SportsWrath

My 2nd annual attempt at a Mock Draft

Virginia Giant

I realize the Giants are likely to trade picks for players at some point, while my personal thought is they trade picks for a WR, that factored into my mock somewhat, but not entirely.

Round 1: Clint Sintim, OLB, Virginia, 6'3" 256

Clint Sintim Scouting Report

Round 2: Sean Smith, S, Utah, 6'4" 214

Sean Smith Scouting Report

Round 2: Phil Loadholt, OT, Oklahoma, 6'8" 332

Phil Loadholt Scouting Report

Round 3: Mark Parson, CB, Ohio, 5'10" 193

Mark Parson Scouting Report

Round 4: Aaron Kelly, WR, Clemson, 6'5" 204

Aaron Kelly Scouting Report

Round 5: Louis Vasquez, OG, Texas Tech, 6'5" 333

Louis Vasquez Scouting Report

Round 5: Jason Williams, OLB, Western Illinois, 6'1" 235

Jason Williams Impresses at Pro Day

Round 6: Dan Gronkowski, TE, Maryland, 6'6" 255

Not much out there on him as far as scouting. I think we have plenty of talented TE's, but he may be worth a flier.

Round 7: Zach Potter DE Nebraska, 6'7" 279

Zach Potter scouting report

Nice draft....but I'll be surprised if the gints go for an outside linebacker if they tab a linebacker with their first pick. I have to believe they would go for and inside LB if they go that route. And I'll be surprised if the Giants haven't put a WR in the fold before the end of the second round.

Regardless, it's always fun to try and guess what the Giants will do, but they always seem to surprise everyone - and even piss us off now and then while we scratch our heads and wonder wtf.

As far as I can tell, every starting position is filled and many of the backups are 2nd and 3rd year guys being groomed for a starting position and getting better every year.... so anyway, this draft is going to be for depth only.

I'm going out on a limb and guessing that the Giants will surprise everyone and pick Brandon Pettigrout, the Tight End from Oklahoma. Pettigrout is very strong and already a seasoned blocker and the scouts say he's at the NFL level for a blocking TE, but he also has great hands and can move the ball north.

I know we don't really need a TE, but paired up with Boss, it could add to the offensive protection of Eli while also adding another weapon to the g-men.

But who knows.....they could go for the best player on the board in the first round and it could be a defensive lineman for all we know leaving us all saying, wtf.

Personally, I hope they burn a high (3rd or 4th) pick on the best kicker in the draft. Either Louie Sakoda (Utah) or Graham Gano (Florida State).

Nice draft....but I'll be surprised if the gints go for an outside linebacker if they tab a linebacker with their first pick. I have to believe they would go for and inside LB if they go that route. And I'll be surprised if the Giants haven't put a WR in the fold before the end of the second round.

Regardless, it's always fun to try and guess what the Giants will do, but they always seem to surprise everyone - and even piss us off now and then while we scratch our heads and wonder wtf.

As far as I can tell, every starting position is filled and many of the backups are 2nd and 3rd year guys being groomed for a starting position and getting better every year.... so anyway, this draft is going to be for depth only.

I'm going out on a limb and guessing that the Giants will surprise everyone and pick Brandon Pettigrout, the Tight End from Oklahoma. Pettigrout is very strong and already a seasoned blocker and the scouts say he's at the NFL level for a blocking TE, but he also has great hands and can move the ball north.

I know we don't really need a TE, but paired up with Boss, it could add to the offensive protection of Eli while also adding another weapon to the g-men.

But who knows.....they could go for the best player on the board in the first round and it could be a defensive lineman for all we know leaving us all saying, wtf.

Personally, I hope they burn a high (3rd or 4th) pick on the best kicker in the draft. Either Louie Sakoda (Utah) or Graham Gano (Florida State).

Yeah, i agree with most of what you say. If we keep all of our picks, it'd be worth taking a goofd kicker just to see what we can get. Finally get someone we can depend on year after year instead of someone elses cast off revery year.

This mock is mostly just guys that intrigue me and I would like to see us get, especially the first 2.

Whats with the linebacker in the first round?

I am one of the most steadfast defenders of taking an offensive playmaker with the first pick but I cant understand then taking a LB first round. LB was a definite need going into this off-season even before the FA signings. Pierce is still a good MLB but he is aging. And there are no proven guys to take the wings.

