SportsWrath

Giants Free Agents

Mr. P

When Barry Cofield was asked last week about the possibility that Tom Coughlin wouldn’t be back next season, the first thing he said was “Who knows if any of us will be here?” In this offseason of uncertainty, with a looming NFL lockout, that is very true.

It also makes it nearly impossible to forecast the futures of the 22 Giants players who are not under contract for 2011. Many of them will be unrestricted free agents. Some of them will be restricted free agents. Which ones are which will depend on the terms of the next collective bargaining agreement.

And so much of that is unknown. How many years of service will a player need to become “unrestricted”? Will teams still have use of a “franchise” or “transition” tag? Will there be a salary cap? How about a salary floor? And when will free agency start and how long will it last?

Until those questions are answered, the fate of these players will likely remain in limbo. The Giants are certainly free to sign any of them to a contract extension at any time, but so far there has been little indication that’s in their plans before a new CBA is signed.

Anyway, for what it’s worth, here are the players not under contract for next year, as of now. Their 2010 salaries, according to NFLPA records, are in parenthesis:

LB Chase Blackburn ($650,000)

OL Kevin Boothe ($1,176,000)

TE Kevin Boss ($1,350,000)

RB Ahmad Bradshaw ($1,001,000)

DB Courtney Brown ($470,000)

LB Keith Bulluck ($855,000)

WR Michael Clayton ($630,000)

DT Barry Cofield ($1,759,000)

S Deon Grant ($855,000)

WR Derek Hagan ($630,000)

WR Domenik Hixon ($1,684,000)

S Michael Johnson ($1,350,000)

DE Mathias Kiwanuka ($1,776,000)

OL Jamon Meredith ($395,000)

TE Bear Pascoe ($395,000)

WR Darius Reynaud ($470,000)

WR Steve Smith ($555,000)

QB Jim Sorgi ($630,000)

DE Dave Tollefson ($1,684,000)

RB DJ Ware ($545,000)

LB Gerris Wilkinson ($1,176,000)

CB Brian Witherspoon *

*Witherspoon’s contract isn’t currently listed on the NFLPA website, though it’s believed that when the Giants signed him last week he was signed only through the end of this year.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2011/01/uncertainty-looms-for-giants-free-agents?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nydnrss%2Fblogs%2Fgiants+%28Blogs%2FThe+Blue+Screen%29&utm_content=Twitter

i trust they know what they're doing with smith and bradshaw. those are a ton of small salaries though, probably pretty indicative of how well we've been drafting and handling the cap in recent years. what a shame we've been wasting it these past 3 seasons

Who I'd to have back here:

OL Kevin Boothe - very servicable backup, and we're getting older... injuries are hitting the line.

TE Kevin Boss - would be a superstar on any other team, but Eli doesn't look to his TEs for some reason... but don't pay top dollar.

RB Ahmad Bradshaw - I'm actually on the fence about him. Fumbles lose you games, but I love his tenacity.

DT Barry Cofield - underrated player on the line; hope we can get him back as Coefield and Joseph on the inside sounds nasty.

S Deon Grant - not many years left in the tank, but he was arguably the secondary's best playmaker this year.

DE Mathias Kiwanuka - yeah, I know we have 100 DEs... but he was leading the league in sacks before he got hurt, he's always said and done the right things, and "you can never have too many pass rushers."

TE Bear Pascoe - possibly my favorite Giant right now. Longshot to make the team, takes advantage of injuries in preseason, works his ass off, plays out of position (and plays BETTER than Matty Hedgecock)... he's a fullback/Hback/TE now that can actually run and catch. Underrated guy, we need him and can probably get him for cheap. Plus he has a cool name.

LB Chase Blackburn - greatest linebacker in the history of the game.

WR Steve Smith - I don't just want this guy on the squad, we absolutely NEED him on it.

OL Kevin Boothe - very servicable backup, and we're getting older... injuries are hitting the line.

