SportsWrath

Former Giants WR Devin Thomas agrees to terms with Bears

Nas

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/03/former_giants_wr_devin_thomas.html

Giants unrestricted free agent wide receiver Devin Thomas agreed to a one-year deal with the Chicago Bears, the team announced tonight.

Thomas, who joined the Giants in Nov. 2010 after being claimed off waivers from the Carolina Panthers, has not lived up to the expectations that came with being a second-round pick of the Washington Redskins in 2008. But he played a substantial role down the stretch during the Giants' Super Bowl run.

For most of the 2011 season, he was an anonymous backup receiver and special teamer for the Giants. He caught just three passes for 37 yards as a receiver and returned 25 kicks for 607 yards.

But when the GIants needed a big play in the NFC Championship Game against the 49ers, it was Thomas who came through. He recovered two fumbles on punt coverage, including one in overtime that set up the Giants' game-winning field goal in the 20-17 victory.

It turns out that will be the last impactful play Thomas will make for the Giants -- at least for the next year.

Thomas is the second free-agent wide receiver the Giants have lost on the market. Mario Manningham signed with the 49ers last week.

With Thomas, Manningham, and Jacobs leaving...coupled with injured TEs...and our skill positions are taking a pretty good hit this offseason. Creates a need for Jernigan, Barden, Ware, Scott all to step up in a big way.

Nothing that can't be easily replaced though.

Agreed they can be replaced...not so sure on the 'easily' part of it.

Here's the good thing about Jacobs being gone.. Scott gets to see the field and I think we have in him our starter for 2013.

3rd WR spot.. we already have players on the roster who can fill in.. Hixon is proven, JJ & Barden either step up or be done with... and we have the draft coming up.

I just don't think we've lost anyone... we lost a lot more last year in Boss and Smith and it turned out we were better off.

I just don't understand all the confidence in Scott. Yes, I know he's fast. I know his speed is very impressive. But if you can't hold on to the ball, then you don't play, period. Right now Scott can't block a blitzing linebacker, and he can't hold onto the ball.

Everybody thinks it's an easy fix because Tiki Barber fixed his fumbling issues by the way he holds the ball. But it simply isn't that easy for some guys. I don't think because one guy did it, Scott will do it, too, and if it was that easy he'd have already been doing that by the time he finished his first practice with the Giants.

I'll give Scott the benefit of the doubt since he had no OTAs and was a rookie from a smaller school. But he did flash some serious gamebreaking speed. That said he's a 7th round pick with the flaws Jim mentioned and can't be relied upon to fix our RB problem. IMO we should go into camp with Bradshaw and a top RB in the draft and then let Scott, Ware ad Brown duke it out for the 3rd and possibly even 4th rb spot. I'd like to see the Giants use there RBs like they did in 07-08 where they'd give 3-4 RBs carries.

I just don't understand all the confidence in Scott. Yes, I know he's fast. I know his speed is very impressive. But if you can't hold on to the ball, then you don't play, period. Right now Scott can't block a blitzing linebacker, and he can't hold onto the ball.

Everybody thinks it's an easy fix because Tiki Barber fixed his fumbling issues by the way he holds the ball. But it simply isn't that easy for some guys. I don't think because one guy did it, Scott will do it, too, and if it was that easy he'd have already been doing that by the time he finished his first practice with the Giants.

Jim, how many times did Scott fumble the ball? And once you mention the #, how many of those (assuming there are many) can you blame on jitters from seeing live action? Yes fumbling is easy to fix I think... Tiki did it and AB did it.. and that's assuming Scott really has a fumbling problem. And besides Jacobs is no longer the workhorse he was or was assumed to have been. Besides how else can Scott see the field unless one of the 3 ahead of him gets cut.

Where does everyone get Scott can't hold on to the ball? He fumbled once last year.

I am not sure why posters are always down on Scott for his one fumble. He only had 5 carries all season which looks bad but he was also always coming off the bench cold and was a rookie. He did reasonably well at kickoffs (25 yard average) and I don't think he had any fumbles. He should be able to pass DJ NoWare and was the fastest at his combine. I think the Giants need to draft for other positions and not for RB.

Scott can definately play.

I don't think Jim was objecting that.

The fact is Tom Coughlin will play DJ Ware 99% of the backup snaps if Scott doesn't show significant improvement in pass protection and ball security.

And with each snap taken by DJ Ware a little part of me will die inside.