SportsWrath

Post game - the good, the bad, and the ugly

BleedinBlue

The Good:

- Eli Manning has ice in his veins and is a superstar (seriously - has there ever been a QB in history who dominated 4th quarters and final drives better than Eli? If so, I'd like to know who)

- Nicks is a stud and might be rising to the status of "best wide reciever in the NFL"

- Cruz is right on his heels

- Andre Brown might end up being a great running back for us

- Bennett is being groomed to be a big part of the playbook

- JPP is perhaps the best first round pick of the Giants since Eli.....and that includes Nicks, who was a huge steal. Is there anyone who believes JPP would've lasted until the 15th pick if they all knew what they knew now? He would likely have been the number one overall pick

- Tynes is looking like he's money in the bank now

- it would appear we are finally finding someone who can return kicks

- Cowboy fans hanging their heads low in disbelief after watching their boys play another stinker

The Bad:

- Eli Manning when he loses focus or his recievers miss the route or drop the pass

- Holding calls wiping out really nice kickoff/punt returns (this could actually go under "the ugly")

- Early game jitters and didn't punch it in from the red zone

- We desparately need another talented CB and hopefully the Prince will show us he's the man

The Ugly:

- Eli Manning actually threw for 610 yds and 4 TD's if you count his passes to the other team

- Eli Manning getting bullrushed when taking a knee

- Diehl going down with an MCL injury and Bradshaw nearly breaking his neck. At least it appears Diehl's injury isn't an ACL tear - fingers crossed

- The whole Cowboy's team

-----------------------------------------------------

Looks promising:

Randle, Wilson, Hosley, and Hixon (if he can stay on the field). Notice I don't include Barden who I have defended for 3 years - he looks lost and it doesn't appear Eli has that much confidence in him. And I was excited thinking I'd get to see Austin in action, but I don't think he dressed because Kuhn was in the game.

Also, I think Hill, Paysinger, and Smith have real upside and I really enjoy watching those guys

I am amazed that we didn't lose anyone when those fucks submarined the entire O line and banged into Manning on the Victory formation kneel down....that was about as Bush a Play as I have seen in a long time.

Putting that aside....that game shouldn't have been that close. The Giants kept them in it and that is a bad habit they are developing...cause one day....they wouldn't show up in the 4th quarter...its just a matter of odds.

C. Wagon

The Ugly:

- Eli Manning getting bullrushed when taking a knee

-----------------------------------------------------

I am amazed that we didn't lose anyone when those fucks submarined the entire O line and banged into Manning on the Victory formation kneel down....that was about as Bush a Play as I have seen in a long time.

Coughlin was not having any of that shit when he met Schiano at midfield. Coach is prolly old enough to be the guy's dad but he chewed him out good.

Schiano is trying to give the old "well, maybe they don't do that here in the NFL" but he's been on pro coaching staffs before, to play that card is pretty fucking lame. He doesn't cut that shit out he'll find there's a price to pay pretty quickly.

Coughlin was not having any of that shit when he met Schiano at midfield. Coach is prolly old enough to be the guy's dad but he chewed him out good.

Schiano is trying to give the old "well, maybe they don't do that here in the NFL" but he's been on pro coaching staffs before, to play that card is pretty fucking lame. He doesn't cut that shit out he'll find there's a price to pay pretty quickly.

The only thing that makes it not horrendous if you ask me is that it was a one score game... so maybe they hope to get lucky and force a fumble... if it was a 9 point game then I think it real bullshit! But picture if Eli fumbles that and it goes back for 6.... Schiano looks like a fucking genius.

Putting that aside....that game shouldn't have been that close. The Giants kept them in it and that is a bad habit they are developing...cause one day....they wouldn't show up in the 4th quarter...its just a matter of odds.

C. Wagon

I read a good article from "Sportsonearth" that summed up the Giants' play perfectly (yeah, yeah....don't end a sentence with an adverb, but this isn't an English assignment):

"
It was an entire Giants season in one game
, a Giants football bonsai tree.

There was the listless start (a 6-3 lead in the first quarter) and the discouraging roll by the opposition (a 27-13 deficit by the third quarter).

There were major injuries, including the annual loss of poor Domenik Hixon.

Then, the pebbly little, field goal-driven comeback that becomes an avalanche. The Giants tied the game, but just like one of their typical nerve-racking Decembers, they wavered after taking a late lead. Buccaneers receiver Mike Williams reminded us that he is still in the NFL with a 41-yard touchdown to re-tie the game. But the Giants scored after some Eli Manning heroics, and they won at almost the exact same moment the Patriots lost in a final example of synchronicity.

The game ended with Tom Coughlin shouting at Greg Schiano after some overzealous Buccaneers defense on the final kneel-down plays. Coughlin figured fans were worn out and did not want to have to stay up until the end of Lions-Niners to see some fiery coach-on-coach action".

Look Schiano is a good hard nosed win at all costs HC.......iits like boxing "the art of SELF DEFENSE" .......1st make sure you are prepared to take a blow

I like Schiano......he has stiffened them considerably. If you want revenge, perhaps we can exact it in the playoffs against them.

