SportsWrath

Is Plax a Giant next year?

Mr. P

not whether you want him to come back, whether you think he will be back.

my opinion on it is changing by the day, yesterday i was thinkin there was a good chance he returns but after hearing coughlins comments im thinking hes probably not going to come back.

plus its messing me up with my madden offseason, dont know whether to play with or without him, irritating.

Goodell isn't going to do anything to Plax. The Giants already punished him severely and if he is playing next year, that means that he has dealt with his legal situation. Really, Plax has already paid his dues for his error NFL-wise. It's just the law he has to answer to now. What Plax did was incredibly stupid, but doesn't merit further suspension, IMO, I think Goodell will agree with me on that.

T.O. will not be a NY Giant no matter how desperate the Giants get for a WR. Take that one to the bank. There is no way Coughlin would accept someone like that, and even if he would there is absolutely NO WAY IN HELL that John Mara and Steve Tisch would allow someone like T.O. to represent the organization.

It's not about accepting someone with personal problems with T.O. It's about not bringing a me-first personality in the lockerroom that will embarrass the organization, who will undoubtedly be a media circus in the media capital of the world, and will challenge the Giants run-oriented offense and Eli.

My guess is that if Plax's legal matters are resolved, he'll play next year as a Giant, and if they are not, he will not play.

The Giants need to approach the offseason as if they won't have him. They need to look for a good WR in free agency if possible AND draft a high-upside, big target WR in this draft. If Plax comes back, then our biggest weakness currently could become a strength. But even if he does come back, the Giants need to have a good fall back in case he does something incredibly stupid again that causes him to miss more games, or be cut from the team altogether.

Goodell isn't going to do anything to Plax. The Giants already punished him severely and if he is playing next year, that means that he has dealt with his legal situation. Really, Plax has already paid his dues for his error NFL-wise. It's just the law he has to answer to now. What Plax did was incredibly stupid, but doesn't merit further suspension, IMO, I think Goodell will agree with me on that.

T.O. will not be a NY Giant no matter how desperate the Giants get for a WR. Take that one to the bank. There is no way Coughlin would accept someone like that, and even if he would there is absolutely NO WAY IN HELL that John Mara and Steve Tisch would allow someone like T.O. to represent the organization.

It's not about accepting someone with personal problems with T.O. It's about not bringing a me-first personality in the lockerroom that will embarrass the organization, who will undoubtedly be a media circus in the media capital of the world, and will challenge the Giants run-oriented offense and Eli.

My guess is that if Plax's legal matters are resolved, he'll play next year as a Giant, and if they are not, he will not play.

The Giants need to approach the offseason as if they won't have him. They need to look for a good WR in free agency if possible AND draft a high-upside, big target WR in this draft. If Plax comes back, then our biggest weakness currently could become a strength. But even if he does come back, the Giants need to have a good fall back in case he does something incredibly stupid again that causes him to miss more games, or be cut from the team altogether.

I beg to differ....

Why? I think the punishment doled out by the Giants was pretty severe, you think he's going to go farther? And you think further punishment will fit the crime?

Can you argue this logically?

I argue that because look who we are dealing with... Goodell is a nazi when it comes to handing out suspensions. He will not just let a player who disgraced his national football league to just take the field again immediately. The media would have a field day. When it comes to teams suspending their players I do not think it makes an ounce of difference in a comissioners decision to drop his own punishment on what he feels fits the crime. If he did nothing he would appear in the eyes of many to be turning a blind eye to the situation and ignoring its very existence.

I argue that because look who we are dealing with... Goodell is a nazi when it comes to handing out suspensions. He will not just let a player who disgraced his national football league to just take the field again immediately. The media would have a field day. When it comes to teams suspending their players I do not think it makes an ounce of difference in a comissioners decision to drop his own punishment on what he feels fits the crime. If he did nothing he would appear in the eyes of many to be turning a blind eye to the situation and ignoring its very existence.

To that I completely disagree. I think Goodell has been fair with personnel, and has considered team punishments in the past. The media would not have a field day, as Plax has already been severely punished... so much so that the player's union filed a grievance. Goodell would also have to answer to the player's union should he decide to pile on. Burress doesn't have a history of lawlessness. I doubt he will consider missed team meetings and showing up late to practice in the past. Those are team matters. Goodell is more about protecting the league's image in the face of criminal activity. The folks he has suspended were guilty of worse crimes and have a history of criminal behavior, with the exception of Matt Jones, who was suspended for three games. Plaxico has already served a suspension of at least 5 games and one would argue that it would have been 6 anyway if he hadn't been hurt and unable to play in the game immediately following the shooting. When you are talking 5 games without pay for a first time offense, I don't think Goodell goes any farther.

