SportsWrath

I wouldn't mind this hire at all.

fishgutmartyr

:doh:

It's like watching your brother get ass kicked and there's nothing you can do about it.

Guys, WE...DO NOT... HAVE...THE LB...NOR NT... TO PLAY... 3-4 DEFENSE.

All of our LB are small, slow and not very good pass rusher. Pretty much the opposite you need to have a 3-4 defense. (Except for Sintim)

The only DL that has experience playing the 3-4 is Canty... And we just paid him 40 Mil for a position that are pretty expendable.

But Nem, 4-3 DEs are usually 3-4 OLBs...so that leaves Sintim, Osi, and Kiwi playing outside. And I would put Tuck and Canty at DE. OLBs and DEs, we're good to go on a 3-4.

But yeah...lacking an elite NT it would be tough.

:doh:

It's like watching your brother get ass kicked and there's nothing you can do about it.

Guys, WE...DO NOT... HAVE...THE LB...NOR NT... TO PLAY... 3-4 DEFENSE.

All of our LB are small, slow and not very good pass rusher. Pretty much the opposite you need to have a 3-4 defense. (Except for Sintim)

The only DL that has experience playing the 3-4 is Canty... And we just paid him 40 Mil for a position that are pretty expendable.

Nem,

WE.... DON'T... HAVE... THE... LINEBACKERS... TO... PLAY... 4-3.... DEFENSE.... EITHER...!!!

For the most part LT was a stand up DE....with an OLB label. He had fair to decent coverage skills but he was paid for rushing the passer first and second...with the third being stop the run...with the fourth being in pass defense.

He had the power of a DE and the speed of a safety....his angle to the ball was flawless, and he had the best body control I've ever seen for a guy with his power.

I've never seen someone tackle as many running backs from behind, even when they were running away from him (which was usually).

He had the power of a DE and the speed of a safety....his angle to the ball was flawless, and he had the best body control I've ever seen for a guy with his power.

I've never seen someone tackle as many running backs from behind, even when they were running away from him (which was usually).

I hate to say it but DeMarcus Ware is as close to LT as I've seen. I loved Collinsworth's comment during the Cowboys/Eagles playoff; "I asked DeMarcus what he calls that move where he runs all the way 'round the Tackle and get the QB on the other side, and he said "I call it a sack"."

I hate to say it but DeMarcus Ware is as close to LT as I've seen. I loved Collinsworth's comment during the Cowboys/Eagles playoff; "I asked DeMarcus what he calls that move where he runs all the way 'round the Tackle and get the QB on the other side, and he said "I call it a sack"."

DeMarcus Ware is a hugely talented player....but the list of "The Next LT" is a long one.

is Ted Washington or Gilbert Brown available?

Seriously, its not possible to play a 3-4 without a nose tackle...and nose tackles arent exactly the easiest players to find...especially a good one. If the Giants are going to consider going with a 3-4, then they must sign Willfork this offseason. And thats not really a good idea beign they need to save their money for line backers. I like a 3-4, but I dont think its right for the Giants at this time.

For those keeping score at home, our defense completely sucked. Therefore, I'm less apprehensive in making big changes.

The question I have is this - given the proliferation of West Coast offenses, what scheme is the most effective? I'd argue that I'd rather see 4 fast, aggressive linebackers out there.

I can easily see Reese putting the pieces in place for a 3-4 within one season.

I remember last year, we were all wondering how the Giants could replace Plaxico and Toomer....done.

Correct but you can't tell me the defense that won us the Super Bowl 2 years ago didn't have pretty much all the personnel we had this season. Strahan is the only man out.. and Tuck has filled in quite Nicely. The difference was Spagnolo.. vs Sheridan. having said that, I too don't mind seeing 4 LBers out there.

Gotta see him healthy before making that judgment....but Robbins was nowhere near what he was before knee surgery. He's well north of 30 and just got too heavy. He's done. Hope Alford comes back strong.

is Ted Washington or Gilbert Brown available?

Seriously, its not possible to play a 3-4 without a nose tackle...and nose tackles arent exactly the easiest players to find...especially a good one. If the Giants are going to consider going with a 3-4, then they must sign Willfork this offseason. And thats not really a good idea beign they need to save their money for line backers. I like a 3-4, but I dont think its right for the Giants at this time.

Technically, the Giants play a nose tackle in their base defense - Barry Cofield.

If you watch carefully, the Giants D really isn't that different from a 3-4 already. In the base defense Cofield lines up in the C-G gap, the other DT lines up over G, sometimes in the G-T gap, Osi/Kiwi usually lines up outside the LT/TE, and Tuck usually lines up over the RT or TE, with Danny Clark behind him and to his left...its basically a 3-4 alignment with the ROLB (Osi/Kiwi) down in a 3-point stance.

But having that fourth guy with his hand on the ground makes things easier for the guys in the middle (and is a factor in the short pass defense suffering too, by the way)...I guess I'm just arguing semantics at this point, because I don't think Cofield is the guy to be a true two-gapper either, which the Giants will need if Osi or Kiwi has to back up off the line.

Gotta see him healthy before making that judgment....but Robbins was nowhere near what he was before knee surgery. He's well north of 30 and just got too heavy. He's done. Hope Alford comes back strong.

I disagree. Robbins' deflect-pick-lateral-to-Osi-for-a-TD-that-got-called-back play alone was more than we saw from Canty all season. Robbins will be healthier next year too, all Canty has on him is a bigger paycheck.

I disagree. Robbins' deflect-pick-lateral-to-Osi-for-a-TD-that-got-called-back play alone was more than we saw from Canty all season. Robbins will be healthier next year too, all Canty has on him is a bigger paycheck.

canty also has a contract on him.

robbins contract is up, and id be surprised if hes re-signed.

canty also has a contract on him.

robbins contract is up, and id be surprised if hes re-signed.

I think the Giants' goal of getting Canty was to replace an aging proven player by a young proven player... And the Giants are hoping Canty's performance this year was more due to bad coaching than his own skill level.

I think the Giants' goal of getting Canty was to replace an aging proven player by a young proven player... And the Giants are hoping Canty's performance this year was more due to bad coaching than his own skill level.

he's got skills- he just had the "i got a fat signing bonus" work ethic.