SportsWrath

I wouldn't mind this hire at all.

fishgutmartyr

Daily News

Tom Coughlin is looking for a coordinator who can return the Giants' defense to its former glory. And to do that, he might reach back into the Giants' past.

Pepper Johnson, the former Giants linebacker and current Patriots defensive line coach, is not only a possible candidate, he would also be "very interested" in the job, according to two people familiar with his thinking. He has never been a defensive coordinator, but he has won two Super Bowl rings as a player and three as a Patriots assistant.

He also is a brilliant defensive mind, according to those who know him, and his presence and winning background would certainly get the attention of the Giants' deflated defensive players.

"Yeah, definitely, it would be instant respect," said Carl Banks, the former Giants linebacker and a teammate of Johnson's from 1986-92. "But even if they know nothing of his history and care nothing about Giant tradition, they'll respect his knowledge of the game. They'll respect the success he has in this league and the teams he's coached."

Johnson, 45, has been a defensive assistant under Bill Belichick for 10 seasons, after lasting 13 years as a player in the NFL. In all, this will be his 16th season playing or coaching for the man Banks called "one of the brightest minds in football."

And according to Banks, who is part of the Giants' broadcast team on WFAN, that pedigree should count for a lot when Coughlin considers a replacement for Bill Sheridan, who was fired Monday after one miserable season as defensive coordinator.

"You could get another guy that might be bright, but in my opinion you've got to look at everything," Banks said. "You've got to bring a guy who subscribes to winning principles and has been a part of it. You look at the Yankees. They don't settle. The Yankees don't bring in guys that could be good. They bring in guys that are good.

"And if you listen closely to what John Mara said (on Monday), I think it's pretty clear what his standard is."

What's not clear is where Johnson sits on Coughlin's short list, which one team source said is actually long. According to various team and NFL sources, it includes several coaches with defensive coordinator experience, including former Bills interim coach Perry Fewell, who was Coughlin's defensive backs coach in Jacksonville (1998-2002) and who will reportedly interview for the job tomorrow.

Other experienced candidates on the list include former Bills and Bears coach Dick Jauron, Coughlin's former defensive coordinator in Jacksonville (1995-98); Jets linebackers coach Bob Sutton (the Jets defensive coordinator from 2006-08) and Dolphins linebackers coach George Edwards (the Redskins defensive coordinator from 2002-03).

It may also include Dom Capers, another of Coughlin's former Jacksonville defensive coordinators, although Capers currently holds that job with the Packers and makes more than $2million per year. Also available is Romeo Crennel, the former Browns head coach and Giants assistant who ran Belichick's defense in New England from 2001-04.

But according to a team source, previous experience as a defensive coordinator isn't necessarily a requirement. And it shouldn't be, Banks said.

"When you look at what's needed to straighten out the defense, it's a culture that's conducive to accountability and winning," he said. "That's how (Johnson) was brought up as a player. And then if you take the intangibles, I guarantee you guys will work for him."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/2010/01/06/2010-01-06_pepper_could_spice_up_blue.html#ixzz0bqNPFTRU

Played/coached his entire NFL career under one of the greatest defensive minds in NFL history. Played LB, coached defensive line, so he knows the ins and outs of the front seven. Young, passionate, and in my opinion, a Giant.

He would be my preference, but there are a few interesting candidates out there.

Yeah, but...he's is a 3-4 defensive minded coach. We would have to start frome scratch. Especially since we only have one 3-4 LB. (Sintim).

True. But it would be worth the season or two of pain to get Bill's defensive knowledge back to the Meadowlands.

Yeah, but...he's is a 3-4 defensive minded coach. We would have to start frome scratch. Especially since we only have one 3-4 LB. (Sintim).

It's not like were going to getting back to the Superbowl in the next couple of years anyways, I'd rather implement a solid system then try to go for a quick fix and ruin us for the next 10 years.

I know this is probably a little ignorant of me, but Pepper Johnson is probably the only guy with no DC experience that would make me happy.

I'd prefer Romeo because of his extensive experience, but I loved Pepper as a player, because he gave 110%....and if he can get that sort of hustle out of the players, they'll improve greatly.