They played hard, they played tough. it's a new NFL where holding is permitted a lot more. Thats bad for us as our Dline and WR's are our strength. Good for low talent NFL teams who have to rely on dirty tactics to win. I believe we would have won the Dallas game if we stooped to their holding tactics.

Life goes on..........the real culprit in all this is Fewell who stubbornly refuses to Blitz (the only answer to the holding delemna)

I think it's a fair play to rush the kneel-down if you're still in the game. There's no rule that states either team can declare when the game is over.

It might actually have been a good tactic. No one is ready for it because of an unspoken "gentlemen's rule" (since when were there ever gentlemen in football - perhaps Jack Tatum? Harvey Dahl? Jack Lambert? maybe Dick Butkus?). And if you knock the ball loose during the handoff and some quick witted player grabs the ball and runs it in for a touchdown - that's pretty slick....and Schiano would be being praised this Monday morning had the tactic worked. Besides, I've always thought the "taking the knee to run out the clock" was kind of hokey.

The "gentlemen's rule" that Belichick broke a couple of years ago was in the game where they were up by about 30 points with 5 seconds left on the clock and sitting on the 2 yard line.....and he calls a play to add an unnecessary additional TD to humiliate the opponent. To me, that's bullshit.

Football is a microcosm of war. The idea is to have a controlled battle with rules to compensate for man's internal need for war......and most battles in history were won because they didn't play by the rules. Think Nagasaki or when the revolutionaries beat the British because the British lined up in perfect rank and file to fire upon their opponents while the revolutionaries hid in trees or behind rocks and picked them off from a distance - then ran like hell.

The "gentlemen's rule" that Belichick broke a couple of years ago was in the game where they were up by about 30 points with 5 seconds left on the clock and sitting on the 2 yard line.....and he calls a play to add an unnecessary additional TD to humiliate the opponent. To me, that's bullshit.

Living in Vermont, I've heard every bullshit excuse of why it's OK to run up the score with two seconds left ahead by five TDs.

One Pats fan says to me, "Well, you play to win the game, so it shouldn't matter," to which I replied, "That is true. However, if I wanted to kill someone, I could shoot them in the head... or I could tie them up, dismember them, eat their body parts, then dissolve them in my bathtub. They're dead either way. Which would you rather go, and 'does it matter?"

Dunno if he saw my point or not.

I think it was juvenile, and only borderline within-the-rules.

I can't be the only one who's noticed its a 15 yard penalty to hit a player who is giving himself up.

If they hit Eli while his knee is down, yes, but I think their intent was to disrupt the snap, which is perfectly legal.

But do the replacement Refs know this? Is it the same in College?

I don't watch as much college football as I'd like, but as soon as the knee hits in college the play is over, you can't hit that guy either. I think its a personal foul in college too.

Eli technically wasn't hit by a defensive player, so there was no flag called for there. But thats kind of the point of the gentleman's agreement on that play: the rules are written in such a way that it makes more sense in that situation to, believe it or not, let the defensive line run free. The QB is taking a knee, they aren't allowed to hit him anyway; the only way they can legally 'hit' him and possibly force a fumble is by pushing an offensive lineman back into the QB.

As I said in another thread, from a pure strategy standpoint Schiano is doing the right thing, but I wager that he isn't really thinking through the ramifications of his decision. He's opened up his own offense to injury risk if they're ever in a similar situation, and for nothing really because the odds of it working, in a non-division game in week 2 no less, were so slim that it wasn't even remotely worth it.

ProFootballTalk.com claims that Schiano's Rutger's teams forced fumbles twice in college games under the same circumstances.

I suppose the best way to look at it is, "if the lead is 7 or less - all bets are off" and the offensive line better be on their toes. If the lead is more than 7 points, it's total bullshit to try for a play because there is nothing to gain.

I don't watch as much college football as I'd like, but as soon as the knee hits in college the play is over, you can't hit that guy either. I think its a personal foul in college too.

Eli technically wasn't hit by a defensive player, so there was no flag called for there. But thats kind of the point of the gentleman's agreement on that play: the rules are written in such a way that it makes more sense in that situation to, believe it or not, let the defensive line run free. The QB is taking a knee, they aren't allowed to hit him anyway; the only way they can legally 'hit' him and possibly force a fumble is by pushing an offensive lineman back into the QB.

As I said in another thread, from a pure strategy standpoint Schiano is doing the right thing, but I wager that he isn't really thinking through the ramifications of his decision. He's opened up his own offense to injury risk if they're ever in a similar situation, and for nothing really because the odds of it working, in a non-division game in week 2 no less, were so slim that it wasn't even remotely worth it.

Exactly...lets see him try that with his divisional opponents...there would and/or will be retaliation.

And the NFL is more like a gentlemen's club filled robber barons smoking stogies than those effete academics in their ivory towers. No way in the world are they going to appreciate having their product damaged outside of the normal course of things. One day when Schiano is looking for another job he may find himself blacklisted and unable to work....see Fassel about that whole blacklisting thing... :P