SportsWrath

T.J. Houshmandzadeh No. 1 Target of Giants

BleedinBlue

"Wideout T.J. Houshmandzadeh of the Bengals is the top free agent on the New York Giants' wish list, according to The Sporting News. The NFL's free agency period begins Friday, when teams will start combing the market for players essential to their 2009 season. While Houshmandzadeh is a reliable receiver, TSN noted, "there is no way to find a comparable replacement to Plaxico Burress, as 6-5 receivers with speed and a huge wingspan are almost impossible to find. Burress faces a serious legal battle and possible jail time as a result of illegal gun charges." Houshmandzadeh also is reportedly coveted by the Eagles, Ravens, Titans, 49ers, Dolphins and Seahawks." ....Cincinnati Enquirer

My personal opinion is that this would be a great acquisition....not as a replacement for Plax, but as a replacement for Toomer. I'm psyched that the Giants are in pursuit.

Crap article. How would a Cincy paper know what the Giants are thinking? Since when has Reese or TC ever let anything regarding FA and the draft slip? never. How many more teams can they possibly list that are interested in TJ? Do they take any consideration for how much $$ he's going to get, and that we will not pay what he wants? Bob Papa has come out and said he doubts the Giants will be active in FA for a WR, and that they believe in their young WR core and will change the gameplan to compensate.

On top of that, TJ doesn't fit at all. We already have WRs in this mold... Smith & Moss. We need a WR to stretch the field. TJ doesn't do this. He's not a true #1 WR, he's a possession WR. He's also old as all hell.

Garbage fluff piece. Nothing else.

Crap article. How would a Cincy paper know what the Giants are thinking? Since when has Reese or TC ever let anything regarding FA and the draft slip? never. How many more teams can they possibly list that are interested in TJ? Do they take any consideration for how much $$ he's going to get, and that we will not pay what he wants? Bob Papa has come out and said he doubts the Giants will be active in FA for a WR, and that they believe in their young WR core and will change the gameplan to compensate.

On top of that, TJ doesn't fit at all. We already have WRs in this mold... Smith & Moss. We need a WR to stretch the field. TJ doesn't do this. He's not a true #1 WR, he's a possession WR. He's also old as all hell.

Garbage fluff piece. Nothing else.

Actually, the Cincinnati Enquirer qouted The Sporting News, so Cincinnati did not break the story, but only quoted outside sources in the local paper.

As I said....he's not a replacement for Plax nor is he a no.1 reciever that'll spread the field. There are precious few WR's in the country that can do that. T.J. runs perfect routes, has fly-paper hands, takes a beatin and keeps on tickin....rarely has he ever been hurt. He's like Toomer in Toomer's prime, but better. If he lands on the Giants' roster, you'll learn to love the guy after seeing him play.

Smith is Toomer's replacement and Hixon slides into Smith's 3rd receiver role.....with Manningham competing for time, as well. Burris' replacement has yet to be determined....but Housh doesn't fit that mold. Pass.

Smith is Toomer's replacement and Hixon slides into Smith's 3rd receiver role.....with Manningham competing for time, as well. Burris' replacement has yet to be determined....but Housh doesn't fit that mold. Pass.

Smith moving in as Toomer's replacement does not make us a better team. There is no question Houshmanzadeh is a much better football player than Smith. I would agree that we need to be cautious with the kind of deal we would give TJ. He will play next season at 32 (only 3 years younger than Toomer) and is coming off of a 5 year low in yards, ypr, and touchdowns. I believe he can still get it done but I wouldn't give him more than a 3 year deal and I WOULDN'T get into a bidding war for his services. He wants to play in Philadelphia, so we'll see what happens with that.

If we do get him, the WR makeover is not complete until we draft Kenny Britt! :P

I don't know, Papa said that it looks like we'll sit out major FA moves and keep with Moss, Manningham, and Hixon...that would be disturbing. We need something and I don't know why anyone thinks Plax will be back...he'll go to jail, we'll not be seeing him again. Nice job, the one shot you had wound up in your leg...#17 you are a douche.

We need speed and size if you ask me. SMith is slow, Hixon can't catch and Manningham is a ghost.

I like Smith a lot....but if Toomer and Plax are not on the team this year, he'll be hammered by the defense. Hixon shows flashes, but seems to have memory lapses at times and isn't consistent. I think Hixon will be a good one with a year or two under his belt, but he's not there yet. Manningham did great in the college game, but he hasn't shown us he's a full time NFL reciever.

