SportsWrath

The 2009 NFL Draft Day Thread

Lughead

I think we're wasting a great opportunity to land either Boldin or Edwards. Yes I'm very happy with our draft picks especially Nicks... But can you imagine having Edwards/Boldin, Nicks, and Smith on the field?

In my honest opinion here is how the situation played it self out, either:

1. The Browns and Giants talked but came to a stalemate, talks ended there. The Cardinals and Giants talked but came to a stalemate, the talks ended there.

2.The Browns and Cardinals have some fucked up delusional idea that we were going to give them our 1st and both 2nds for a 29 years old WR or a WR who only had one good year.

In situation 1 its unfortunate but happens all the time in the NFL, maybe they said "1st and 3rd and Kiwi" and we just weren't going for it. In the second situation both the teams can go fuck them selfs as Reese wasn't going to be held hostage.

All this media talk about "Oh the Giants and Browns are close" "Oh Mangini was seen giving Reese a hand job in the Giants parking lot" "Oh Arizona is lowering its price for Boldin, Giants are front runners" all this media crap is just here say. If you look at this draft the Eagles and Giants had no problems showing their putting their faith in rookies which shows me that all this recent "trade talk" was bull shit.

Ha, ha....as you were writing that we drafted BPA, I was typing that this is the first time I've seen us draft for need. I guess we see things differently :lol:

oops I didn't mean it that way LOL I meant we kinda got the BPA that also fell in line with ourneeds .:lol: been a long day :rolleyes:

these all seem to be good picks but what kind of impact can we realitically expect in 2009 on a team built to win now?

not much- who was the last rookie offensive skill player to make an impact on the giants besides Manning?

oops I didn't mean it that way LOL I meant we kinda got the BPA that also fell in line with ourneeds .:lol: been a long day :rolleyes:

Good point......as we drafted for need, we also got the BPA. Cool!!!! Yeah....it's been a really long day (I was up at 5:30 AM and in the middle of the day I went out and played 18 holes in grueling hot weather as well). Oh well, and I'll be glued to the set first thing in the morning and watching more of it.

Sad thing....as good as this draft is, tomorrow's headlines in the NY papers will be plastered with Sanchez and the Jets. We'll have to read the fine print to read about the Giants.

not much- who was the last rookie offensive skill player to make an impact on the giants besides Manning?

Geesh....remember our superbowl year only about 15 months ago??? We had 7 rookies on that team and they weren't all defensive players. Boss, Bradshaw, Smith....all made an impact.

Oh my god I'm drunk...

anyway, I'm not ecstatic with the Nicks pick but I believe Sintim and Beatty make up for it. More so Beatty, becasue I didnt think he'd be there that late.

Also, Cleveland is stockpiling WRs. That is a good sign for us. I believe they know that Braylon isnt going to be a Brown much longer. Lets hope for the best

Geesh....remember our superbowl year only about 15 months ago??? We had 7 rookies on that team and they weren't all defensive players. Boss, Bradshaw, Smith....all made an impact.

yes i do i'm not as senile as you-- none of them were expected to break into the starting lineup and none did.

we still need an experienced top flight WR. hicks may be TJ in a few years- we should have taken TJ.

You know what now that I think about it, I doubt we will land Boldin I mean less then a 0% chance. Mainly because he isnt as big as a head ache to the Cardinals as Edwards is to the Browns. Now unless we trade them literally almost all of our second day picks i.e. 3rd, 4th, both 5ths then I doubt we will be able to land him with this years picks. If and this is a big IF we we're willing to maybe say 2nd in 2010, both 5ths and a 7th then I could see the Browns taken the bait, since they seem to be mongering picks this year.

However I trust what the Giants FO does, if they believe Nicks is our #1 I'm behind the idea all the way.

Oh my god I'm drunk...

anyway, I'm not ecstatic with the Nicks pick but I believe Sintim and Beatty make up for it. More so Beatty, becasue I didnt think he'd be there that late.

