SportsWrath

Beatty re-signs...5 years

gmenroc

I think both of you guys are probably right. But you can make a case for Warmack sliding. Particularly, because this draft has a lot of quality tackles in it, and teams looking for O-line help may look at OT, the more premium position, before drafting a Guard. But Warmack is so good that it's hard to think there are going to be 18 players snapped up before him. If there is another early run on QB's (seems a little unlikely this year), then it could push Warmack down to us. Tough year to mock.

Other than Warmack, I'd be overjoyed if one of these players fell to us -

Eric Fisher

Lane Johnson

Bjoern Werner

Dee Milliner

I realize that these guys all have little chance of being available at 19. So two guys I really like that are more realistic are Xavier Rhodes and DJ Fluker. Both, I believe, could start early and be top level players in the NFL. Fluker I'd put at RT right away.

Hmmm, you guys think the Giants may trade up a few spots to snatch him if he's still there say at 14-17?

I don't think Reese is ever inclined to trade up. It's possible, but you know how Reese loves his picks. They are not going to part with a 2nd rounder. If the asking price is a 3rd and a 6th, something of that nature, it's more likely, but even then, I don't think so.

With Rhoads and Fluker...at one time, I thought they'd be available to us. However, given their counterparts at their respective positions blowing the doors off the combine, I think they're gone too.

The 3 OT's I have going in 4, 7, 9 (Philadelphia, Arizona, NY Jets)

Warmack I have going 6 (Cleveland)

Millner I have going 3 (Oakland)

Werner is my #1 overall right now to KC

Fluker I have 16 to St Louis

I think we go DT in the first and have our choices of Kawann Short (Purdue), Jesse Williams (Alabama), or Johnathan Hankins (Ohio State).

I take Hankins in this case. Short hovers around 300 whereas the other two are at 320. If Short puts some more weight on, I'd consider him more. Williams has short arms, which helps him with inline blocking, but negates any chance of blocking passes. Williams isn't the pass rusher either, but being more of a run stuffer for your pass rushers to work around. Hankins is more the guy who can slice through to disrupt a play, even if he's not going to get home to the QB or RB.

from ralph v:

Full details (including cap numbers) on the Will Beatty 5-year, $38.75M contract extension ...

Signing bonus: $12.5 million

Workout bonuses: $50,000 per year

2013: $1 million salary … $3.55 million cap number

2014: $4.85 million salary … $7.4 million cap number

2015: $5.5 million salary … $8.05 million cap number

2016: $6.625 million salary … $9.175 million cap number

2017: $6.775 million salary … $9.325 million cap number

$19 million in guarantees, including the signing bonus, the 2013 and 2014 salaries, and $650,000 of his salary in 2015.

The remaining $1.25 million is likely in the form of incentives and escalators (I haven't seen those details).

Not sure then how we get to the 19 million guaranteed figure...

I think it was mentioned in the original link of this thread

ESPN:

The New York Giants have re-signed offensive tackle Will Beatty to a five-year contract, the team announced Wednesday.

According to a source familiar with the deal, Beatty's deal is worth $38.75 million, taking one of the top free-agent offensive linemen off the market.

The deal includes $19 million guaranteed.

With Rhoads and Fluker...at one time, I thought they'd be available to us. However, given their counterparts at their respective positions blowing the doors off the combine, I think they're gone too.

The 3 OT's I have going in 4, 7, 9 (Philadelphia, Arizona, NY Jets)

Warmack I have going 6 (Cleveland)

Millner I have going 3 (Oakland)

Werner is my #1 overall right now to KC

Fluker I have 16 to St Louis

I think we go DT in the first and have our choices of Kawann Short (Purdue), Jesse Williams (Alabama), or Johnathan Hankins (Ohio State).

I take Hankins in this case. Short hovers around 300 whereas the other two are at 320. If Short puts some more weight on, I'd consider him more. Williams has short arms, which helps him with inline blocking, but negates any chance of blocking passes. Williams isn't the pass rusher either, but being more of a run stuffer for your pass rushers to work around. Hankins is more the guy who can slice through to disrupt a play, even if he's not going to get home to the QB or RB.

You think Werner goes at 1 Gmen?. Listening to Mayock and Charles Davis they said Werner might drop to late 1st round, early second.

Very high on Warmack, then again, everyone seems to be.

You think Werner goes at 1 Gmen?. Listening to Mayock and Charles Davis they said Werner might drop to late 1st round, early second.

Very high on Warmack, then again, everyone seems to be.

If the Chiefs are selecting, yeah, I think they could go that route. They have OTs, so they don't go with Joeckel or Fisher. They just traded for Alex Smith to 'solve' the QB situation. According to walterfootball, Chiefs need help on D-Line across the board. According to CBS Sports, Werner is the 5th best player in the draft and the #1 DE.

A few weeks ago, I'd have mocked Lotulelei. But the heart condition keeps him out of that spot even if he's cleared to play. Ask the Raiders how blowing the number 1 pick overall has helped them over the past few years.

In a perfect world, I'd have the Chiefs trade out of the spot, still pick up Warmack, and get a second rounder back...since they traded their second rounder for Smith. Problem is finding a trading partner who's going to jump to #1. Who are you jumping up to #1 to get? One of the tackles? You could jump up to 7 or 8 and still get one of them. Jump to #1 to get Geno Smith? He's not worth it.

So all signs point to the Chiefs using the pick.

If the Chiefs are selecting, yeah, I think they could go that route. They have OTs, so they don't go with Joeckel or Fisher. They just traded for Alex Smith to 'solve' the QB situation. According to walterfootball, Chiefs need help on D-Line across the board. According to CBS Sports, Werner is the 5th best player in the draft and the #1 DE.

A few weeks ago, I'd have mocked Lotulelei. But the heart condition keeps him out of that spot even if he's cleared to play. Ask the Raiders how blowing the number 1 pick overall has helped them over the past few years.

In a perfect world, I'd have the Chiefs trade out of the spot, still pick up Warmack, and get a second rounder back...since they traded their second rounder for Smith. Problem is finding a trading partner who's going to jump to #1. Who are you jumping up to #1 to get? One of the tackles? You could jump up to 7 or 8 and still get one of them. Jump to #1 to get Geno Smith? He's not worth it.

So all signs point to the Chiefs using the pick.

Werner would play OLB for them. They have that in Houston and Hali. I also have no idea where, Walter thinks they need d-line help. They have Poe and Powe, Jackson and Polautili. OT is definitely a need, Albert is a Fa and not that good, if he is resigned, they probably move him to guard, where he played in college. They need CB help, if they could trade down, they would probably grab Milliner, I think they look at free agency for a CB

Both Sinorice Moss and Jeremy Shockey were Accorsi moves. Barden was a trade up, however, under Reese. It was a 3rd rounder, and it should be noted that we gave up our 3rd and a 5th, to move up the 6 spots to grab Barden, but we also had another compensatory 3rd rounder that year, which we used to draft Travis Beckum. So yes, that is an example of a trade up by Reese. I should've said that I don't see Reese trading up in the first round ever. Every year Reese talks about how much he values his picks. Now, that's not to say that it will never happen. No smart GM will ever box himself in to say that he would never trade up in the first round under any circumstance. It may be that someday, it is the right thing to do. So it could happen. But I believe that Reese, in particular, is far less likely to trade up than other GM's. He believes he can get good players no matter where he's drafting, and believes in quantity OF quality. So sure, he'll give up a 5th rounder here and there, though, to get a player he wants. But he's a conservative GM when it comes to draft day deals, for sure.