SportsWrath

Rumor: Giants looking to trade for Bongles LB Rivers.

BlueInCanada

I see us going OT in the first... however the Giants have a way of surprising everyone. Bennet's signing is a mere insurance for 2012 and in case Fleener isn't there at 32 in my opinion.

OT only if Mike Adams or those ranked above him are still there. I believe Adams to be the last of the 1st round graded OTs. Given the news that Ballard had microfracture surgery and it's not just an ACL, I think it creates a need for a TE on draft day. I'm not hard up on Fleener, but at 32, one could argue he'll be the BPA and represent value. One could also argue that despite Bennett's signing, he could fill a need (this year OR next, when Bennett's gone).

There's a kid out of SMU that played DE for most of his college career, but switched to TE at the end of the season because he could "catch anything". Could be a sleeper that could be picked up in a later round and could end up being the best TE in the draft. Half the draft boards don't even have him listed.

From "Around the League":

Taylor Thompson
6'6" 266 SMU DE/TE

"A
n unusual player with untapped potential. Thompson was recruited out of high school as a receiver, but wound up playing defensive end at SMU. Strange thing happened: Thompson performed well at tight end at his pro day earlier this month, catching the ball with promise and showing moxie at the position. NFL.com's Gil Brandt praised Thompson's athleticism and added this intriguing prospect to his top 100 list. Some have questioned Taylor's passion for football, but the right coaching staff will find a way to use his skills".

From Gil Brandt:

Taylor Thompson
(6
-
foot-5 7/8, 259 pounds) is an interesting case: He’s been a defensive end at SMU and a receiver in high school. He ran 4.59 and 4.56 in the 40, had a 37-inch vertical leap, a 10-6 long jump, 4.41 in the short shuttle, 7.40 in the three-cone, and 22 strength reps.

Thompson had an outstanding workout. He caught the ball really well, moves really well, and probably went from an undrafted free agent to a bottom-third-, top-fourth-round type of guy. He’s just a really good athlete who projects in my top 100

I don't see the Giants going with Fleener. The only reason he is even being talked about about going in the 1st round is he is the best of what is a very mediocre at best TE draft class. NY always goes after BPA.

So based on where we are drafting I could see us going either OT or DL

See, I don't see mocks as putting mediocre tight ends at 32 just because he's the only good one at that position and they have to throw someone in the first round. If he didn't have the talent to be a 1st round pick, he wouldn't be mocked to be.

What's wrong with getting the best tight end in a mediocre class, anyway? It's better than waiting around and getting one of the actual mediocre ones in round 5.

My thinking is more along the line that the TE position has become more glamorized recently with the successes of Gronkowski / Hernandez and Finley Etc... So I think there is some reaching going on for TE's this year because it's a copycat league and everyone thinks you need a premier TE talent. So Fleener being the best of the rest gets bumped into the 1st round.

The same thing can be said for the QB position. After Luck and RG3 i really don't see a prospect worthy of going in the 1st but Tannahill is getting a lot of attention because he is the next best guy and may even wind up going in the top 10.

I don't see the Giants reaching for a TE in the first. Bennett, Pascoe, Beckum (supposed to be healthy by start of season). I definitely think we'll get a TE in the draft, but again, I don't think we reach for one.

If Fleener is there at 32, sure I think he could be the guy. By the way, what's this have to do with Rivers?

We won't be focusing on LB in the draft.

See, I don't see mocks as putting mediocre tight ends at 32 just because he's the only good one at that position and they have to throw someone in the first round. If he didn't have the talent to be a 1st round pick, he wouldn't be mocked to be.

What's wrong with getting the best tight end in a mediocre class, anyway? It's better than waiting around and getting one of the actual mediocre ones in round 5.

Fleener is the real deal, to me it's hard to pass on a elite talent at a positon of need. Don't give me the Pascoe and Beckum B.S either, if we pass on a TE because we think Bare and Letem are the answer, I would be awfully pissed. Bennett was just a one year deal and will be used for inline blocking, because Letem can't do it.

My thinking is more along the line that the TE position has become more glamorized recently with the successes of Gronkowski / Hernandez and Finley Etc... So I think there is some reaching going on for TE's this year because it's a copycat league and everyone thinks you need a premier TE talent. So Fleener being the best of the rest gets bumped into the 1st round.

The same thing can be said for the QB position. After Luck and RG3 i really don't see a prospect worthy of going in the 1st but Tannahill is getting a lot of attention because he is the next best guy and may even wind up going in the top 10.

Ah, I get you. I agree, I think I have TE fever mainly because of Gronkowski and Hernandez....but I would definitely like to see us improve the position over the 3 Bs (Ballard, Beckum, Bennet). I just picture replacing Manningham's production with some production over the middle with a big, tough, fast, tight end. Plus, we suck at getting the ball in the end zone in the red zone (like always).

It certainly didn't hurt the Giants when Mark Bavaro was our tight end. He put the fear of God in opposing defenses. I doubt we'll ever get another Bavaro. We thought Shockey would be the next one, but he was a hot dog crybaby....the exact opposite of Bavaro.

