SportsWrath

Kerry Collins Retires

Mr. P

k-collins2.jpg?w=171

After suggesting a willingness to return to the Titans for another season, veteran quarterback Kerry Collins has decided to retire from the NFL.

“After 16 fulfilling years of playing quarterback in the NFL, I am officially announcing my retirement from professional football,” Collins said in a statement released by Athletes First, the agency that represents him. “The past several months have brought much introspection, and I have decided that while my desire to compete on Sundays is still and always will be there, my willingness to commit to the preparation necessary to play another season has waned to a level that I feel is no longer adequate to meet the demands of the position.”

Drafted by the Panthers in 1995, Collins has spent the last five seasons with the Titans. He appeared in 10 games, starting seven, in 2010. He also played for the Saints, Giants, and Raiders, leading New York to a berth in Super Bowl XXXV.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/07/kerry-collins-retires/

I liked him as a giant. Inconsistent but better than Dave Brown, Kent Graham, and Danny Kanell. Good comeback story and had a rocket for an arm.

Good guy who picked up the pieces of his life in the late 90's and was a solid QB for the Giants... especially at a time when we had gone several years without a solid QB, and didn't have any immediate solution. I'd venture to say that if not for him, we wouldn't have won the NFC Championship in 2000. Does anyone believe we would have even made the championship game if we had Dave Brown (I know he was gone by then), Kent Graham or Danny Kanell at the helm?

It's a sad day for KerryIsTheMan. I liked Collins. I thought we made a blunder by letting go of him too soon and marrying ourselves to Eli, who, at the time, I thought was the third best QB in the draft. I remember lobbying hard for Sean Taylor. Little did I know that now, Eli would've won us a Super Bowl, Taylor would be dead (RIP), and Collins just finished his career with non-descript seasons as mostly a back up in the NFL. But the show Collins put on in the 2000 NFCCG will never be forgotten by me. He was spectacular that day, and to be fair, no one was going to beat the Ravens that year, their defense was just too great.

I do think if Kerry would've not had the problems he had earlier in his career with alcohol, that he would've had some terrific seasons... but he really wasted much of his prime. But still, I am a Kerry Collins fan, and glad he conquered his problems.

The guy was inconsistent as hell, and any pressure wound up with a sack or a turnover. But he was better than what we had.

I was glad when we went in another direction, and his subsequent career proved he wasn't a franchise QB. Yet he got his act together, and I wish him the best in his life.

• 1 month later...