SportsWrath

The Good From an Otherwise Gloomy Game

BleedinBlue

It's very easy to get all hyped up before the season starts, especially when your favorite team has a stellar record for the past two years including a superbowl win......and then quality players are brought in from the free agency and the draft.

Then reality sits in. Every year is a brand new year. Every team has improved itself. Teams with new young rookie talent are at a disadvantage because of the amount of time it takes for a rookie to become NFL ready.

Regardless.....there were some bright spots in last night's game. I thought Nicks showed us that he's the real deal and will become our Number One in the recieving game. He looks as if he is ahead of the curve of the other rookies. Manningham is showing that he's just about ready to step up and be a solid reciever. Although Smith dropped the big one that probably cost the Giants the game, he is a proven commodity when used in tight coverage slants. Hixon and Hagan both look like legitimate threats once they get their real game sea legs back. Even Carr looked as though he has decided to play the game the way the coaches are telling him to play the game instead of relying on instincts.

Our running game looks solid and Bradshaw is showing the flash we all knew he had.

Regardless, it's easy to get down on the team during preseason because of stupid mistakes. But when the real season rolls around and Eli runs the whole game with first stringers around the horn....it will be an entirely different ballgame.

Nicks is for real. That should make everyone feel a little better about the coming season.

It's very easy to get all hyped up before the season starts, especially when your favorite team has a stellar record for the past two years including a superbowl win......and then quality players are brought in from the free agency and the draft.

Then reality sits in. Every year is a brand new year. Every team has improved itself. Teams with new young rookie talent are at a disadvantage because of the amount of time it takes for a rookie to become NFL ready.

Regardless.....there were some bright spots in last night's game. I thought Nicks showed us that he's the real deal and will become our Number One in the recieving game. He looks as if he is ahead of the curve of the other rookies. Manningham is showing that he's just about ready to step up and be a solid reciever. Although Smith dropped the big one that probably cost the Giants the game, he is a proven commodity when used in tight coverage slants. Hixon and Hagan both look like legitimate threats once they get their real game sea legs back. Even Carr looked as though he has decided to play the game the way the coaches are telling him to play the game instead of relying on instincts.

Our running game looks solid and Bradshaw is showing the flash we all knew he had.

Regardless, it's easy to get down on the team during preseason because of stupid mistakes. But when the real season rolls around and Eli runs the whole game with first stringers around the horn....it will be an entirely different ballgame.

Nicks is for real. That should make everyone feel a little better about the coming season.

the dog hates the preseason...everyone exagerates the positives or negatives. they really should limit it to fewer games. veterans are not going full tilt and just getting a feel for things...coaches aren't calling typical games as they are trying to evaluate specific things...

Nicks=great hands. He only missed one pass, and that was thrown high and behind him when he was crossing the field at a good giddy yap. Looks like he'll be one of the better receivers around the league. A starter for sure.

On the other hand, this is the second straight game Nicks caught a long ball--that's a really good sign. And with all the miscues, we lost because we were trying 2-point conversions. Which, IMO, was a good use of what was really just a glorified scrimmage.

I have to see the entire game, but I did see the end. It really wasn't that bad of a result. Except for Carr completely panicking when the rush is on.

Dropped passes? Not exactly new, even when Burress and Toomer were out there. What bugged me was how badly our secondary was beaten. We don't seem to have much going for us after our first 4 corners and our starting safeties. But I'll take them over what we had as recently as 3 years ago.

the dog hates the preseason...everyone exagerates the positives or negatives. they really should limit it to fewer games. veterans are not going full tilt and just getting a feel for things...coaches aren't calling typical games as they are trying to evaluate specific things...

That's a given , I know I showed displeasure last night in some game calling Realy if anything should of been dropped its the running plays in the 2nd half and just throw I mean Its Preseason and th egame don't count so why not give the WR's in came "practice" if you will. What really gets me is the Drops I mean How many did our WR's have and how many could of went for 6? (2 maybe Smith/NOmanningHANDS) If or WR's just could find an old jar of stick'um we should be ok in that dept. Another thing I am getting leary of is our secondary .

OH and while I remember. TYNES . You know I was listening to him on ESPN radio two weeks ago On my way home from work , and he said "he hasn't been kicking in camp ." My jaw dropped and I said outloud Youv'e got to be kidding me. Then he proceedes to tell us why... you knoe why? The Giants didnt have a long snapper available because the 2 centers we had were in drills so he stood on the side lines and watched. SO you know what...... If we lose by 3 no make that 2 in any game this year I will start laughing uncontrollably . We cant bring in a LS for camp or have a couch asssistant snap the ball ? Can't Feagles just imatate the snap and put the ball down. You know I hope Feags gives tynes a lucy this year.

Tynes is going to cost the Giants at least one game this season... yes 51 is a long kick, but NFL kickers should make it and DEFINATLY not leave it short.

Manningham drove me nuts last night, WAY too many dropped passes that hit him in the hands. Reminded me a little of Tim Carter except he actually caught a couple of them.

Tynes is going to cost the Giants at least one game this season... yes 51 is a long kick, but NFL kickers should make it and DEFINATLY not leave it short.

'should'? I don't think NFL kickers make it from 50+ more than half the time.

Not that Tynes has the leg to make it from 50...ever. :unsure:

I am watching the replay on NFL network. Hixon could be explosive if he hangs on to the ball,Smith had a rare drop the positive of that play though was fucking Eli's arm he threw it 60 through the air,can't question his arm strength now. Its too late I believe to bring a vet at WR like a Brandon Marshall,I think we should still be OK and I am impressed with Nicks, other positives are Dockery and Thomas have been playing well with Ross out and young LB's looking good without AP and Boley.