I don't know enough about Fleeny to give a really good opinion on him. I have a lot of faith in TC and Reese and really appreciate the amount of time TC puts into being at the combine and studying all kinds of players. If Fleeny is "that good" and TC agrees that he's "that good" and he's still on the board, then I'd be happier than a puppy with two peckers.

Fleener is the real deal, to me it's hard to pass on a elite talent at a positon of need. Don't give me the Pascoe and Beckum B.S either, if we pass on a TE because we think Bare and Letem are the answer, I would be awfully pissed. Bennett was just a one year deal and will be used for inline blocking, because Letem can't do it.

My problem is that we have what, 2 incredibly slow tight ends, 1 that never sees the field or is never open (Beckum), and 1 that is a lazy question mark as far as I am concerned (Bennett).

Get Eli a playmaking tight end to pair with Cruz and Nicks and I think that is a better offensive team than Cruz, Nicks, Manningham....

OT only if Mike Adams or those ranked above him are still there. I believe Adams to be the last of the 1st round graded OTs. Given the news that Ballard had microfracture surgery and it's not just an ACL, I think it creates a need for a TE on draft day. I'm not hard up on Fleener, but at 32, one could argue he'll be the BPA and represent value. One could also argue that despite Bennett's signing, he could fill a need (this year OR next, when Bennett's gone).

I am not even big on Adams really, I see too much poor work ethic. I would rather see the combo of Fleener and Massie, then say Adams or Allen. Fleener is way ahead of Allen has a TE prospect, where as Adams and Massie aren't far apart has OT prospects.

But personally, I think the signing of Locklear pretty much eliminates the chance of us taking an OT in the first this year....

Me too, we might continue to develop Brewer or get someone like Massie if he is there at the end of round two. My guess is we try everything to get Fleener, in round one, at least I hope.

But personally, I think the signing of Locklear pretty much eliminates the chance of us taking an OT in the first this year....

Not necessarily... we can lock players now but then we know the roster has to be trimmed. Locking up these solid free agents keeps us deep and keep our options in the draft open so we don't have to reach.

Very low risk / high reward.....5th round pick for a former 1st rounder, that's a bargain.

Not just a first rounder, but the top LB in the class and drafted in the top 10 players off the board. That was the year we got Kenny Phillips in the first and Terrell Thomas (River's teammate) in the second. If Rivers pans out, we will have some cherries out of that 2008 class.

Burning a 5th for Rivers is a no brainer...especially considering what the Giants have been through attempting to shore up the position.

Not just a first rounder, but the top LB in the class and drafted in the top 10 players off the board. That was the year we got Kenny Phillips in the first and Terrell Thomas (River's teammate) in the second. If Rivers pans out, we will have some cherries out of that 2008 class.

Burning a 5th for Rivers is a no brainer...especially considering what the Giants have been through attempting to shore up the position.

Yea on paper everything sounds great... don't take me wrong I agree, giving up a 5th rounder is hardly a "gamble". I'm just wondering as to why... after the vicious hit he took from Ward (Steelers) I hear he's not been the same... wtf happened? Why would the Bengals part with him for only a 5th? I hope the change of scenery and being on a winning team can bring him back...

Yea on paper everything sounds great... don't take me wrong I agree, giving up a 5th rounder is hardly a "gamble". I'm just wondering as to why... after the vicious hit he took from Ward (Steelers) I hear he's not been the same... wtf happened? Why would the Bengals part with him for only a 5th? I hope the change of scenery and being on a winning team can bring him back...

The Bongles have depth at LB, Howard and Malalwalalaluuga are excellent starters.

Rivers has been a "bust" if you compare him to most LBs taken in the first round, he's been injured every season he's played and outside of his rookie year his stats arnt anything impressive. The Bongles are rebuilding as well, new QB, they want to put pieces around him for the future, I think they have four 5th round picks or something now, I imagine they can use them to trade up.

I think this is a case about the Giants getting a hold of the Bongles at the right time and getting a player that the Giants feel will make them a better team in return the Bongles get a 5th round pick that they never would of thought of getting for Rivers.

I think they are stocked at the position....could be wrong, but that's what I read, I think in the Post.

Rivers has not lived up to the 8 overall pick. Nothing to get excited over this trade. I've heard a few years back, for a LB, he plays like a girl. As if he's afraid of contact. Not a good sign for a LB folks.

Rivers has not lived up to the 8 overall pick. Nothing to get excited over this trade. I've heard a few years back, for a LB, he plays like a girl. As if he's afraid of contact. Not a good sign for a LB folks.

I don't know Nem.. you don't make it to the pros if you play like a girl. The upside of this is maybe a change of scenery will revive his career.. who knows. Besides, we'd all play like girls if we played for the Bungals.

Fleener is an elite talent, no matter how poor the class. Usually only one TE goes in the first anyways, so the position should be more glamorized. The only elite top ten prospect. that I remember recently has been Shockey and that was ten years ago. Gronk wasn't that well thought of coming out of Arizona and Fleener is a much better prospect coming out of Stanford, will he be lucky enough to get utilized in the perfect system like Gronk, I guess we will see. Graham was a shot in the dark, he played one year of football at Miami and had 17 receptions, no one really noticed till he blew up the combine.