In my opinion....our WR position is pretty weak....young and unproven. Smith is a good one, but he can't carry the team on his back. We not only need a quality, experienced possession reciever, but we also need a big, fast guy who can be a reliable deep threat that draws double coverage. We will draft a WR and probably early on.....but rookies almost always take a couple years to get up to NFL speed, if for no other than the QB getting in tune with the guy. Plus, in college they have to learn 4 or 5 routes.....in the NFL, there'll be 40 routes and each one has to be run with crisp, clean precision, and timed almost perfectly.

T.J. would be a reliable target and a huge blessing for Eli this coming season as the rookies and newbies (expecially the one we burn a high draft pick on) get up to speed.

I don't know, Papa said that it looks like we'll sit out major FA moves and keep with Moss, Manningham, and Hixon...that would be disturbing. We need something and I don't know why anyone thinks Plax will be back...he'll go to jail, we'll not be seeing him again. Nice job, the one shot you had wound up in your leg...#17 you are a douche.

We need speed and size if you ask me. SMith is slow, Hixon can't catch and Manningham is a ghost.

I agree with everything you said... but from what I have read of Reese and Coughlin, if you read between the lines a little, they know they have to do something to re-make this WR corps. The problem is that alternative top-flight WR's didn't make it to the market like Antonio Bryant because of being franchised. There's really nothing out there at Houshmanzadeh's level besides TJ. It might be a blessing in disguise if we miss out on TJ because the price gets too high, because I think we might be better off going with a high upside guy like Koren Robinson and then drafting a WR in the first (Britt, please). As a side note I haven't mentioned Marvin Harrison because I believe he's washed up, but it would be interesting to know what Peyton is telling Eli about him, you know that conversation HAS to happen.

Other names in the free agent WR market:

Marty Booker------------(Bears)

Drew Carter-------------(Raiders)

Michael Clayton----------(Bucs)

Keary Colbert-----------(Lions)

Bobby Engram----------(Seahawks)

Mike Furrey--------------(Lions)

Jabar Gaffney-----------(Patriots)

Devery Henderson------(Saints)

Darrell Jackson----------(Broncos)

Bryant Johnson----------(49ers)

Brandon Jones-----------(Titans)

Ashlie Lelie--------------(Raiders)

Brandon Lloyd-----------(Bears)

Dane Looker-------------(Rams)

Justin McCareins--------(Titans)

Jerry Porter--------------(Jaguars)

Kelley Washington------(Patriots)

Nate Washington--------(Steelers)

Reggie Williams---------(Jaguars)

Ah geez here we go. One high-profile drop and it's a habit, just like with Shockey.

I agree with everything you said... but from what I have read of Reese and Coughlin, if you read between the lines a little, they know they have to do something to re-make this WR corps. The problem is that alternative top-flight WR's didn't make it to the market like Antonio Bryant because of being franchised. There's really nothing out there at Houshmanzadeh's level besides TJ. It might be a blessing in disguise if we miss out on TJ because the price gets too high, because I think we might be better off going with a high upside guy like Koren Robinson and then drafting a WR in the first (Britt, please). As a side note I haven't mentioned Marvin Harrison because I believe he's washed up, but it would be interesting to know what Peyton is telling Eli about him, you know that conversation HAS to happen.

Other names in the free agent WR market:

Marty Booker------------(Bears)

Drew Carter-------------(Raiders)

Michael Clayton----------(Bucs)

Keary Colbert-----------(Lions)

Bobby Engram----------(Seahawks)

Mike Furrey--------------(Lions)

Jabar Gaffney-----------(Patriots)

Devery Henderson------(Saints)

Darrell Jackson----------(Broncos)

Bryant Johnson----------(49ers)

Brandon Jones-----------(Titans)

Ashlie Lelie--------------(Raiders)

Brandon Lloyd-----------(Bears)

Dane Looker-------------(Rams)

Justin McCareins--------(Titans)

Jerry Porter--------------(Jaguars)

Kelley Washington------(Patriots)

Nate Washington--------(Steelers)

Reggie Williams---------(Jaguars)

Kelley Washington and MAYBE...Devery Henderson stick out on that list. Thats it. I'd rather have Housh if Plax aint comin' back.

