SportsWrath

Things look good for the team, BUT....

BleedinBlue

I like to think of myself as an eternal optimist when it comes to the teams I root for, but I have one giant concern among our gifted Giants team. Kicker!

I always thought Tynes was a weak link in the team, but Huston doesn't make me feel any fuzzier. Watching Phil Dawson nail a 56 yard field goal, followed by Huston's shanked attempt at a 42 yarder makes me cringe.

Feagles is fine.....but we definitely need a kicker who can make field goals in the 40 yd and under category in their sleep and boot the occassional long field goal. I should not have to hold my breath when our team is kicking the extra point, but with Tynes or Huston, I am never comfortable.

I think "kicker" is the achilles heel of this team and should be the number 1 priority in getting fixed.

Like it or not, we have 5 more years of Tynes. Could be worse Bleedin, we could have drafted Mike

Nugent in the 2nd round of the 2005 draft and he can't even make 23 yard field goals in preseason.

Matt Bryant was definitely money before his(read: Trey Junkin and Matt Allen's) melt down. I couldn't believe we got rid of him, but it seems we are notorious for letting decent kickers go after they fuck up, look at Jay Feely, career 81% kicker.

Coughlin hated Feely as he was one of the lockeroom politicians.

Matt Bryant was no 62 yard kcker at the Meadowlands.

Lawrence Tynes was 23-27 last year for an 85.2% average. Oh by the way, he was 8-8 between 40-49 yards.

Guy is also 6-11 career over 50.

He aint as bad as you all want to make him out to be and he hit the biggest kick this team has had since Matt Bahr in 1990. <_<

Most fans just didn't like his kickoffs, field goal range. Sure the snap debacle in 2002 didn't help. Ultimately he got let go after Coughlin came onboard and Bryant was banged up in training camp.

Didn't have that warm n' fuzzy feeling when Tynes started but once we got the snap/hold down; Tynes started nailing his kicks.

I think Huston should have won out last year but it worked out well for us. Have no problem with him kicking for us during the season should something happen to Tynes.

Lawrence Tynes was 23-27 last year for an 85.2% average. Oh by the way, he was 8-8 between 40-49 yards.

He aint as bad as you all want to make him out to be and he hit the biggest kick this team has had since Matt Bahr in 1990. <_<

no one ganne be a 62 yard boom kicker in the medows.

He also missed three extra points this year. Yes... EXTRA POINTS. The kick my grandma can make.

Matt Bryant was definitely money before his(read: Trey Junkin and Matt Allen's) melt down. I couldn't believe we got rid of him, but it seems we are notorious for letting decent kickers go after they fuck up, look at Jay Feely, career 81% kicker.

C'mon dude, enough with Feeley, Tynes bested his FG % you always bring up. Plus he was just released again. Kickers as good as you claim he was don't keep getting let go.

Tynes is a heart murmer every time he comes on the field, and I was SHOCKED he got a 5 year extension, basically off 1 kick. Kicking is a dying breed, there are no more gary Andersons, Morton Andersen's, etc.

Tynes' problem isn't distance, it's shanking the short ones. I can deal with a shanked 31 yarder in the first if he can make the 46 yarder in the second half. But as long as he's a Giant, no doubt he'll be making us sweat for years.

C'mon dude, enough with Feeley, Tynes bested his FG % you always bring up. Plus he was just released again. Kickers as good as you claim he was don't keep getting let go.

Tynes is a heart murmer every time he comes on the field, and I was SHOCKED he got a 5 year extension, basically off 1 kick. Kicking is a dying breed, there are no more gary Andersons, Morton Andersen's, etc.

Tynes' problem isn't distance, it's shanking the short ones. I can deal with a shanked 31 yarder in the first if he can make the 46 yarder in the second half. But as long as he's a Giant, no doubt he'll be making us sweat for years.

Most kickers in the NFL are what you would call journeymen, like you said no Morten Andersen or Gary Andersen, so the getting let go thing really doesn't hold water. Feely missed some big kicks against the Seahawks and he got let go for it, it's as simple as that.

Nobody should use "tynes" and "hero" ever in the same sentence. Like VG said he inspires no confidence in me when he takes the field. The fact he kicked the winning field goal for us in the championship game should always be remembered for the fact that the reason he kicked that field goal because he missed 2 easier ones earlier on. And the fact he hit the longer just makes that fact even more annoying.

A good kicker is very important, more important nowadays. We have much better kick returners than we used to, and the new rules saying that possession starts where the field goal kick was missed is huge, it actually affects decisions on when you are in field goal range or not. IMO, Tynes is still not reliable and I'd have no problem replacing him.

If the kicker is our only chink in the armor, I wont complain.

Yeah exactly, i'm hearing complaints about our backup qb and kicker well holy shit i guess where gonna go 4-12 next year with no backup QB and a shitty kicker. Calm down folks we are in good shape if anything scares me its the health of our wideouts, i know Tynes is shit yeah he hit the game winner in the NFC title game but if it wasn't for him in the first place that game never goes to OT we literally beat the hell out of GB in their own enviroment, shows you how good we are that Tynes misses two field goals and we still win.

Yeah exactly, i'm hearing complaints about our backup qb and kicker well holy shit i guess where gonna go 4-12 next year with no backup QB and a shitty kicker. Calm down folks we are in good shape if anything scares me its the health of our wideouts, i know Tynes is shit yeah he hit the game winner in the NFC title game but if it wasn't for him in the first place that game never goes to OT we literally beat the hell out of GB in their own enviroment, shows you how good we are that Tynes misses two field goals and we still win.

Umm, the health of your Super Bowl MVP quarterback should be a pretty big worry when there's no one behind him that could lead a team for 4 quarters let alone 4 games or however long it would take if Eli were to get hurt. Cmon man. No ones as worried about WR because we actually have depth there, not to mention none of their injuries is going to keep them out of the regular season.

If the kicker is our only chink in the armor, I wont complain.

The first time we lose a game because of a missed extra point or a missed chip shot field goal....I guarantee you'll be complaining. We are in one very tough division and there will be plenty of close games this season. The end result will oftentimes come down to our ability to kick the ball between the goal posts. Nothing is more frustrating than losing a close game because the kicker couldn't get it done.

The first time we lose a game because of a missed extra point or a missed chip shot field goal....I guarantee you'll be complaining. We are in one very tough division and there will be plenty of close games this season. The end result will oftentimes come down to our ability to kick the ball between the goal posts. Nothing is more frustrating than losing a close game because the kicker couldn't get it done.

Superbowl 25: Buffalo Bills 22 - New York Giants 20. MVP : Thurman Thomas..