SportsWrath

The 2009 NFL Draft Day Thread

Lughead

Oh yeah I thought you meat at #2, Smith is going to hold that position down for awhile.

I think Nicks could develope into a #1 every single analysis/expert says he has everything to be a #1 In my opinion we should throw him in from day one on a rotation with Hixon. Pretty much like Detroit did with Calvin Johnson or the Chiefs with Bowe.

For all we know from day one he will be playing great, we never know until we see him on the field. Plus I think we will draft some WR late in the draft to just fill in some depth at the position, also I would like to see Manningham in the slot WR role.

Needless to say this training camp/pre-season should be interesting at the WR position.

i hope you're right, i would prefer some experience. so would eli and coughlin, i think.

We had... Dave Brown and Danny Kanell haha. We went 7-0-1 in the division that year.. Still had the Cards to play.. and we tied 7-7 to the Redskins.. Was the 1st year under Fassel, and we lost to the Vikings 23-22 in the Wildcard game.. drats.

Haha.. yea I remmeber that 7-7 tie game.. I loved it (even though a lot of people hated it)... wasn't that the game where Gus Ferrot (sp) knocked himself out by headbutting the wall? :lol:

i hope you're right, i would prefer some experience. so would eli and coughlin, i think.

Oh dont get me wrong I would like to have some vet WR starting, heck even if we re-signed Toomer for a year. However leading up to the Plax incident we were really set for acouple years at WR, since we relased him it threw a wrench in that position. So like other teams we need to make sacrifices somehow, we couldn't land Edwards or Boldin so were banking on raw experience with Nicks/Manningham or atleast thats what the Giants have shown so far.

Since thats what they choose to do I'm behind them 100%

jets are fucking idiots ...yet again ...they give up too much .....

That was a dumb post.

Abram Elam is a decent safety, but he's nothing special and we already replaced him with Jim Leonhard. Elam was a nice story; undrafted, troubled history (in the sense that he grew up in a rough area and had two or three of his siblings murdered, one as recently as last offseason), plays with a lot of heart and is a character guy. However, heart doesn't win you games.

Kenyon Coleman is a GREAT run-stopper, but a HORRENDOUS pass rusher and is grossly overpaid. Again, another good guy, and a solid player, but nothing to get upset over losing.

Brett Ratliff... lol. That's basically all there is to say. The guy had a great preseason, but it's fucking preseason. Also, as far as I can tell, the guy is as dumb as a box of rocks. I met him at the Freehold Mall for an autograph-signing session. This was essentially the transcript of my (very) brief "conversation" with him:

Me: I really hope that what you showed us last preseason was real.

Ratliff: What?

Me: I hope last preseason was how you'll perform in real games.

Ratliff: Me?

Me: Nevermind. Nice to meet you.

So essentially one fringe player (Elam), one decent but not Pro Bowl Caliber player (Coleman), and a 3rd-string QB probably at best (Ratliff) plus a 17th overall and the second round pick to move all the way up to 5th overall. Damn good trade, I think. We shafted the Browns.

I can't believe Mangini would trade with the Jets...

I'm not surprised. When he was with us, he was always picking up as many former Patriots that he worked with as possible. However, trades within the division combined with the bad blood Belicheat felt towards him made a trade impossible. The Jets and Browns aren't rivals, and he left on good terms -- he and Tannenbaum were joking together and hanging out at the meetings earlier in the offseason, as well as Rex Ryan.

Mangini(sp) just butt fucked his former team.

See above. Far from it. If anything, we screwed them.

I swear, the Jets don't play to get to the Superbowl, they play to make a splash on draft day. Seriously have you ever heard a team who biggest day of the year is a day not during football season?

<_<

That face is not because of the comments, but because I agree with you. I hate rooting for this team.

What I have concluded during the first 21 picks:

1. Eric Mangini and Co. got jack shit from the Jets for the 5th overall.

2. The Broncos are fucking retarded.

3. JERRY REESE DO SOMETHING YOU IMGRATE.

:TU:

No. You play the draft well when you get better picks than 3 extra sixth rounders. They could really

anal raped the Jets for the 5th overall. They didn't. Instead they took a low market deal and 3 shitty players.