TE Kevin Boss - would be a superstar on any other team, but Eli doesn't look to his TEs for some reason... but don't pay top dollar.

RB Ahmad Bradshaw - I'm actually on the fence about him. Fumbles lose you games, but I love his tenacity.

DT Barry Cofield - underrated player on the line; hope we can get him back as Coefield and Joseph on the inside sounds nasty.

S Deon Grant - not many years left in the tank, but he was arguably the secondary's best playmaker this year.

DE Mathias Kiwanuka - yeah, I know we have 100 DEs... but he was leading the league in sacks before he got hurt, he's always said and done the right things, and "you can never have too many pass rushers."

TE Bear Pascoe - possibly my favorite Giant right now. Longshot to make the team, takes advantage of injuries in preseason, works his ass off, plays out of position (and plays BETTER than Matty Hedgecock)... he's a fullback/Hback/TE now that can actually run and catch. Underrated guy, we need him and can probably get him for cheap. Plus he has a cool name.

WR Steve Smith - I don't just want this guy on the squad, we absolutely NEED him on it.

Smith, Boothe and Cofield are the only true musts for me

I hope Smith has as much success with his rehab as Phillips did.

rb's are very replaceable these days and we've already paid jacobs. it's just bad business to give two rb's big contracts when there are plenty of arian fosters and lagarrette blount's out there. there's a reason most teams dont draft rb's in the 1st round anymore, they're not a good long-term investment and with bradshaw's history of always being banged up and all the mileage we put on him these past two seasons we should probably get out before it's too late.

boss can go too for all i care. he makes 8 great catches a season and drives me nuts all the other times. he's another one who is very banged up and will just get more and more immobile as time goes on

LB Chase Blackburn ($650,000) Sign him, Chase earns his money and he's well respected. Just don't start him.

OL Kevin Boothe ($1,176,000). problem here is that after this season, Boothe will surely hear offers from other teams and at 27, needs to get paid bigger $. can't see it.

TE Kevin Boss ($1,350,000). Need to sign him, he gets better each year.

RB Ahmad Bradshaw ($1,001,000). Can't see it, again he's looking to get paid and we can't service 2 rb's all that money.

DB Courtney Brown ($470,000) Toss

LB Keith Bulluck ($855,000) Nah, not worth it

WR Michael Clayton ($630,000) Toss

DT Barry Cofield ($1,759,000) Cofield needs to be signed, pair him with Joseph and we have our dl's for the next 4 years.

S Deon Grant ($855,000) I'd sign him for another year, he earned his money and I think he'd be a good guy to have around back there

WR Derek Hagan ($630,000) Absolutely, shows what a bad decision we made going with 2 rookies. And you probably get him at that price.

WR Domenik Hixon ($1,684,000) Gone, thanks Domenick, we missed you this year.

S Michael Johnson ($1,350,000). What a waste. I was so high on the guy. I think he ends up a Ram. Spags knew how to use him

DE Mathias Kiwanuka ($1,776,000). I can't see it. Of all the players we have, this guy got the biggest run around of all. He starts nearly everywhere else and he could well be pro bowl level elsewhere. He'll want big money and someone will give it to him.

OL Jamon Meredith ($395,000) Toss

TE Bear Pascoe ($395,000) Abso fucking lutely, and let Madision walk. Pascoe has been great.

WR Darius Reynaud ($470,000) No, did nothing worth keeping

WR Steve Smith ($555,000) the 1st priority. Offense loses 2 wheels when he's not playing.

QB Jim Sorgi ($630,000) Give me a fucking break, see ya, and take all that lifetime backup experience with you. Rosenfels is a huge upgrade.

DE Dave Tollefson ($1,684,000) Another guy out of luck, does well when he plays. He'll want a chance to play and he deserves it, good worker

RB DJ Ware ($545,000) Ahh, no biggie if he leaves, can replace in draft or waiver wire.