I think the dog should stop talking in the 3rd person and join the debate as an equal and valuable member of this board.

The other Blue thinks the prince means it,go all yemenian on your asses

Yemenian lol. I'm thinking about attacking them with a "running with the bulls" kindda way.. only I will be using Camels. Run for your lives!!! lol

OH and while I remember. TYNES . You know I was listening to him on ESPN radio two weeks ago On my way home from work , and he said "he hasn't been kicking in camp ." My jaw dropped and I said outloud Youv'e got to be kidding me. Then he proceedes to tell us why... you knoe why? The Giants didnt have a long snapper available because the 2 centers we had were in drills so he stood on the side lines and watched. SO you know what...... If we lose by 3 no make that 2 in any game this year I will start laughing uncontrollably . We cant bring in a LS for camp or have a couch asssistant snap the ball ? Can't Feagles just imatate the snap and put the ball down. You know I hope Feags gives tynes a lucy this year.

Unbelievable.

If this guy is short from 50 in the summer, can't wait to see how feeble he becomes in December, when the games actually count.

But no, we didn't need to think about a kicker with a stronger leg....Tynes has a stonger leg then every single kicker coming out of the NCAA. :rolleyes:

Unbelievable.

If this guy is short from 50 in the summer, can't wait to see how feeble he becomes in December, when the games actually count.

I don't have a problem with him missing from 51... I have a problem with him missing short. There's plenty of high school kickers around the country that have enough leg to make that kick. One problem is that somebody came pretty close to blocking that kick, if I remember, and that may have altered his kick angle at the last second. Every time I talk about this issue I think of Graham Gano.

I don't have a problem with him missing from 51... I have a problem with him missing short. There's plenty of high school kickers around the country that have enough leg to make that kick. One problem is that somebody came pretty close to blocking that kick, if I remember, and that may have altered his kick angle at the last second. Every time I talk about this issue I think of Graham Gano.

Agreed....wide right/left is understandable. Being dead on, and still miss because he doesn't have a leg, is unacceptable.

And considering the conditions last night are the best he'll likely see ever in the Meadowlans, I have zero confidence in this guy.

And I just think its fucking stupid that we should even be having this conversation....it's crystal clear to me that we could easily upgrade this position.

I was reading an article today on Dallas' kicker from USC....the guy is a physical freak. And they already have a very solid kicker in Nick Folk. It's like the Giants keep missing the memo.

Agreed....wide right/left is understandable. Being dead on, and still miss because he doesn't have a leg, is unacceptable.

And considering the conditions last night are the best he'll likely see ever in the Meadowlans, I have zero confidence in this guy.

And I just think its fucking stupid that we should even be having this conversation....it's crystal clear to me that we could easily upgrade this position.

I was reading an article today on Dallas' kicker from USC....the guy is a physical freak. And they already have a very solid kicker in Nick Folk. It's like the Giants keep missing the memo.

Buehler is the kicker's name in Dallas. I wouldn't hesitate to bring in Folk for a tryout if and when they release him (which I think they might). And you are right about this conversation being stupid. It's as if Reese and company think there are better things to worry about on their football team, why worry about kicker? There are better things to worry about, but I think a little bit of attention to this position is more than prudent. Having a good or bad kicker can be the difference between winning and losing so many times. Why not have a great one there? There's only 32 starting kickers in the NFL, why is it so hard to find one for us that has a strong leg and can split the uprights at least 85% of the time?

Cant take any 'goods' or any 'bads' from this game. For that matter from any preseason game. Going by this logic, a couple pre-seasons back Ron Dayne on his comeback was the leading rusher and rumbling along all over the place. We all know what happened to that.

Nicks has got good hands, Im not too convinced about this speed. I think there are numerous corners who can shut him down in this league. And either way he did all his stuff against 2nd-3rd stringers. The running game definitely is good. Our offense kind of goes into a stall when Jacobs is not on the field.

Other than that, Ill reserve any opinion after the first regular season game. Until then, fuck that!

Nicks=great hands. He only missed one pass, and that was thrown high and behind him when he was crossing the field at a good giddy yap. Looks like he'll be one of the better receivers around the league. A starter for sure.

That was my impression too. His first TD catch was fantastic in near-perfect coverage.

Buehler is the kicker's name in Dallas. I wouldn't hesitate to bring in Folk for a tryout if and when they release him (which I think they might). And you are right about this conversation being stupid. It's as if Reese and company think there are better things to worry about on their football team, why worry about kicker? There are better things to worry about, but I think a little bit of attention to this position is more than prudent. Having a good or bad kicker can be the difference between winning and losing so many times. Why not have a great one there? There's only 32 starting kickers in the NFL, why is it so hard to find one for us that has a strong leg and can split the uprights at least 85% of the time?

It really is maddening. Logic dictates that we NEED a kicker with a strong leg, because of where we play.

A good example is Chicago. Robbie Gould is a tremendous weapon for the Bears....they can count on him to boot it in Soldier Field, regardless of the elements. I can't tell you how many times he has been the difference for them at home - whether it is nailing a 48 yarder in the snow, or drilling a kickoff through the endzone and setting up the defense.

I'm not saying we'll be finding the next Robbie Gould in the NCAA....but I know we don't have him now.