You're doing a bang up job Eric Mangini.

I always defended Mangini when he was a Jet and was upset they fired him, but once he went to the Browns and I was no longer looking at him through green-colored glasses... damn, I'm glad he's gone.

SCREW YOU TENNESSEE! :furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::furious:

I agree! As a Rutgers student and a BIG fan of Britt before I even started it Rutgers, it killed me to see him go to the Titans. I really, really don't like the Titans because I think their fans are inbred idiots and really hate Eddie George, it kills me to see my favorite prospect going to them. I'll still root for him, but damn, why Tennessee?

I was really, really rooting for him to go to the Jets or Giants. Seriously, I don't mind the Giants and could have easily, easily rooted for Britt as a Giant and probably would have bought a Britt Giants jersey. I have a soft spot for the Giants since XLII.

------

However, I'd like to add to all of this that I am NOT thrilled with the choice of Sanchez. I don't think The Answer at QB was currently on our roster, but I don't think Sanchez is either. 16 games doesn't impress me the slightest bit. I was not a fan of him at all, nor drafting him because we'd have to trade big. Fortunately, we were able to get a steal of a trade to move up to fifth, so all I can do now is hope that I'm wrong about Dirty Sanchez. :TU:

Abram Elam is a decent safety, but he's nothing special and we already replaced him with Jim Leonhard. Elam was a nice story; undrafted, troubled history (in the sense that he grew up in a rough area and had two or three of his siblings murdered, one as recently as last offseason), plays with a lot of heart and is a character guy. However, heart doesn't win you games.

Kenyon Coleman is a GREAT run-stopper, but a HORRENDOUS pass rusher and is grossly overpaid. Again, another good guy, and a solid player, but nothing to get upset over losing.

Brett Ratliff... lol. That's basically all there is to say. The guy had a great preseason, but it's fucking preseason. Also, as far as I can tell, the guy is as dumb as a box of rocks. I met him at the Freehold Mall for an autograph-signing session. This was essentially the transcript of my (very) brief "conversation" with him:

So essentially one fringe player (Elam), one decent but not Pro Bowl Caliber player (Coleman), and a 3rd-string QB probably at best (Ratliff) plus a 17th overall and the second round pick to move all the way up to 5th overall. Damn good trade, I think. We shafted the Browns.

I'm not surprised. When he was with us, he was always picking up as many former Patriots that he worked with as possible. However, trades within the division combined with the bad blood Belicheat felt towards him made a trade impossible. The Jets and Browns aren't rivals, and he left on good terms -- he and Tannenbaum were joking together and hanging out at the meetings earlier in the offseason, as well as Rex Ryan.

I agree--trading your pick for (among other things) a QB is pretty fucking retarded--especially when you have two QBs like Anderson and Quinn. Even if he trades one, do you really want Ratliff?

That was a dumb post.

<_<

That face is not because of the comments, but because I agree with you. I hate rooting for this team.

:TU:

I always defended Mangini when he was a Jet and was upset they fired him, but once he went to the Browns and I was no longer looking at him through green-colored glasses... damn, I'm glad he's gone.

I agree! As a Rutgers student and a BIG fan of Britt before I even started it Rutgers, it killed me to see him go to the Titans. I really, really don't like the Titans because I think their fans are inbred idiots and really hate Eddie George, it kills me to see my favorite prospect going to them. I'll still root for him, but damn, why Tennessee?

I was really, really rooting for him to go to the Jets or Giants. Seriously, I don't mind the Giants and could have easily, easily rooted for Britt as a Giant and probably would have bought a Britt Giants jersey. I have a soft spot for the Giants since XLII.

------

However, I'd like to add to all of this that I am NOT thrilled with the choice of Sanchez. I don't think The Answer at QB was currently on our roster, but I don't think Sanchez is either. 16 games doesn't impress me the slightest bit. I was not a fan of him at all, nor drafting him because we'd have to trade big. Fortunately, we were able to get a steal of a trade to move up to fifth, so all I can do now is hope that I'm wrong about Dirty Sanchez. :TU:

Remember now, Matt cassel didn't start at USC eithernow.

