SportsWrath

Hakeem Nicks Compared to 2009 Higher Drafted WR's

BleedinBlue

A lot of people have said that the 2009 draft was a bust for Reese, but I think Nicks was such a steal that it salvages the entire draft.

Hakeem Nicks compared to the earlier drafted WR's some of us wanted the Giants to draft, but had to settle for Nicks:

Darius Heyward-Bey (1st rd - pick 7) Oakland

2009 season: 9 catches / 124 yards / 1 TD

2010 season: 19 catches / 266 yards / 1 TD

Michael Crabtree (1st rd - pick 10) 49rs

2009 season: 48 catches / 625 yards / 2 TD

2010 season: 31 catches / 385 yards / 3 TD

Jeremy Maclin (1st rd - pick 19) Eagles

2009 season: 48 catches / 762 yards / 4 TD

2010 season: 34 catches / 506 yards / 6 TD

Percy Harvin (1st rd - pick 22) Vikings

2009 season: 60 catches / 790 yards / 6 TD

2010 season: 40 catches / 519 yards / 3 TD

Hakeem Nicks (1st rd - pick 29) Giants

2009 season: 47 catches / 790 yards / 6 TD

2010 season: 51 catches / 653 yards / 9 TD

Starting to look as if Nicks was the best of the group. He has really given the Giants a superb throwing game. He's a threat everytime he's on the field and teams can no longer afford to put 2 men on Smith and let Nicks be guarded with 1 guy. Nicks, Smith, and Manningham have got to be a nightmare to opposing teams' secondaries.

A lot of people have said that the 2009 draft was a bust for Reese, but I think Nicks was such a steal that it salvages the entire draft.

Hakeem Nicks compared to the earlier drafted WR's some of us wanted the Giants to draft, but had to settle for Nicks:

Darius Heyward-Bey (1st rd - pick 7) Oakland

2009 season: 9 catches / 124 yards / 1 TD

2010 season: 19 catches / 266 yards / 1 TD

Michael Crabtree (1st rd - pick 10) 49rs

2009 season: 48 catches / 625 yards / 2 TD

2010 season: 31 catches / 385 yards / 3 TD

Jeremy Maclin (1st rd - pick 19) Eagles

2009 season: 48 catches / 762 yards / 4 TD

2010 season: 34 catches / 506 yards / 6 TD

Percy Harvin (1st rd - pick 22) Vikings

2009 season: 60 catches / 790 yards / 6 TD

2010 season: 40 catches / 519 yards / 3 TD

Hakeem Nicks (1st rd - pick 29) Giants

2009 season: 47 catches / 790 yards / 6 TD

2010 season: 51 catches / 653 yards / 9 TD

Starting to look as if Nicks was the best of the group. He has really given the Giants a superb throwing game. He's a threat everytime he's on the field and teams can no longer afford to put 2 men on Smith and let Nicks be guarded with 1 guy. Nicks, Smith, and Manningham have got to be a nightmare to opposing teams' secondaries.

I liked Maclin and Nicks out of that group. You forgot to mention Kenny Britt, he was taken around the same spot and I liked him, too. Unfortunately, Britt has had some injury problems lately but was looking like he was blossoming.

I've been saying since the draft that this guy was good, and ever since I saw him play last year he made me a believer that he is going ot be the best Giants receiver ever. This guy is not just good, but he is SPECIAL.

I think it's too early to tell on the group of receivers. After next year would be a better time to review... but early returns are really good. Maclin has been impressive as has Harvin but Harvin is fragile. Nicks looks like a perennial All-Pro.

He's the closest thing to Michael Irvin that the the NFL has.

Everyone raves about speedsters like DeSean Jackson...and no doubt, that kid has talent.

But Nicks is a guy that will just abuse man coverage....he has size, hands, and quickness.

Terrific pickup.

He's the closest thing to Michael Irvin that the the NFL has.

Everyone raves about speedsters like DeSean Jackson...and no doubt, that kid has talent.

But Nicks is a guy that will just abuse man coverage....he has size, hands, and quickness.

Terrific pickup.

IMO, thats a great comparison.

Watch Nicks real close, that push off is a thing of beauty. Irvin was outstanding at it, but he was getting the Michael Jordan treatment from the refs too... Nicks on the other hand is like a magician performing a trick; such quick hands, gets on and off the defenders pads so quick the ref can't even see it.

And he's better in the open field than Irvin ever was.

dare the dog say it is difficult to compare these players due to the circumstances surrounding the teams they are on, or would that be redundant? looking at the numbers doesn't accoung for offensive systems, surrounding talent, the role they are being asked to fill...etc...that being said, and everyone take a breath, the dog would clearly take Nicks in a heart beat at this stage of the game. he is a pure talent.

