SportsWrath

Rumor: Giants looking to trade for Bongles LB Rivers.

BlueInCanada

They're not swapping a starting LB for the #4 DE position.

but the 4th DE gets alot of reps in our system. I would rather Kiwi play DE and we give Williams a starting job and Boley plays middle. I get your point though, I seen panic in losing Tolly, that I didn't get.

with Ballard possibly out for the season, I am guessing we are looking at Fleener, maybe we will trade up to insure we get him.

I don't see the Giants reaching for a TE in the first. Bennett, Pascoe, Beckum (supposed to be healthy by start of season). I definitely think we'll get a TE in the draft, but again, I don't think we reach for one.

If Fleener is there at 32, sure I think he could be the guy. By the way, what's this have to do with Rivers?

I'd rather them move Kiwi to MLB.

I've been saying that for years.... I think most people thought I was crazy though.

I still think he'd be a pretty good fit there, in the right system at least. Especially the system Spags brought in, if there was any time to put him at MLB, that was it. If you're going to go with a front four that focuses on getting penetration instead of eating their gaps, it pays to have a huge fucking MLB that can get off a block, ala Jeremiah Trotter back in the day.

Not official, but expected to be very soon. Tweet said nothing holding it up. Rivers missed all of 2011 with a wrist injury that occurred away from the football field. He had 77 tackles in 15 games the season prior. I think it was a good trade, but I still wish they would bring back Goff and/or Blackburn, and that seems highly unlikely at this point.

It's interesting...his cap figure for 2012 is 2.4 million dollars....not SO much, but considering we let a bunch of guys go for relatively little money, it's almost like the combined exit of Jacobs, Manningham, Ross and Tolly was to cover this move.

-Z

Why were the Bengals itching to get rid of this guy?

-Z

Their linebacker corp is full, Manny Lawson, Rey Maualuga, and Thomas Howard are a good group. And Rivers is in the last year of his contract too. Actually there are conflicting reports on this, he signed a 6 year deal in 2008, but repeatedly I've seen that 2012 is River's last season under contract.

Their linebacker corp is full, Manny Lawson, Rey Maualuga, and Thomas Howard are a good group. And Rivers is in the last year of his contract too. Actually there are conflicting reports on this, he signed a 6 year deal in 2008, but repeatedly I've seen that 2012 is River's last season under contract.

I hear that but the Bengals have a TON of cap room...they're like 40 million under the cap. So it's not like this 2.4 mil was hurting them in any way...if this guy has upside is there really any point in getting rid of him for a 4th rounder?

-Z

If Rivers can solidify the LB corps, then I'm happy. It gives Herzlich and Jones a chance to progress at a nice steady rate without being thrown into the fire. As far as trading away a 5th round pick for this guy.....it's a steal. No way you get a first round talent with 3 years NFL experience under his belt for a 5th rd pick...IMHO.

I'd say that it's doubtful the Giants go for Dont'a Hightower in the first round now....assuming he'd be there anyway.

Good to see the Giants making some noise in free agency for a change.

I hear that but the Bengals have a TON of cap room...they're like 40 million under the cap. So it's not like this 2.4 mil was hurting them in any way...if this guy has upside is there really any point in getting rid of him for a 4th rounder?

-Z

That makes sense... but it also sounds like Rivers wants out too, so maybe that plays into it. I'm sure he feels like he can be a starter somewhere.

if anyone cares here is walterfootball.com's grade:

Giants acquire OLB Keith Rivers from Bengals for 5th-round pick

Keith Rivers is a really talented linebacker, but the Bengals are letting him go because he's endured a myriad of injuries over the past couple of years. They feel he's too unreliable, so they decided to part ways with him for a mere fifth-round pick.

I would have kept him. Injuries are pretty unpredictable. For example, Fred Taylor used to be referred to as "Fragile Fred," but then he had a stretch where he stayed healthy for a long time. Giving up on Rivers is premature, and it's not like the Bengals didn't have the money to pay him.

The Giants are getting a pretty sweet deal. A potential Pro Bowl-caliber linebacker for a fifth-round pick? I'll take that all day.

Grade for Giants - A+

Grade for Bengals - C-

He came into the league as a WILL... but he's also 6'2". 240+ lbs... I think Rivers looks the part of a MLB much moreso than Boley. And if there's any knock on Rivers, its his coverage, so I'm thinking he's going to be tried out in the middle.

I think thats a very good gamble if all this costs is a 5th or 6th rounder.

Okay, I'm good with that. Thanks.

I don't see the Giants reaching for a TE in the first. Bennett, Pascoe, Beckum (supposed to be healthy by start of season). I definitely think we'll get a TE in the draft, but again, I don't think we reach for one.

If Fleener is there at 32, sure I think he could be the guy. By the way, what's this have to do with Rivers?

I see us going OT in the first... however the Giants have a way of surprising everyone. Bennet's signing is a mere insurance for 2012 and in case Fleener isn't there at 32 in my opinion.

if anyone cares here is walterfootball.com's grade:

Giants acquire OLB Keith Rivers from Bengals for 5th-round pick

Keith Rivers is a really talented linebacker, but the Bengals are letting him go because he's endured a myriad of injuries over the past couple of years. They feel he's too unreliable, so they decided to part ways with him for a mere fifth-round pick.

I would have kept him. Injuries are pretty unpredictable. For example, Fred Taylor used to be referred to as "Fragile Fred," but then he had a stretch where he stayed healthy for a long time. Giving up on Rivers is premature, and it's not like the Bengals didn't have the money to pay him.

The Giants are getting a pretty sweet deal. A potential Pro Bowl-caliber linebacker for a fifth-round pick? I'll take that all day.

Grade for Giants - A+

Grade for Bengals - C-

Nice.

I don't see the Giants going with Fleener. The only reason he is even being talked about about going in the 1st round is he is the best of what is a very mediocre at best TE draft class. NY always goes after BPA.

So based on where we are drafting I could see us going either OT or DL