SportsWrath

The 2009 NFL Draft Day Thread

Lughead

Like Michael Lombardi said after the Giants signed Michael Boley, Rocky Bernard and Chris Canty,

the Giants can use the picks in the upcoming draft to do whatever they want really. Aside from Nicks

(who's probably the most polished wide receiver in the draft) they are drafting for 2010. Some thing

New England has done since 2001.

I was reading the immortal BBI yesterday and those guys were SLAMMING Reese for picking

Stintim, and I am not sure why. Stintim had the most sacks in the ACC...I expect this guy to be

the Giants starter when Danny Clark sucks it up (which is in week 7). This guy can be another Kiwi.

You know, now that I think about it he's absolutely right.

See what we can do this year coming and if we fall short of winning the big game, sure it will suck balls but at the same time all of these rookies will have a year of experience under the belt. We are still in a decent position to go win the Superbowl, maybe not as good as last year but I still think we make the playoffs then who knows from there.

I'm just excited to see what this season is going to bring us, new starting #1 WR in Nicks, should have a few developmental O lineman and I'm really hoping for a new kicker :P Oh and cant forget Canty, Bernard and Boley.....I feel sorry for McNabb, Campbell and Romo.

You know, now that I think about it he's absolutely right.

See what we can do this year coming and if we fall short of winning the big game, sure it will suck balls but at the same time all of these rookies will have a year of experience under the belt. We are still in a decent position to go win the Superbowl, maybe not as good as last year but I still think we make the playoffs then who knows from there.

I'm just excited to see what this season is going to bring us, new starting #1 WR in Nicks, should have a few developmental O lineman and I'm really hoping for a new kicker :P

Exactly. Aside from Nicks, these guys don't have to play right away barring any injuries.

You can develop these players without a huge rush.

Giants trade for big receiver (but not Braylon)

Well, the rumors were right. The Giants made a draft-day trade to get a big receiver.

It just wasn’t the guy you were necessarily expecting.

The Giants traded with the Philadelphia Eagles to acquire the 85th overall pick in the draft (the 21st pick of the third round) which they used to select Ramses Barden — a 6-foot-6, 229-pound receiver from Cal-Poly. I told you that even though GM Jerry Reese insisted receiver wasn’t “a glaring need,” the Giants were absolutely determined to walk away from this draft with two wide receivers, and they didn’t take long on Day 2 to get their second man.

To get Barden, the Giants gave up their third-round pick (91st overall) and one of their two fifth-round selections (164th).

Barden ran a 4.68 at the combine, which was slow for a receiver. But he makes up for it with his size, obviously, and scouts say he’s quicker than guys his size usually are. He should be a huge (no pun intended) weapon in the red zone. He’s also a pretty good downfield-blocker. He’s probably the closest match to Plaxico Burress — style and size-wise — the Giants were going to find in this draft.

So, from the way it looks, here is your 2009 Giants wide receiver corps (in no particular order): Steve Smith, Domenik Hixon, Mario Manningham, Hakeem Nicks and Ramses Barden. If there’s a sixth in the rotation it could be Sinorice Moss. David Tyree still could stick around as a special teams player. But I’m guessing the long-term hope of the Giants is that Nicks, Smith and Barden develop into some form of a 1-2-3.

It really amazes me the amount of AFC teams that are trading with the Patriots, I mean

seriously...why give these guys future 2nd and 3rd round picks for next year? Why make them

even better?

It's a conspiracy I tells ya!

But yeah in all honesty I don't know, the Pats are draft guru's and make every year some great for them. They just know how to work teams and play the draft I suppose, I think Reese is catching on as well.

Yeah baby!!!!! Barden

This kid is going to surprise a lot of people even though he's a year or two away from being "The Man" to go to.

I love it.

What did we give the Eagles for this?

Would it be bad to take a Kicker with this compensatory pick? I'm sick of all this horse crap at kicker, just draft the best one available and sign him for 20 years.

I was thinking I wouldnt mind drafting Bueler from USC, but it may be a little too high.

Would it be bad to take a Kicker with this compensatory pick? I'm sick of all this horse crap at kicker, just draft the best one available and sign him for 20 years.

I totally want this. Was it Gano that's supposed to be the best available? We could walk away from the rest of the draft and have everything we need.

I wouldn't mind Gano from FSU, but I just can't see drafting a Kicker before the 4th round.

I wouldn't mind Gano from FSU, but I just can't see drafting a Kicker before the 4th round.

Well it's a comp pick so it's not that big of a deal since we already have gotten what we wanted. Two big, athletic WR's who can develope into Nicks as the #1, Smith as the #2 and Barden as the redzone tall chuck the ball up to him slot WR.

A LB who should fill in well with our system and a hell of a run blocking developmental OT.

But your probably right and they wont draft a kicker till later rounds.

Giants next pick is about 10 minutes away.

Let's get OG Duke Robinson or TE Shawn Nelson....or even CB D.J. Moore who shouldn't still be on the board.

We can get the best kicker available in the 4th or 5th (I think)

I'd like to go TE here. Reese is hot...lets keep it burning.