LB Gerris Wilkinson ($1,176,000) After Sinorice, the biggest waste of space. Goodbye.

CB Brian Witherspoon * Toss

Agree 100%, especially about Blackburn. As the old saying goes, you don't trade Hall of Famers.

LB Chase Blackburn ($650,000) Sign him, Chase earns his money and he's well respected. Just don't start him.

OL Kevin Boothe ($1,176,000). problem here is that after this season, Boothe will surely hear offers from other teams and at 27, needs to get paid bigger $. can't see it.

RB Ahmad Bradshaw ($1,001,000). Can't see it, again he's looking to get paid and we can't service 2 rb's all that money.

DB Courtney Brown ($470,000) Toss

WR Michael Clayton ($630,000) Toss

DT Barry Cofield ($1,759,000) Cofield needs to be signed, pair him with Joseph and we have our dl's for the next 4 years.

S Deon Grant ($855,000) I'd sign him for another year, he earned his money and I think he'd be a good guy to have around back there

WR Derek Hagan ($630,000) Absolutely, shows what a bad decision we made going with 2 rookies. And you probably get him at that price.

WR Domenik Hixon ($1,684,000) Gone, thanks Domenick, we missed you this year.

S Michael Johnson ($1,350,000). What a waste. I was so high on the guy. I think he ends up a Ram. Spags knew how to use him

DE Mathias Kiwanuka ($1,776,000). I can't see it. Of all the players we have, this guy got the biggest run around of all. He starts nearly everywhere else and he could well be pro bowl level elsewhere. He'll want big money and someone will give it to him.

OL Jamon Meredith ($395,000) Toss

TE Bear Pascoe ($395,000) Abso fucking lutely, and let Madision walk. Pascoe has been great.

WR Darius Reynaud ($470,000) No, did nothing worth keeping

WR Steve Smith ($555,000) the 1st priority. Offense loses 2 wheels when he's not playing.

QB Jim Sorgi ($630,000) Give me a fucking break, see ya, and take all that lifetime backup experience with you. Rosenfels is a huge upgrade.

DE Dave Tollefson ($1,684,000) Another guy out of luck, does well when he plays. He'll want a chance to play and he deserves it, good worker

RB DJ Ware ($545,000) Ahh, no biggie if he leaves, can replace in draft or waiver wire.

LB Gerris Wilkinson ($1,176,000) After Sinorice, the biggest waste of space. Goodbye.

CB Brian Witherspoon * Toss

Good write up, too......but I think we find a way to resign Kiwi.

It's a sad fact, but someone very important on the defense is going to go down again next year. If we let Kiwi go, we'll regret not having him to plug into whatever spot needs him. The guy is too damn versatile to let go.

Same thing for Tollefson, but less so.

Regarding Boothe, wouldn't be surprised if we found room for him too.....this dude did a great job stepping in. And there's no telling how long OHara will be starting.

I agree.. but could it be that next year he will play much much better as he will be an extra year removed from knee surgery.. or whatever surgery he had?

I agree with everything else except this. Boss is easily replaceable and is becoming a concussion on legs. If we can retain him fairly cheap, then go for it, but anything more...no way.

Good write up, too......but I think we find a way to resign Kiwi.

It's a sad fact, but someone very important on the defense is going to go down again next year. If we let Kiwi go, we'll regret not having him to plug into whatever spot needs him. The guy is too damn versatile to let go.

Same thing for Tollefson, but less so.

Regarding Boothe, wouldn't be surprised if we found room for him too.....this dude did a great job stepping in. And there's no telling how long OHara will be starting.

The only thing about Kiwi that I think is that Kiwi might just want to try another team because he's been flat out of luck here. Switched to LB, injured and missed the superbowl and then has to play a numbers game the last few years. He starts for so many other teams and frankly, the possible superbowl contender tag is gone now. He would do a lot of damage with another team, frankly he'd be great for a team ready to take the next step, like the Lions, 49ers, Rams etc.