I have to say, the Giants have one of the most mellow QB/Receiver groups in the NFL....at least among those that are good.

I think it's great that Steve Smith is the most veteran guy....he's productive, he's laid back, and he's earned a ring....really can't get any better than that.

Having Moss or TO on this team would immediately upset the chemisty.

dare the dog say it is difficult to compare these players due to the circumstances surrounding the teams they are on, or would that be redundant? looking at the numbers doesn't accoung for offensive systems, surrounding talent, the role they are being asked to fill...etc...that being said, and everyone take a breath, the dog would clearly take Nicks in a heart beat at this stage of the game. he is a pure talent.

:o

I remember that draft, a lot of Maclin fans on this board that year. People were knocking Nicks as being a possession receiver when we really needed a number one WR capable of stretching the field. I feel pretty good about how Nicks has turned out.

I really don't like making comparisons to Nicks and other receivers. I think Nicks and Manningham are benefiting from defenses blanketing Steve Smith this year. Smith is still making catches, Nicks and Manningham are making them pay for it.

I remember that draft, a lot of Maclin fans on this board that year. People were knocking Nicks as being a possession receiver when we really needed a number one WR capable of stretching the field. I feel pretty good about how Nicks has turned out.

I really don't like making comparisons to Nicks and other receivers. I think Nicks and Manningham are benefiting from defenses blanketing Steve Smith this year. Smith is still making catches, Nicks and Manningham are making them pay for it.

I agree that comparisons cannot be completely fair. I think that Nicks is the perfect fit for Eli and he has that natural ability to know where to be when the ball is going to him. It's like he's in total sync with Eli. And you're right that Smith draws a lot of double teams that works to both Nicks' and Manningham's benefit....also, Nicks' monster sized hands puts him in a different league altogether IMO.

I remember wondering what it would take to trade up and grab Crabtree, who was the absolute darling of all the sports pundits. Thank heavens we didn't give up a couple of draft picks and someone like Boss to move up and grab him.

I can't ever remember a time when the Giants had this good of a passing game. I think Boss has developed into one of the top tight ends in the NFL as well, and if it wasn't for the 3 solid WR's, he'd be seeing a lot more balls thrown his way.

I love the way Smith, Nicks, Manningham, and Boss just quietly go about doing their business without flair and without pounding their chest and running their mouths like some bigtime receivers. It's just delightful to watch......as long as Eli is on anyway. And it's as if Eli (or maybe it's Gilbride) understands the importance of spreading the TD's around and keeping everyone happy rather than bunching them up on one guy and I was glad to see Boss used for a TD this past Sunday.

Nicks is earning doubles, too. They Giants are in the enviable position where defenses don't know who to double. If they shade the safety coverage over to Smith, Nicks burns them, and vice versa. And Manningham is a constant threat to take it to the house as well. In fact, I think Manningham is due for a big game soon.

When you think about it, how many times was Michael Irvin covered....but still came up with the ball.

That's the type of stuff I've been seeing with Nicks.

Pure speedsters are overrated.....every now and then, yeah, they'll get open, but put a good corner on them and they become invisible.

When you think about it, how many times was Michael Irvin covered....but still came up with the ball.

Pure speedsters are overrated.....every now and then, yeah, they'll get open, but put a good corner on them and they become invisible.

Most of them are track guys who don't like getting hit.

Not just that, but physical WRs can wear a corner down. After having Nicks knock you on your ass for three quarters in both the run and the pass game, you kind of lose a step... especially if you're a smaller CB.

I just wish Eli would stop overthrowing Smith on deep routes. Maybe it's just because I have Smith on my fantasy team but it seems to happen every game.

Those deep routes are the hardest plays to make. Everything comes down to timing and if Eli is slightly rushed, or Smith is bumped back a nano second, it's an overthrow. If Smith gets away unimpeded and Eli gets to count to 4, it's a catchable ball. But the more seconds needed to make the big play, the more unlikely the timing will sync up.

You won't remember me as one of those guys.. that's because during every draft I say I know next to nothing about college players and I'd let the guys who do this for a living make the decisions... which is why I'd make a great NFL Team Owner (zing.. Jerry Jones) :smartass:

Those deep routes are the hardest plays to make. Everything comes down to timing and if Eli is slightly rushed, or Smith is bumped back a nano second, it's an overthrow. If Smith gets away unimpeded and Eli gets to count to 4, it's a catchable ball. But the more seconds needed to make the big play, the more unlikely the timing will sync up.

I think he's gotten used to Nicks and underestimates Smith's speed and/or size when he throws. But you're dead right, it probably has more to do with Smith not getting away clean off the line.