Doing quick player card searches on that list, Bryant Johnson is 6-3, 210, is 28 years old, and could be a cheaper alternative to Houshmanzadeh, who also might flourish with the kind of opportunity he'd get with us.

Another guy who I would place in the same category is Drew Carter, who is a carbon copy of Johnson but 10 lbs lighter, and is the same age.

Reggie Williams has prototypical size at 6-4, 212, but I don't have as good a feeling of him as I would Johnson, Carter, or Koren Robinson.

Kelley Washington and MAYBE...Devery Henderson stick out on that list. Thats it. I'd rather have Housh if Plax aint comin' back.

Come on BigBlue, Devery Henderson and Kelley Washington? I know some people on here like Washington, and he is intriguing, but you have to look a little deeper, because there are some decent WR's there, but no blue chips, which Washington and Henderson aren't either, anyway. But my point was that there really isn't the "can't miss" kind of guy on the market after Houshmanzadeh, so we may NEED to go to one of those lesser guys.

I guess at this point you have to sit back, take a deep breath, and say... "In Reese I trust."

By the looks of it none of those WRs can come in a take the #1 WR place.

It looks like that Cusing(sp) kid is going to be gone before he drops to 29, so if Plax is doing jail time/suspended I think we will be taken that Britt guy. If both of them are gone....then Reese better start working his magic after the draft.

We are doomed if we feel the only way to be successful is to replace Plax's wing span. We need talent in the receiver corps, whether it be TJ or Boldin. We also need Eli and the coaches to be able to change his game and hit slant passes and timing patterns- play to the strenghths of the receivers and against the coverage. We already have height with Boss.

We are doomed if we feel the only way to be successful is to replace Plax's wing span. We need talent in the receiver corps, whether it be TJ or Boldin. We also need Eli and the coaches to be able to change his game and hit slant passes and timing patterns- play to the strenghths of the receivers and against the coverage. We already have height with Boss.

Blu, I think we need talent in the receiver corps, and Boss has height, but he isn't the deep threat we need to go along with that. We need another Plaxico, imo, and the only way I think we'll get one is out of the draft (although a trade is possible)... hopefully that guy can come in and be a difference maker year one.

My personal opinion is that this would be a great acquisition....not as a replacement for Plax, but as a replacement for Toomer. I'm psyched that the Giants are in pursuit.

You'll be paying a guy top receiver money to come in and replace your number 2 receiver, that doesn't make sense. Why not just give Toomer the money and throw the ball to him since that's the way you'll keep him happy.

The team needs a deep threat, this offense needs someone to stretch the defense, Plaxico does this and needs to be replaced with someone similar if he's not coming back.

As far as I'm concerned Smith surpassed Toomer last season in terms of importance because defenses were looking to shut him down, and that did affect our offense because he's our safety valve on third and long.

Actually, the Cincinnati Enquirer qouted The Sporting News, so Cincinnati did not break the story, but only quoted outside sources in the local paper.

As I said....he's not a replacement for Plax nor is he a no.1 reciever that'll spread the field. There are precious few WR's in the country that can do that. T.J. runs perfect routes, has fly-paper hands, takes a beatin and keeps on tickin....rarely has he ever been hurt. He's like Toomer in Toomer's prime, but better. If he lands on the Giants' roster, you'll learn to love the guy after seeing him play.

I agree.

Devery Henderson is far younger and has far more upside than TJ Houshmanzadeh.

We'll be complaining in less than a year that TJ has "lost a step" if we sign him.

Pass.

sure its irrelevant- who wants to win another super bowl anyways?

and try to be civil, jimmy.

Sorry, blu. I suppose it was snippy. But my point is that the Steelers were successful in their season and in the SuperBowl because of running and defense, with the threat of a pass. We don't have any Santonio Holmes or Hines Ward on our roster either! They also have a guy that might be there best WR soon, Limas Sweed, 6'4". And the team that nearly beat them and nearly stole the victory was mainly due to 6'3" Fitzgerald.

Last year Plaxico played a big role. I'm not saying height is the end all be all, but it doesn't hurt. When you look at the majority of the top WR's that teams really fear, they are 6'3" and above. Randy Moss, T.O., Fitzgerald, Plaxico, Brandon Marshall, Andre Johnson. These are the elite WR's, and I think Eli needs someone like that.