Also, Cleveland is stockpiling WRs. That is a good sign for us. I believe they know that Braylon isnt going to be a Brown much longer. Lets hope for the best

I think the Giants fell in love with Nicks during their private workouts. In fact, I remember reading one of the followups on the visit and the reporter said the staff really liked him. Immediately after Nicks visit, they canceled their planned visit with Harvin - and that was before it was discovered Harvin had drug issues. Anyway, I trust Reese that he knows what he's doing and I think Nicks is going to work out just fine. Knock on wood!!!

Did anyone notice that ESPN must have told Kiper to shut the f up, because he rarely said a word. Of course, I was flipping back and forth between NFL Network and ESPN, so I might have missed a lot. Anyway....it's refreshing to see Kiper silent and simply looking down at the table like a lost puppy.

I think the Giants fell in love with Nicks during their private workouts. In fact, I remember reading one of the followups on the visit and the reporter said the staff really liked him. Immediately after Nicks visit, they canceled their planned visit with Harvin - and that was before it was discovered Harvin had drug issues. Anyway, I trust Reese that he knows what he's doing and I think Nicks is going to work out just fine. Knock on wood!!!

Did anyone notice that ESPN must have told Kiper to shut the f up, because he rarely said a word. Of course, I was flipping back and forth between NFL Network and ESPN, so I might have missed a lot. Anyway....it's refreshing to see Kiper silent and simply looking down at the table like a lost puppy.

Well it's almost a guarantee he will same something so fucking stupid that it would bring even more humiliation to ESPN, so I think this year they told him to sit down and speak when we tell you.

When was the last time we drafted a WR in the first round? Besides, I think this whole "learning the system" is a bit overstretched. It maybe a little more time consuming for a QB.. then maybe a RB or OT.. but for a WR, I'd day it's much shorter. How hard could it be learn a couple of plays etc?

yes i do i'm not as senile as you-- none of them were expected to break into the starting lineup and none did.

we still need an experienced top flight WR. hicks may be TJ in a few years- we should have taken TJ.

Smith is not a starter? And Boss became one entering into our playoff run.

When was the last time we drafted a WR in the first round? Besides, I think this whole "learning the system" is a bit overstretched. It maybe a little more time consuming for a QB.. then maybe a RB or OT.. but for a WR, I'd day it's much shorter. How hard could it be learn a couple of plays etc?

WR is one of the hardest positions to break in. besides marques colston, i can't recall a rookie WR making a large impact recently. (granted, most went to detroit) -and the giants record drafting WR in the first round is dismal. giants drafting WR in general is dismal. even the ones that had talent, they traded away before they developed.

Ike Hilliard with the 7th pick in 1997!

Ike Hilliard with the 7th pick in 1997!

Good.. and Ike was pretty good.. and we had who for a QB?

Times are different now.. we're an elite team.. we're missing a #1 WR.. aside from that everything else is patch up. We got Nicks and there's still a slim possibility of getting either Boldin or Edwards.

Good.. and Ike was pretty good.. and we had who for a QB?

Times are different now.. we're an elite team.. we're missing a #1 WR.. aside from that everything else is patch up. We got Nicks and there's still a slim possibility of getting either Boldin or Edwards.

We had... Dave Brown and Danny Kanell haha. We went 7-0-1 in the division that year.. Still had the Cards to play.. and we tied 7-7 to the Redskins.. Was the 1st year under Fassel, and we lost to the Vikings 23-22 in the Wildcard game.. drats.

that would be fine with me. it's the# 1 we're debating.

Oh yeah I thought you meat at #2, Smith is going to hold that position down for awhile.

I think Nicks could develope into a #1 every single analysis/expert says he has everything to be a #1 In my opinion we should throw him in from day one on a rotation with Hixon. Pretty much like Detroit did with Calvin Johnson or the Chiefs with Bowe.

For all we know from day one he will be playing great, we never know until we see him on the field. Plus I think we will draft some WR late in the draft to just fill in some depth at the position, also I would like to see Manningham in the slot WR role.

Needless to say this training camp/pre-season should be interesting at the WR position.