SportsWrath

Beatty re-signs...5 years

gmenroc

I'll add my comment to this thead:

Good, I like him at Left Tackle and it makes o-line less of a need in the first round. Not saying o-line in the 1st round would still be a bad thing, but if we couldn't re-sign him it would be more of a need.

I still don't think this negates a first round OT. I highly doubt any of the top 3 fall to us (Joeckel, Fisher, Lane). Everyone is thinking they'll be gone by #11. What that does mean though, is that one of the top rated DT or DE will fall to us. So I'm still of the opinion that we can get a D-Linement in the first with a OT in the second. A Kyle Long is intriguing to me with our 2nd.

what?!?!?! this freaking kid haven't product jack shit just a little bit last season and now he's rewarded a big ass contract??.. i want him to do good but it just sucks he was limited the first few years.

Yep, but it something the Giants had no choice.. remember there are always teams like the Raiders who will pay...

It's actually a good deal. Watch, some of the other free agent left tackles will get more money than Beatty.

that's true,, all the proven LT are asking for top dollars.... like.. Jake Long..or Joe Thomas.

I guess it's ok deal.. if he pan out.. we struck gold (unless he holds out, asking for higher dollar bills) or he can suck balls and we cut or restructure his contract.

Good signing.

The rest of the OL from LG over to RT is still wide open for us to acquire players via free agency or the draft.

Boothe is a free agent.

Baas will be 32 and is sub-par anyway

Diehl & Snee have clearly regressed and are past their prime

Haven't really seen anything out of James Brewer to make me believe he's anything other than a backup at this point.

I still don't think this negates a first round OT. I highly doubt any of the top 3 fall to us (Joeckel, Fisher, Lane). Everyone is thinking they'll be gone by #11. What that does mean though, is that one of the top rated DT or DE will fall to us. So I'm still of the opinion that we can get a D-Linement in the first with a OT in the second. A Kyle Long is intriguing to me with our 2nd.

Agreed. OL is high on the list.

Def still need some o-line help from the draft.

Snee - injury took a major hit on him last year. he will come back but won't be the all-pro guard that he was but still avg/above avg at best.

Baas - was never really high on this guy but the signing was ok for his service. Avg at best.

Delhi - age has taken a toll on the guy. He no longer has the speed for a tackle. Maybe still serviceable on guard. Need a replacement soon

Beatty - young and has talent. But I haven't seen anything that stands out. Guy was injury most of the time. Performance are Just avg at best. . the giants paid for a gamble which was worth the risk. Cut him next season if he don't pan out. Keep him if he can do a avg or above avg job. Good risk from the giants.

Who the fuck is gonna be our guard??? This is where the draft comes in. We got super lucky when we drafted snee on the second round. Lets hope we can do that again.

Overall we still need help on the line. Only chance is draft or some lucky Cruz magic where we get a guy on the streets. Maybe that Petrus guy we cut comes back after changing his life and become a determine player.

what?!?!?! this freaking kid haven't product jack shit just a little bit last season and now he's rewarded a big ass contract??.. i want him to do good but it just sucks he was limited the first few years.

He started for us in 2011, too. Did fine until the eye injury.

Anyone know what our cap situation is after this?

Not sure what our cap number was before this...and we don't know the salary per year on Beatty's deal. What we do know, is that the signing bonus for Beatty was 12.5, so the bonus proration for this year is 2.5 million.

If the total contract was 38.5 and 12.5 of it was bonus money, that leaves 26 of it as salary. Taking 26 over 5 years and the average salary is 5.2. Figure it's the first year of the deal, the salary is probably closer to the 4-4.5 range.

So to ball park it, I'd look at 6.5 - 7 million this year against the cap.

LT: Beatty (needs a backup)

LG: Nobody on roster. Boothe?

C: Baas (needs replaced soon)

RG: Snee (needs replaced sooner then later)

RT: Brewer? Diehl? (Sucks) F/A? Draft?

I like Boothe a lot.. but he's GREAT coming off the bench. I don't think he can handle full time duties. We needed a younger Snee-like kid at that position. Baas is a stop-gap till we find someone better. Snee got a few years left... he played injured last year and it showed. Who was our RT?

whilst Jerry had virtually no choice in agreeing to this deal with Beatty .......this sort of cash handout doesnt make it any easier to resolve the Cruz situation ( and the other 21 free agents ) in the next 13 days before FA begins !

Every team deals with this kindda shit every year.. I'm not worried (being a #s guy myself). Call me a homer but I have this feeling Nicks & Cruz will be Giants for life.

Not sure what our cap number was before this...and we don't know the salary per year on Beatty's deal. What we do know, is that the signing bonus for Beatty was 12.5, so the bonus proration for this year is 2.5 million.

If the total contract was 38.5 and 12.5 of it was bonus money, that leaves 26 of it as salary. Taking 26 over 5 years and the average salary is 5.2. Figure it's the first year of the deal, the salary is probably closer to the 4-4.5 range.

So to ball park it, I'd look at 6.5 - 7 million this year against the cap.

Since 19 is the Guaranteed money as you stated 12.5 is signing bonus, that means 6.5 is his base salary this year.

Fantastic deal. Joe Thomas got 8 years, $92 million TWO YEARS AGO. While Beatty isn't Joe Thomas, he's also not half as bad as Joe Thomas, and he's arguably the best LT in the division. The only other guy who has an argument is Trent Williams. And no, don't give me Jason Peters, you have to play. This is a spectacular move by Reese, and a much needed one.

I agree with gmenroc that this doesn't mean we don't draft a tackle. You have to have some depth and if said player can move to the right side then you have a great situation.

I've also softened on my stance of Chance Warmack at 19. Bigblue25 and others have convinced me. But more than that, watching Warmack play has convinced me. I've never seen a man that big move that well as an offensive linemen, and he is country strong. Warmack is going to be a perennial All-Pro, and that means if he's there at 19, I have no problem taking a guard at that spot, and I would not be suprised if he isn't the selection.

It should be noted that this is my only exception to the "no Guards in the 1st round rule". You have to have not only a "can't miss" OG there, but also one that you can plug in right away and he is going to be a dominant player early and for a long time... an All-Pro caliber player. (BTW, note the spelling of caliber, some of you need to learn it :P). Warmack is that... he is an awesome force.

Good call Nas...so his base salary likely goes down as his contract goes on since 6.5 of the 26 is knocked out in year 1. I like the deal being structured that way even better, though it makes cutting him down the road a bit more difficult since the salary to 'save' would be all but covered by the prorated bonus money.

Jim - I think the issue with Warmack is that he'll be gone by 19. Dallas picking right before us, needing big time O line help pretty much across the board, I think would be a huge landing spot for Warmack...that is, if he makes it past Cleveland-Arizona-Buffalo, which I suspect he will not. If we're looking at a G in round 1, I think we're realistically looking at Cooper, who I have mocked to Dallas at this point. I do have to rework my mock though a bit before I'd post it anywhere