Regarding the 4-3 over the 3-4..... frankly, I'm willing to tolerate the growing pains of installing a 3-4. Given how many teams play a West Coast (or WC variant) offense, it makes sense to replace a lineman with quicker linebacker.

Tuck could (and would) transition easily to a 3-4. Osi and Kiwi would be more problematic, but they each have enough trade stock to make the acquisition of a nose tackle and/or linebacker a reality.

And since we spent much of the season dropping defensive ends into fucking coverage, I fail to see how going with a 3-4 could be any worse.

If Sintim is a 3-4 OLB, so are Kiwi and Osi. Looking strictly at their measurables, all three would be a pretty good fit at OLB in a 3-4...size is right, the speed is right. Could work.

Tuck might look pretty good at DE in a 3-4, Canty is a known commodity as a 3-4 DE, and Cofield played NT in college. So yeah, maybe it could work. Couldn't be any worse than the Bill Sheridan Experience.

Our DTs haven't gotten any pressure or stopped the run in 4-3, why would you expect them to be effective in 3-4? We'd need to clean house and start over. Keep Tuck, Simtim, Boley and Kiwi. Maybe Goff and/or Blackburne could work as interior LBs but I don't think any of our DTs are suitable as NTs

I'm liking the Pepper Johnson suggestion very much btw.

I know this is probably a little ignorant of me, but Pepper Johnson is probably the only guy with no DC experience that would make me happy.

I'd prefer Romeo because of his extensive experience, but I loved Pepper as a player, because he gave 110%....and if he can get that sort of hustle out of the players, they'll improve greatly.

Regarding the 4-3 over the 3-4..... frankly, I'm willing to tolerate the growing pains of installing a 3-4. Given how many teams play a West Coast (or WC variant) offense, it makes sense to replace a lineman with quicker linebacker.

Tuck could (and would) transition easily to a 3-4. Osi and Kiwi would be more problematic, but they each have enough trade stock to make the acquisition of a nose tackle and/or linebacker a reality.

And since we spent much of the season dropping defensive ends into fucking coverage, I fail to see how going with a 3-4 could be any worse.

HAHAHAHAhahaha...ha.....ha.........ha? :unsure:

Personally, in a 3-4 I see Tuck moving inside and Osi and Kiwi taking the outside, but they've all got the wheels to play in space on a limited basis. A VERY limited basis...but I swear I saw Osi drop into coverage more in 2009 than I saw him rush the passer. That ain't what I call limited.

You guys gotta be kidding me! We have NO IDEA what kind of defensive coordinator Pepper J would be and I'd rather not roll the dice! OK, he has Giant history and would bring "energy" but a DC needs a hell of a lot more than that, like the X's & O's, the schemes and how to put your players in position to be successful. I want someone who has proven he knows all this. You want to add him to the staff and see what he's got? Fine. But bring him in as the DC? Sheer lunacy!

You guys gotta be kidding me! We have NO IDEA what kind of defensive coordinator Pepper J would be and I'd rather not roll the dice! OK, he has Giant history and would bring "energy" but a DC needs a hell of a lot more than that, like the X's & O's, the schemes and how to put your players in position to be successful. I want someone who has proven he knows all this. You want to add him to the staff and see what he's got? Fine. But bring him in as the DC? Sheer lunacy!

well to be fair we had no idea what kind of defensive coordinator spags would be either.

I don't think Carl Banks would endorse Pepper Johnson just because they were teammates.

And given Belichick's trigger finger, there is no way he'd keep Johnson on his staff if he weren't pulling his weight as a coach.

It's clear to Banks that Johnson would bring the intellect, attitude, and Giants pride that were all sorely lacking this season.

We need a coach that can inspire players the way Spags did. And frankly, I think we also need a coach that can shove his foot up someone's (e.g., Rocky Bernard) ass, if required. I can't think of anyone with more credibility than Pepper Johnson.

And the fans would fucking love it to see him back on the sidelines....don't think that wouldn't fire everyone in the house up....and the defense could feed off that.