Drafting and signing a quality OLB is a definite need. I just thing getting a playmaker WR is a greater priority.

If we get a kicker i'm hoping for David Buehler out of USC best kicker in the draft

I don't think we get a wideout in free agency, i don't see Boldin going anywhere or do i really want him. Edwards is available i guess in rumors but he says hes staying and Mangini says hes staying so who knows, even if available don't believe we have the ammunition the Browns are looking for they seen Roy Williams go for a 1st,3rd and 5th they would probably want a high first. So i guess all the chips are on Plaxico returning or a first round stud which i don't think we get with the 29th pick, Britt would be great but i don't see him lasting past Baltimore.

I wish more would do some mock drafts here. I don't see them waiting til the 4th to draft a WR.

I would but I hate college football...boring as hell to watch..so I know nothing of college players. The only real time I look into players is when I see what "experts" have us taking and usually after we draft a player I will read into the kid.

If we get a kicker i'm hoping for David Buehler out of USC best kicker in the draft

OK.... don't mean to be a complete jerk off here but I can't let this one slide. Please do tell based on his performance why he is the best kicker in the draft... seeing as he was only 9-13 for the year, was only 2 out of 5 from over 40 yards, and was not even called upon to attempt a 50+ yarder... not just last year, but in his entire collegiate CAREER! This guy won't even be drafted. HE BLOWS. Yeah, let's check some stats at least before completely talking out of our bunghole, Bigblue. I would rather Scott Norwood come out of retirement and be our kicker than this guy.

As a basis for comparison, Graham Gano, the actual LOU GROZA AWARD WINNER, was 5 for 7 from over 50, better than Buehler from 40-49 yards. And unlike Buehler, Gano did not miss a fg not one time from under 50 yards, going 19 of 19. Not only that, but Gano had a 42.7 punting average with a 58 long and I personally watched him pin two punts IN A ROW the Champs Sports bowl inside the 3 yard line.

I demand that you retract that statement, sir.

Whats with the linebacker in the first round?

I see us trading for a WR, hopefully Braylon Edwards, this years crop of WR's in the draft just don't impress me. Britt looks ok, but I'd rather have someone who has seen what the NFL is about and has shown the talent to excel at the WR position, then draft a LB who could be an anchor for years to come.

OK.... don't mean to be a complete jerk off here but I can't let this one slide. Please do tell based on his performance why he is the best kicker in the draft... seeing as he was only 9-13 for the year, was only 2 out of 5 from over 40 yards, and was not even called upon to attempt a 50+ yarder... not just last year, but in his entire collegiate CAREER! This guy won't even be drafted. HE BLOWS. Yeah, let's check some stats at least before completely talking out of our bunghole, Bigblue. I would rather Scott Norwood come out of retirement and be our kicker than this guy.

As a basis for comparison, Graham Gano, the actual LOU GROZA AWARD WINNER, was 5 for 7 from over 50, better than Buehler from 40-49 yards. And unlike Buehler, Gano did not miss a fg not one time from under 50 yards, going 19 of 19. Not only that, but Gano had a 42.7 punting average with a 58 long and I personally watched him pin two punts IN A ROW the Champs Sports bowl inside the 3 yard line.

I demand that you retract that statement, sir.

I know Gano won the Groza award, but scouts love Buehler after an impressive combine. He didn't put up the stats that Gano did but does have great leg strength the guy played at USC and was not required to ever kick outside of 50 yards but have you seen this guy boom the ball on kickoffs. Buehler was 20 for 22 inside 40 yards my only knock on Buehler would be the meadowlands winds could screw him up but Gano has never kicked in inclement weather either Gano is protected to be a punter in the NFL anyway and Gano does have some injury problems

I like the picks in general VG, but the Giants have to pick wide receiver in the first 2 rounds. If they don't cover wide receiver and linebacker in the first 2 rounds, I'm going to be pissed. I'd go rounds 3 to 5 in picking reserves offensive line and I like the tight end call, although I'd pick one earlier, say the 5th.

In rounds 6 and 7 this year, the Giants can definitely afford to experiment. Fact of the matter is that more than likely we will have draft picks ending up on the practice squad because of our depth. Scatbacks and return men and special teamers (kicker!!), are the moves I'd make here.