USC is a pro system, good players or not, they are more ready to play pro than other players. I actually think they did the right thing today. They needed to make a call on a starting QB and this is the best thing to do. You know, for the most part, the Jets draft pretty decent, it's just there is so much nonsense with that team internally. After 4-5 years, most of those guys are gone.

Yea, I guess I didn't catch that. I was in the gym at the time and all I remember is "pass"

The 'Turds have 12 picks on day 2. Jones will try and make chicken salad out of chicken shit, just watch.

EDIT: Ya know, with all those picks, I wouldn't be surprised if they made a play for Edwards/Boldin just to piss everyone off. Cleveland's been stockpiling picks as it is.

The 'Turds have 12 picks on day 2. Jones will try and make chicken salad out of chicken shit, just watch.

EDIT: Ya know, with all those picks, I wouldn't be surprised if they made a play for Edwards/Boldin just to piss everyone off. Cleveland's been stockpiling picks as it is.

Good luck with that.

The last time the Cowboys stockpiled picks, they won 2 Superbowls with those players. Jones thinks he can do the same again.

That was the Hershel Walker trade, right? 15 picks or something that year? I'm sure they had a couple of #1's that year though.

not much- who was the last rookie offensive skill player to make an impact on the giants besides Manning?

smith was ok. we really needed to make a big improvement at wr for THIS YEAR otherwise what's the point of having a team built to win now. instad we're a team built to make the playoffs and just have a shot.

Did anyone notice that ESPN must have told Kiper to shut the f up, because he rarely said a word. Of course, I was flipping back and forth between NFL Network and ESPN, so I might have missed a lot. Anyway....it's refreshing to see Kiper silent and simply looking down at the table like a lost puppy.

yeah he wasn't their only 'expert' this year for a change as they had mcshea handing out grades as well. also, he had a really embarrassing moment when it was clear tampa was trading up for josh freamon and he's yelling about them taking the DE that the broncos wanted. keyshawn was trying hard not to laugh in his face

nicks might turn into a GREAT number one but odds are he isn't giving us what we need in 2009 and that's a #1 receiver. i still have faith in reese doing what needs to be done but we are't winning any superbowls til we replace burress

nicks might turn into a GREAT number one but odds are he isn't giving us what we need in 2009 and that's a #1 receiver. i still have faith in reese doing what needs to be done but we are't winning any superbowls til we replace burress

That maybe true but the point is the Giants didn't want to overpay for Edwards or Boldin... they drafted what the team needs most.. a stud WR. And it's not like the offseason is over...

That maybe true but the point is the Giants didn't want to overpay for Edwards or Boldin... they drafted what the team needs most.. a stud WR. And it's not like the offseason is over...

yeah i am waiting to reserve judgement and from what i've read and the video i've seen nicks really seems like a great pick i just dont want a repeat of last season where one weakness holds back a team that is pretty much stacked everywhere else because we were relying on a kid developing immediately in his rookie season to replace plax

It's a bit early for stud Nas. If he was a stud, we wouldn't have gotten him.

Golfingguy............. will you please stop calling Jerry Reese a fucking imgrate.... you sound like a fucking moron

In Golfing's defence......'Imgrate' is a term from the old GMB used to describe Ernie Acorsie's supposed unappreciation of fan's desires in the draft. Some poster there posted something like "get (insert player here) you imgrate" and misspelled ingrate as imgrate. That word has been around forever in Gmen-land. Nowadays it's mostly used sarcastically. It's similar to the infamous internet phrase 'pwned' instead of 'owned', where some lunkhead simply hit the wrong key on the keyboard.

In Golfing's defence......'Imgrate' is a term from the old GMB used to describe Ernie Acorsie's supposed unappreciation of fan's desires in the draft. Some poster there posted something like "get (insert player here) you imgrate" and misspelled ingrate as imgrate. That word has been around forever in Gmen-land. Nowadays it's mostly used sarcastically. It's similar to the infamous internet phrase 'pwned' instead of 'owned', where some lunkhead simply hit the wrong key on the keyboard.

trust me rik... i've been around for a long time. maybe he was kidding but it just brings back those bad memories of the GMB days I know what it means.... Golfing guy... maybe i overreacted... but the way you were saying that was just pissing me off...it's all we used to see w/ ernie over the past however long.....