If he's gone, then Tollefson would be easier to sign, but again, for the same money level, he can go elsewhere and play more.

JPP is a huge factor here. He just changes the dynamic, the guy has got to get more reps next year. I believe we have a keeper with this guy.

Thing about Boothe is, between now and nnext year, can he replace anyone on the line. Right now, not really, and chances are that if Diehl gets moved, then Beatty moves to the left. It's going to be hard to convince a free agent to stay to battle for a spot, he'll get playing time elsewhwere.

I agree with everything else except this. Boss is easily replaceable and is becoming a concussion on legs. If we can retain him fairly cheap, then go for it, but anything more...no way.

Boss is going to have a short career unless this team figures out how to use him. If they ever do, watch out.

2 years ago, the Giants had the chance to get this kid the ultimate mentor, but Tony Gonzalez ends up in Atlanta for pittance. To this day that pisses me off. You think Tony Gonzalez sits there while Eli overthrows him and leads him into vicious hits. Eli would learn fast not to.

Boss is going to have a short career unless this team figures out how to use him. If they ever do, watch out.

2 years ago, the Giants had the chance to get this kid the ultimate mentor, but Tony Gonzalez ends up in Atlanta for pittance. To this day that pisses me off. You think Tony Gonzalez sits there while Eli overthrows him and leads him into vicious hits. Eli would learn fast not to.

I'm almost leaning on (if Boss goes) drafting Kyle Rudolf in the 2nd if he's there. It's just a fantasy really, but could you imagine how fucked defenses would be with our WRs and Rudolf to worry about? He's Shockey part 2, without the tude for now.

LB Chase Blackburn Zero interest unless he takes league minimum. Not a starter only a special teams guy and not worth any extra money.

OL Kevin Boothe He played well when he had to and even stepped in at center in the final game. I would look to find a two year deal because he has talent and knows the system.

TE Kevin Boss A definite bring back unless he asks for an unreasonable number. Blocks well and has shown on numerous occasions he can make a clutch catch.

RB Ahmad Bradshaw This one is tough. I don't think in my lifetime I've ever seen a little guy fight so hard for that extra yard. At the same time while fighting for that yard he will sometimes give up the ball. I'm a conservative guy so again 2 year contract at a reasonable rate.

DB Courtney Brown Who?

LB Keith Bulluck Fuck off old man. You did NOTHING.

WR Michael Clayton I at least know who you are but you still suck. Fuck off.

DT Barry Cofield Bring him back. He seemed to be the only person who recognized a screen and disrupted a lot of them this season. That to me says he was studying film and remembered what he saw.

S Deon Grant This one I am borderline on. He made a lot of great plays as the third safety. If the money works he deserves a spot.

WR Derek Hagan Nothing more than a training camp invite. Talent level just isn't there.

WR Domenik Hixon Check his health before any decision. Great punt returner, something the team lacked all season long.

S Michael Johnson No thanks

DE Mathias Kiwanuka Toughest decision yet. Depends entirely on how he recovers and what he wants

OL Jamon Meredith Who the fuck is this asshole?

TE Bear Pascoe Cut Hedgecock and replace him with this guy.

WR Darius Reynaud FUCK YOU

WR Steve Smith Biggest question is health. If not for the knee injury he would be an easy resign.

QB Jim Sorgi Fuck off

DE Dave Tollefson Meh not a great talent but serviceable. At the right price he does contribute to ST.

RB DJ Ware Running backs are easily replaceable and aside from returning kicks what has he ever done?

LB Gerris Wilkinson Never lived up to his potential goodbye

CB Brian Witherspoon Fuck this asshole

Boss, Bradshaw, Cofield, Steve Smith...and maybe Deon Grant and Pascoe....other than that, don't let the door hit ya on the way out.

Boss, Bradshaw, Co....hell every one of the ones you want back are going to want more than they are worth.