it was Eli and the O that carried this team..

There's a reason teams rarely repeat a Super Bowl season. Your best players want more money, you're squeezed because of the cap, you can't keep all the players you want to keep, and most of all...other teams are constantly rebuilding and build schemes to defeat the scheme that worked for you in the past. It's called "asset management" and it takes a near genius to manage assets in such a way as to stay on a winning path. New England has done very well with it...as has Pittsburg...and of course, the Giants.

It takes a master head coach and general manager just to keep a team in the winning column and hopefully the playoffs, let alone repeat one of the best seasons the team ever had. The point here is...Spags surprised a lot of teams with his defensive scheme. But then everyone and their neighbor knew what to expect and adjusted for it. There is no guarantee that Spag's scheme would continue to fool every opponent year after year.

I was reading an article on the strategy of the Cowboys and it shows just how important (and crippling) the salary cap can be if you don't constantly adjust. Sometimes, you just have to let your great players go because if you don't, you won't be able to compete in the future thanks to the cap. Check it out...very good article (IMO): http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2013/05/03/witten-wisdom-the-cap-related-secret-behind-cowboys-replacement-draft-picks/

Strahan was a monster during that run just like Nicks was in the latest run. Guy was carrying the team.

There's a reason teams rarely repeat a Super Bowl season. Your best players want more money, you're squeezed because of the cap, you can't keep all the players you want to keep, and most of all...other teams are constantly rebuilding and build schemes to defeat the scheme that worked for you in the past. It's called "asset management" and it takes a near genius to manage assets in such a way as to stay on a winning path. New England has done very well with it...as has Pittsburg...and of course, the Giants.

It takes a master head coach and general manager just to keep a team in the winning column and hopefully the playoffs, let alone repeat one of the best seasons the team ever had. The point here is...Spags surprised a lot of teams with his defensive scheme. But then everyone and their neighbor knew what to expect and adjusted for it. There is no guarantee that Spag's scheme would continue to fool every opponent year after year.

I was reading an article on the strategy of the Cowboys and it shows just how important (and crippling) the salary cap can be if you don't constantly adjust. Sometimes, you just have to let your great players go because if you don't, you won't be able to compete in the future thanks to the cap. Check it out...very good article (IMO): http://dfw.cbslocal....nt-draft-picks/

That's true however Spags has showng imagination whereas Fewel is a one-trick pony... a trick that has been figured out. His inability to adjust or change the temp of the game is maddending. Spags showed fire... he moved like he had blood gushing thru his veins... Fewel is more like Beuhelr Beuhler... beuhler... fuck somebody get that man some coffee.

And they forget it took several games for his defense to get going each season, much like Fewell's in 2011, whose defense blanked the Falcons and held 3 more of the most prolific offenses in the NFL to 20 points and under.

I mean, come on guys, what has Spags done lately?

Fewell's defense was essential in winning a Super Bowl (several years ago!), too. Let's look ahead, not behind. Spagnuolo will probably never be a coach here again.