That's way he's probably the only non-DC I'd be happy to see hired.

Again, he's much more qualified than Spagnuolo was.

He's spent 23 years learning Belichik's schemes, and probably understands them better than Bill; since he's learned the X's and O's as a coach, and had to interpret them in practice on the field.

He gets instant respect from the players: he was a better linebacker than any LB we currently have, coached the NE defensive line for the past 10 years (and they've done it with some seriously old vets), and has that Bill Belichik pedigree.

Like I posted initially, I definitely wouldn't mind it. I'm open to other guys as well.

Again, he's much more qualified than Spagnuolo was.

Exactly.

Of all the former Giants, there isn't a guy that I respect more than Carl Banks - for his sense of Giants pride, plus his football smarts.

His comments from the article posted above:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/2010/01/06/2010-01-06_pepper_could_spice_up_blue.html

"Yeah, definitely, it would be instant respect," said Carl Banks, the former Giants linebacker and a teammate of Johnson's from 1986-92. "But even if they know nothing of his history and care nothing about Giant tradition, they'll respect his knowledge of the game. They'll respect the success he has in this league and the teams he's coached."

Johnson, 45,

has been a defensive assistant under Bill Belichick for 10 seasons, after lasting 13 years as a player in the NFL. In all, this will be his 16th season playing or coaching for the man Banks called "one of the brightest minds in football."

And according to Banks, who is part of the Giants' broadcast team on WFAN, that pedigree should count for a lot when Coughlin considers a replacement for Bill Sheridan, who was fired Monday after one miserable season as defensive coordinator.

"You could get another guy that might be bright, but in my opinion you've got to look at everything," Banks said. "You've got to bring a guy who subscribes to winning principles and has been a part of it. You look at the Yankees. They don't settle. The Yankees don't bring in guys that could be good. They bring in guys that are good.

"And if you listen closely to what John Mara said (on Monday), I think it's pretty clear what his standard is."

This makes so much sense it's ridiculous. Either we get Romeo, or we get Pepper Johnson.

With all due respect to Dick Jauron, I watched him for years as the head coach of the Bears. He's a good guy, a good coach, and knows his stuff. But this guy has all the fire of a mattress salesman. This defense needs to go back to a 3-4 with a guy that cannot be tuned out the way Sheridan was.

It's not like were going to getting back to the Superbowl in the next couple of years anyways, I'd rather implement a solid system then try to go for a quick fix and ruin us for the next 10 years.

I don't know about that man. This team has what it takes to go back to the SB. We're a few fixes away from that.

Amen to that.

Our DTs haven't gotten any pressure or stopped the run in 4-3, why would you expect them to be effective in 3-4? We'd need to clean house and start over. Keep Tuck, Simtim, Boley and Kiwi. Maybe Goff and/or Blackburne could work as interior LBs but I don't think any of our DTs are suitable as NTs

I'm liking the Pepper Johnson suggestion very much btw.

Exactly...

Did I miss something thing this year? Our Dt were horrible this year... Why all of a sudden we think they can take up 2 blocker when ther were struggling with one?

Exactly...

Did I miss something thing this year? Our Dt were horrible this year... Why all of a sudden we think they can take up 2 blocker when ther were struggling with one?

I think Cofield would be adequate, all he needs is someone to spell him to stay fresh. That guy has been on the field for damn near every snap since his junior year at Northwestern.

How would Alford be at NT if he can come back from injury? He's not huge, but he's got a nice low center of gravity, he might be an okay fit.

I think Cofield would be adequate, all he needs is someone to spell him to stay fresh. That guy has been on the field for damn near every snap since his junior year at Northwestern.

How would Alford be at NT if he can come back from injury? He's not huge, but he's got a nice low center of gravity, he might be an okay fit.

:unsure:

No way, dude. He's injury will take at least a year to completely heal up. We need a 4-3 defensive coach.

Tuck and Canty would be the DEs. They would need to pick up a NT. If there is any DE who would be the second OLB how can you not picture Kiwi there? He already has had a season and a half or so of LB training/experience.