SportsWrath

The 2009 NFL Draft Day Thread

Lughead

Has anyone noticed that the Giants have taken 4 offensive players out of the first 5 picks. That has absolutely got to be a first. Giants have always gone defense first. When they take offensive players, the alternate picks from defense to offense to defense to offense, etc.

So....finally....the Giants must feel fairly comfortable with their defense (specially with their offseason pickups) because they are molding a monster offensive team here!

Now that's some breaking news right there.. lol

What did you expect?

Was some funny dialog between him and Gruden, though.

Gruden: "Of course he likes me--He's 6-0 against me in his career!"

Coughlin: "I'm trying to get you a job."

What did you expect?

Was some funny dialog between him and Gruden, though.

Gruden: "Of course he likes me--He's 6-0 against me in his career!"

Coughlin: "I'm trying to get you a job."

Yeah Coughlin seems to have opened right up as a coach, like Strahan was saying during that "America's Team" documentary thing Coughlin has turned a page and is just enjoying himself.

I like to see that side of Coughlin.

Has anyone noticed that the Giants have taken 4 offensive players out of the first 5 picks. That has absolutely got to be a first. Giants have always gone defense first. When they take offensive players, the alternate picks from defense to offense to defense to offense, etc.

So....finally....the Giants must feel fairly comfortable with their defense (specially with their offseason pickups) because they are molding a monster offensive team here!

It makes sense--our FA were all defenders--we're one of the best in the league on the line, we're strong in the secondary, and the only draft pick on D was towards our weakest squad: LB. We'll probably go for 1 more OL, and low-round secondary help.

We needed at least two wide receivers, and we're screwed if Boss goes down. We drafted LTs no higher than 3rd round the past two years, and when MacKenzie was injured, we had to play Kevin Boothe. Beatty actually works, maybe he takes LT in 2010, and Diehl goes inside; that frees up Seubert to be Ruegamer+. Or Diehl goes RT if MacKenzie falls apart.

That was where the need was.

Yeah Coughlin seems to have opened right up as a coach, like Strahan was saying during that "America's Team" documentary thing Coughlin has turned a page and is just enjoying himself.

I like to see that side of Coughlin.

Me too. Of course that might be a function of the type of players he has now. This team's attitude is light years removed from the team he inherited in 2004.

From the New York Post:

Hakeem Nicks

WR, UNC • Round: First, 29th overall • Height: 6-1 • Weight: 212

Analysis: Big, strong body, huge hands and ability to make acrobatic catches. Can go over the middle, absorb hits and still hold on to the ball. Not exceptionally fast (40 timed in 4.51 seconds) and not great after the catch. Gained 14 pounds after the NFL Scouting Combine but has lost that weight since.

Did you know? Nicks is 20 years old, coming out of college after his junior year and has such large hands that Nike needed to special-order 4XL gloves for him.

Clint Sintim

LB, Virginia • Round: Second, 45th overall • Height: 6-2 • Weight: 256

Analysis: Natural pass-rush ability. Excellent size, long arms and has shown the ability to play through injuries. Considered model citizen. Does not have great lateral mobility and little experience dropping

into coverage.

Did you know? Sintim holds

the Virginia school record for most career sacks by a linebacker with 27, getting 20

in his last two seasons.

William Beatty

OT, UConn • Round: Second, 60th overall • Height: 6-6 • Weight: 307

Analysis: Quick and naturally athletic, light on his feet and can handle speed rushers. Not a huge frame, and plays with too

much finesse.

Did you know? Both of Beatty’s parents are pastors.

I predict the Giants will STILL get Braylon Edwards like the Saints got Shockey last year. I believe the Giants may toss in a player as well.....

This has been a good draft, combine this with the free agent signings and Reese has adressed needs.

OK. just got home from church and settled in at pc.

We picked ? TE Travis Beckham as our last 3rd round pick.

Wasn't TE Shawn Nelson from Southern Mississippi supposed to be ranked better?

I predict the Giants will STILL get Braylon Edwards like the Saints got Shockey last year. I believe the Giants may toss in a player as well.....

This has been a good draft, combine this with the free agent signings and Reese has adressed needs.

The Browns dont want players they just got a bunch for the Jets for the 5th pick in the draft. They want picks, so unless we dip into next years draft picks he isnt even coming near our team.

Besides Coughlin already said all these trade talks were nothing but rumors leading up to the draft, plus drafting two WRs and a pass catching TE makes me think we moved passed this whole Edwards/Boldin thing.

OK. just got home from church and settled in at pc.

We picked ? TE Travis Beckham as our last 3rd round pick.

Wasn't TE Shawn Nelson from Southern Mississippi supposed to be ranked better?

Rankings are based mostly on this past college season. Beckum was injured in his senior year so fell...in some cases, right off "expert's" charts. Had he gone in his junior year, he would've been a top pick.

Like I pointed out in an earlier thread, both Tuck and Kiwi fell because they were injured in their senior year and fell off most "experts" charts. And they worked out just fine.

6'0''

Combine Results:

40 Yard Dash : 4.49 seconds

Bench Press : 24.0 reps

Vertical Jump : 37.0 inches

Broad Jump : 115.0 inches

3 Cone Drill : 7.35 seconds

20 Yard Shuttle : 4.33 seconds

Analysis

Positives: Tall and thick in upper and lower bodies. Strong straight-ahead runner. Nimble enough to sidestep and find a running lane. Lowers his pads to run over tacklers. Will keep his legs churning in short-yardage situations and carry linebackers and safeties for a few yards. Able to stand up to blitzing linebackers. Productive receiver who is a mismatch against safeties in the open field.

Negatives: Runs tall. Lacks elite speed, taking a few steps to get going. Inconsistent hands out of the backfield, body-catches too often. Tends to dance in the hole if there is anyone in his sight. Does not have the quickness to make defenders miss once stopped. Must have more awareness of blitzers off the edge.

Injury Report

2007: Sat out the East Carolina, Virginia, Miami and North Carolina games after undergoing surgery to repair a fractured bone in his left foot suffered in the Florida State clash.

2008: Again broke the bone in his left foot during spring drills, undergoing a second surgical procedure.

Seems like insurance if our bruiser back Jacobs goes down and we need to punch it in from 3rd and short.

Edit:

NFL Pick Analysis:Brown is a steal at this point in the draft. The Giants do a good job with picking their players. He really made a name for himself at the Senior Bowl and flashed outstanding skills. He's got receiving talent and gives the Giants a great replacement for Derrick Ward.