SportsWrath

The 2009 NFL Draft Day Thread

Lughead

We had three QBs last year--Woodson was practice squad. Maybe he stays there again.

i know

im saying i dont think we do that again this year.

i think we have 3 qbs on the active roster.

That seems to be the case, but teams like Bal in 2000 and even Pitt this yr showed what you can do with a great D, a solid run game and an ample QB. Plus, we are all SPECULATING on what Nicks, Manningham and Hixon can do as a full time #1. We dont know, nor is it a lock that we need a Plax type receiver to win it all. We are so strong and deep at every other position, that I believe we are the front runners this yr to win it all. Whether or not the media agrees with that, who knows. And who cares.

baltimore's a real exception to the rule, and pitt had holmes and ward which is way better than our current top two. we dont necessarily need someone as good as plax but we need a legit #1--we're not winning the superbowl with steve smith as our #1 receiver unless hakeem nicks surprises us and develops right away or manning really steps his game up and starts pulling a brady before he had moss. im going by what i saw down the stretch with this team, not what the media says

baltimore's a real exception to the rule, and pitt had holmes and ward which is way better than our current top two. we dont necessarily need someone as good as plax but we need a legit #1--we're not winning the superbowl with steve smith as our #1 receiver unless hakeem nicks surprises us and develops right away or manning really steps his game up and starts pulling a brady before he had moss. im going by what i saw down the stretch with this team, not what the media says

Thats just my point, Holmes and Ward. They were Smith and Hixon before the SB's Pitt won. If before the SB's, if you said one of those are a legit #1, you'd be called a liar. I mean, Hines Ward has been their #1, and did well, but he's not your typical #1 rec. How do we know Smith, Hixon or even Manningham cant do what he did?

I'm just amazed that the Giants are focusing entirely on offense. So far....6 out of 7 picks are offensive players. That has to be a first for this team.

With the offseason we had, outside of a LB I didnt expect them to draft much on the defensive front.

Thats just my point, Holmes and Ward. They were Smith and Hixon before the SB's Pitt won. If before the SB's, if you said one of those are a legit #1, you'd be called a liar. I mean, Hines Ward has been their #1, and did well, but he's not your typical #1 rec. How do we know Smith, Hixon or even Manningham cant do what he did?

ward has declined a little, but holmes was at least a 1b-type receiver. he had 1700+ yards the past two seasons which is a lot more than we can say about anyone on our team. if these rookies can contribute right away--especially ramses in the red zone--then maybe we'll get by. i won't officially criticize until i see the final product though, reese has been too good every draft to not give him the benefit of the doubt, i can't say my doubts about our passing game are gone though.

With the offseason we had, outside of a LB I didnt expect them to draft much on the defensive front.

Yeah the entire FA spending was on shoring up an established defense. Reese and Co. needed to use the draft to bring in some weapons. Big money was spent on defense while rookie money was spent on offense. Not a bad philosophy.

ward has declined a little, but holmes was at least a 1b-type receiver. he had 1700+ yards the past two seasons which is a lot more than we can say about anyone on our team. if these rookies can contribute right away--especially ramses in the red zone--then maybe we'll get by. i won't officially criticize until i see the final product though, reese has been too good every draft to not give him the benefit of the doubt, i can't say my doubts about our passing game are gone though.

I think I said this in another post.

I think we'll make the playoffs then after that who knows what happens, fuck if we didnt get hot during our SB run we wouldnt even be talking about "winning again"

So this season we have Nicks start at #1 and have Barden try to get as much playing time as possible, let them do what they can their rookie season and see what happens. We will most likely make the playoffs and see what happens, if we dont make the big dance sure it sucks but big fucking deal we lost our #1 and #2 WR in the offseason not many teams rebound from that.

Next year in 2010 if we dont do anything the previous season then atleast this season will be great, all our rookies will have a year under their belt and we will see what Nicks, Barden and Beckum have done. I'm excited to see it but it seems some people are negative about anything.

They picked up Buehler (K) in the 5th. Hope we can snag Gano.

They picked up the inferior kicker. Good for them, they got a kicker that doesn't have enough leg to hit from 50.

Gano has the accuracy and booming leg to hit from 60. But the Giants will not draft a kicker.

I don't know how many years we watch Giants' drafts and they never draft a kicker, why should we expect this to be any different.

I would've picked a kicker before Rhett Bomar, which was a wasted pick. We have Eli, Carr, and Woodson, and Woodson I believe was graded higher than Bomar when he came out, too. Either way, it was a draft for a 3rd string QB at best, when we still could've drafted for potential in any number of areas, such as MLB, S, C, G, or yes, even K.