SportsWrath

Here we go again - Cam Newton: "They didn't beat us, we beat .....blah, blah"

BleedinBlue

Make no doubt about it - the Giants spanked the Panthers! They humiliated the Panthers! They beat the Panthers like a rug! The Giants pounded the Panthers into the ground at every level!

Yet here we go again, "the Giants didn't beat us....."

From PFT:

"There’s something about losing to the Giants that makes opposing teams think that the Giants didn’t actually have anything to do with their loss.

Echoing Packers linebacker Clay Matthews, who said of Green Bay’s playoff loss that the Giants
'didn't beat us, we beat ourselves
,' Panthers quarterback Cam Newton gave similar comments after Thursday night’s Giants victory.

'It was nothing they did, it was all on us'
Newton said."

If I remember rightly, the Patriots also have twice said that the Giants didn't beat them, they beat themselves in those two SB's. Seems I recall San Fran saying the same thing last year.

In some cases, I can understand how a really good team beats themselves by calling a bad play or a botched handoff during a close game or whatever..............but when you get your ass handed to you by 30 friggin points and beat you like a drum from start to finish, for heavens sake, tip your hat to the other team and give them credit.

You are wrong Cam Newton....THE GIANTS BEAT YOU AND THEY BEAT YOU BADLY

Did you see Cam towards the end of the game sulking with the Gatoraid towel over his head? He kept it on as he walked to the middle of the field to greet Eli. Eli said something to him, and it looked like Cam just was like, "whatever" and walked off. Like it was an obligatory handshake and then he was done. I just think the guy is a sore loser, and that doesn't inspire teammates.

You have to be a leader if you're a quarterback, especially as a #1 overall pick. I'm glad we have Eli.

Did you see Cam towards the end of the game sulking with the Gatoraid towel over his head? He kept it on as he walked to the middle of the field to greet Eli. Eli said something to him, and it looked like Cam just was like, "whatever" and walked off. Like it was an obligatory handshake and then he was done. I just think the guy is a sore loser, and that doesn't inspire teammates.

You have to be a leader if you're a quarterback, especially as a #1 overall pick. I'm glad we have Eli.

I think so as well. Gotta love Eli.

Yeah....I was watching that scene unfold and thought, "wtf".

When you are the team leader, you never hang your head and you never show your teammates that you are rattled. If he pulls that "woe is me" crap often, he's not going to be the star he's destined to become. And like Naz pointed out, "gotta love Eli". Absolutely nothing rattles Eli and he never hangs his head and sulks. That's the sign of a true leader and the team believes in him.....which is one of the most important aspects of the game.

You had to see his post game press conference......pretty late at night

Conducted most of it with his eyes closed.........this guy is a LOSER. He will never attain NFL greatness despite his physicl skills

Might not ever even have a winning season. He's a poor man's Donovan McNabb

All the character "issues" that were poined out pre-draft have bubbled to the surface.

Think that had more to do with the backup getting reps in a game that was already decided.

Hmmm, I dunno man. They had no hope of coming back at that stage but I think it was probably to stop him throwing a 4th pick and totally shattering his confidence. Either way it's still an embarrassment for him.

Yeah I saw that as well and was thinking the same. Too bad cam.

The honeymoon is over for Cam. He was a media darling last season and he played very well but the way you handle adversity and accountability when things aren't going good are what ends up defining you as a player, especially at the quarterback position.

The honeymoon is over for Cam. He was a media darling last season and he played very well but the way you handle adversity and accountability when things aren't going good are what ends up defining you as a player, especially at the quarterback position.

True Colors are showing............Cam is a spoiled Brat

He started falling off, at the halfway point last year, he won ROY based on the first four games. He is a one read spread option QB.

I believe a team can beat themselves. Here's a scenario: Down by a point with a few seconds left on the clock about to kick a 47 yd field goal.......Wait, a flag is thrown....unsportsmanlike conduct is called on the offense, 15 yrd penalty.

Or, down by 5 with less than a minute on the clock and about to score a touchdown, the center hikes the ball over the head of the QB and the ball is recovered by the other team.

There's lots of ways to "beat yourself", but it's because of bonehead mistakes and penalties in a very close game. The Giants had 5 pnealties for 38 yds.....the Panthers had 3 penalties for 22 yds. The score was 36-7.....that is a straight out ass whuppin in any man's book, not a "beat yourself" game.