He does not have to ignore the issue, but rather can just release a statement saying the Giants' punishment was appropriate and he feels no further suspension is warranted. Undoubtedly he will have a meeting with a remorseful Burress as well.

Goodell is no Nazi. As I said, he has been fair in his punishments and has shown leniency at times. He has been thoughtful and measured in his responses to player misconduct.

All that said, this whole conversation is probably moot because it will be EXTREMELY difficult for Plaxico to avoid significant time in an upstate NY correctional facility. The charges Plaxico are facing are usually not pled down, and will be especially difficult to do so given the facts of his case. Burress is in a lot of trouble and we should just prepare ourselves that he will probably never play in a Giant uniform again.

Plax will still hear from the league, that's happening. Plax is probably (as stated above) out of football next season, then we'll part with him. He's done as a Giant unless he's totally unpunished and untouched by all parties, but that's an outrageous long-shot.

I think we're hunting for a lot of WR talent this season. Toomer is total crap and his lack of speed is becoming a problem. Smith is good in the slot, but we rely on that too often. OUr TE's are good; need more looks at Darcy as a receiver. Hixon is not a #1 and that's clear. What do we have in Manningham, I don not know yet.

The big threat that is Plax is now part of our past. Coughling doesn't like him, Plax doesn't conform, and now he's been a huge distraction just after getting a new contract. Hell, he only played like he cared in our first game of the season.

I wish this was a perfect world with him returning, but he's not. Wishing otherwise is a waste. He is done and I'd be surprised if he got picked up by any good team. Maybe he could be a Raider?

agreed on pretty much every account. plax was suspended more than enough and prob more than his infraction deserved. i still maintain we should've suspende dim the rest of th regular season and activated him for the playoffs--2 weeks would've been plenty of time to shake off the rust and we'd probably be playing this week if we had. like i've said many times, i care way more about winning than proving a poitn to everyone that we're just this oh so classy franchise. fuck that bullshit, win superbowls.

It's not about accepting someone with personal problems with T.O. It's about not bringing a me-first personality in the lockerroom that will embarrass the organization

hello? perhaps you haven't met plaxico burress- the man who had 50 team violations before getting suspended for missing practice while taking his 1 year old to school. this was before the glokinthighgate.

I think if he can't play next year, he's definitely gone: why take the cap hit and have to get another WR?

Trial postponements don't work in his favor; the team needs to know how to proceed at least before the draft.

That's not even considering whether or not Coughlin and the rest of the team want him back: I realize the players are saying the sugar and flowers thing in the media, but how do they feel behind closed doors about a player who screwed up the season and put two other player's careers (Pierce and Bradshaw) at risk? That's a lot to ask for from your teammates.

hello? perhaps you haven't met plaxico burress- the man who had 50 team violations before getting suspended for missing practice while taking his 1 year old to school. this was before the glokinthighgate.

Yes blunatic, and none of those 50 or so team violations embarrassed the franchise because it was kept in-house... until they made it public. Plus I'm not defending Plax, anyway. The Giants have dealt with him pretty severely to protect their image and integrity. You think they want to go from Plax to T.O.?

That's a far cry from a ego-maniac receiver screaming at his QB and coach on the sidelines anyway, and questioning both plus the offensive coordinator publicly every week. T.O. will never be a Giant, and anyone who thinks that would even be a good idea is crazy.

Yes blunatic, and none of those 50 or so team violations embarrassed the franchise because it was kept in-house... until they made it public. Plus I'm not defending Plax, anyway. The Giants have dealt with him pretty severely to protect their image and integrity. You think they want to go from Plax to T.O.?

That's a far cry from a ego-maniac receiver screaming at his QB and coach on the sidelines anyway, and questioning both plus the offensive coordinator publicly every week. T.O. will never be a Giant, and anyone who thinks that would even be a good idea is crazy.

it's like a choice between lung cancer or heart disease, i prefer neither. as i said before, the diva WR is passe.

Even though I loved Manny, I mean Plax, and the team definitely missed Manny, I mean Plax, there are way too many reasons that I can think of why he won't be coming back.

1.) They suspended him without pay, and you know Plax would always hold that against them to some degree, no matter how rational their decision was. That's just the way Plax thinks.

2.) What are the odds that Plax turns into a model citizen after this? 50/50 maybe?

3.) While they were smart to suspend him and, in essence, take care of Goodell's work for him, I'm sure he still will be suspended by the league for some length of time (I would think four games, minimum), and they can't afford to start next year without a big play threat at WR.

4.) He may have to serve prison time.

5.) There are good options at the WR position available this offseason.

He needs to go. He's just too risky to take a chance on at this point.