I see us trading for a WR, hopefully Braylon Edwards, this years crop of WR's in the draft just don't impress me. Britt looks ok, but I'd rather have someone who has seen what the NFL is about and has shown the talent to excel at the WR position, then draft a LB who could be an anchor for years to come.

i think if we trade for edwards we dont have our 1st round pick anymore

I like the picks in general VG, but the Giants have to pick wide receiver in the first 2 rounds. If they don't cover wide receiver and linebacker in the first 2 rounds, I'm going to be pissed. I'd go rounds 3 to 5 in picking reserves offensive line and I like the tight end call, although I'd pick one earlier, say the 5th.

In rounds 6 and 7 this year, the Giants can definitely afford to experiment. Fact of the matter is that more than likely we will have draft picks ending up on the practice squad because of our depth. Scatbacks and return men and special teamers (kicker!!), are the moves I'd make here.

I agree that we need to address the WR position. But as i was piecing this mock together, I was uninspired by what would be available. There are a couple guys I like, but I like Sintim and Smith as the first 2 picks. Sintim would fit nicely in our scheme on D and Smith, while needs heavy polishing at S, could be our long term solution, he an Phillips.

I know Gano won the Groza award, but scouts love Buehler after an impressive combine. He didn't put up the stats that Gano did but does have great leg strength the guy played at USC and was not required to ever kick outside of 50 yards but have you seen this guy boom the ball on kickoffs. Buehler was 20 for 22 inside 40 yards my only knock on Buehler would be the meadowlands winds could screw him up but Gano has never kicked in inclement weather either Gano is protected to be a punter in the NFL anyway and Gano does have some injury problems

Dude, wtf, Gano injury problems? He's a KICKER! Gano is fine. Like I said, I saw him in the Champs Sports Bowl and he was the best PLAYER on the field. He was the absolute difference maker in that game with his punts AND kickoffs.

You draft Gano, and you get a guy that can punt a long ways, put kicks in the endzone on kickoffs, AND make the long field goals. By the way, I've been to Tallahassee several times and it's pretty windy.

20 for 22 inside 40 yards means nothing if you can't kick FG's from 40-49, which, for an NFL kicker, should be able to make with good regularity. That's what Gano does, in fact he doesn't miss from that distance. The ball comes off his foot like it was shot out of a cannon.

Buehler is 5 for 10 from 40-49 the last 2 years, and 0-0 from 50 or more LIFETIME. If you can't make a 45 yard FG better than 50 percent of the time YOU ARE NOT AN NFL KICKER, no matter what you do on kickoffs. Combine means jack shit compared to what he's actually done (or hasn't done) in game situations. Wasn't he kicking in a dome, also at the combine? Seriously, he's lucky he even got an invite.

If Gano isn't playing double duty as a punter AND a kicker in the NFL then his team is absolutely nuts. I can see it in his first year because teams will want to see what he's got at the NFL level, but by year 2, he will be a team's sole player for punts AND kickoffs, saving his team a roster spot. That is called value. Tell me when the last kicker came along who was the best in the country as a kicker and yet punts the ball equally as well as he kicks?

I agree that we need to address the WR position. But as i was piecing this mock together, I was uninspired by what would be available. There are a couple guys I like, but I like Sintim and Smith as the first 2 picks. Sintim would fit nicely in our scheme on D and Smith, while needs heavy polishing at S, could be our long term solution, he an Phillips.

I think the Giants will be able to pick up quality in the 2nd round. I truly feel that Britt and lauranitis will be available by the time we pick in the 2nd round and both will do nicely. Laurinitis's stock is dropping somewhat, which really isn't fair as he's taking it on the chin for Hawk and Carpenter playing like pussies, but this guy is more aggressive than they were and I feel he's going to be a much better pro.

VG, I like Sintim as a potential Giants pick, but in the first he is a reach. The Giants HAVE to go WR in round one. It is the biggest position of need on the team as not addressing the Plaxico hole would have a big detrimental effect going forward into the 2009 season.

I think there is a FAIR chance that Sintim could be around at 45. I think that the Giants could trade up in the first to grab their highest rated WR, but they will keep 45.

Safety is not as big as a concern as it was before CC Brown signed, and it is not a crucial position to put big dollars towards, because for one we already have a big time safety in Phillips, and secondly we've invested in the best defensive line in football. We should be able to put YOU at SS to stand back there and catch a couple of wobbly ducks. They might draft a safety, but I think they will do so in rounds 4 through 6. I see them going WR, LB, then a couple of picks on the Offensive Line.