SportsWrath

I know I'm a little late to the game, but...

Sephiroth

I just got my Giants "Road to XLII" dvd set... I'm so stoked! I'm watching the Giants beat Green Bay right now! :cheers:

"Lawrence Tynes has JUST kicked the Giants to the Superbowl!"

I've got ALL of the Sports Illustrateds of the three SB wins. All 'sealed'.

I never understood this sealed idea. You can make exact copies and watch them instead.

I dunno, I just wanted to keep one to put away thats never been opened. I know what you're saying and it makes sense, just something I felt like doing.

I kept my official Mike Vick Doggie Chew Toy sealed. That sucker is going to be worth a fortune some day. or not.

Collectors love the whole mint condition thing though. About 5 years ago I was cleaning a crawl space at my parents and found all my old matchbox cars. Found out they would have been worth a fortune if I still had the boxes that they came in. Of course when I was six I wasn't thinking about that.

I dunno, I just wanted to keep one to put away thats never been opened. I know what you're saying and it makes sense, just something I felt like doing.

there'll eventually be a day when there will be autograph sessions for the 07 giants team. you can get it signed by them

haha then you never collected comic books before...

Comics are all supply and demand. Books from the 70's and earlier are worth money cuz only 100,000 or so would be printed, and most were discarded after they were read. Books from the 80's and later aren't worth anything because millions were printed, and everyone holds on to them. The "Death of Superman" book that "lists" for 20 bucks can't be sold to any shop, because they already have 30 copies of it that they can't sell.

Who knows with DvDs. Maybe they'll be worth something, maybe not.

But in either event, right now I'm watching the Giants beat Dallas. Seriously, this rules. :freaked:

I kept my official Mike Vick Doggie Chew Toy sealed. That sucker is going to be worth a fortune some day. or not.

Collectors love the whole mint condition thing though. About 5 years ago I was cleaning a crawl space at my parents and found all my old matchbox cars. Found out they would have been worth a fortune if I still had the boxes that they came in. Of course when I was six I wasn't thinking about that.

This is the thing, very few people were which is what makes them valuable. Today's collectors won't see that kind of return, especially on comics where the print runs are way bigger and every reader keeps them bagged and safe. They'll never be rare.

EDIT: I see Seph just said the same thing.

Comics are all supply and demand. Books from the 70's and earlier are worth money cuz only 100,000 or so would be printed, and most were discarded after they were read. Books from the 80's and later aren't worth anything because millions were printed, and everyone holds on to them. The "Death of Superman" book that "lists" for 20 bucks can't be sold to any shop, because they already have 30 copies of it that they can't sell.

But in either event, right now I'm watching the Giants beat Dallas. Seriously, this rules. :freaked:

Exactly why collecting now is almost useless. The reason that really old stuff is worth something is because nobody collected anything so they are rare. Back in the day cards were put in bike spokes to make loud sounds so mint condition cards can be very rare. I just don't see the whole keeping something sealed and not enjoying it.

You are correct on the comics spiel there Bro....I have quite a few Marvels from the 70's in very good and/or mint condition. But I stopped seriously collecting just before the Marvel Secret Wars cycle as it was just a stunt to sell underselling titles that maybe 5 pimple faces would read. I got them because I loved the story line. Then came Valiant, Dark Horse and a couple of other marks who along with Marvel and D/C started that whole silver foil editon; edition #0; and other gimmicky horseshit that sucked in a lot of kids and investors.

The comics market from 88-92 was one giant speculative bubble that had to crash based on what people were doing. That is why during my several moves all of the garbage from that era was unloaded by me. Either I sold it in lots or just boxed it up for the sanitation man. Thousands of dollars up the bloody fucking spout. But at least I figured out the game before it crashed as was able to recover a lot of lost profits.

I also blacklisted stores to kids that would not buy back the extra expensive shit they peddled to kids. I would tell them only buy from places where you can trade the shit in at least. Lastly I told them if you are going to collect; pick a maximum of 3 titles that you really like to read and enjoy the characters; because it probably won't be worth shit 10 or even 20 years down the line because of the over production.

That being said I will buy the DVD during the upcoming season.

I guess it's the same deal with baseball cards. I collected in the late 80's/early 90's. You had your basic Topps, upperdeck, Bowman, Score etc. Sometimes for shits and giggles I'll buy a pack or two if I see them. Bought a price guid once and it blew me away, every company has about 50 variations or inserts or whatever. That started as i grew out of collecting, but today it's unreal.

I got mine a while ago but still have not opened it.

I got two.. lol. I've watched the DVD more than 6 times.. then I wanted to watch it today but I realized I gave my PS2 (DVD player) to my nephew..

Watch it thru your computer. Do ya have a DvD drive in your PC?

True.. I didn't think about that.. although i like watching it while sitting on the couch with 32" wide screen.. HD.. instead of a 20" widescreen monitor. Thanks for the heads up though.

True.. I didn't think about that.. although i like watching it while sitting on the couch with 32" wide screen.. HD.. instead of a 20" widescreen monitor. Thanks for the heads up though.

I ordered "Americas Game the 1990 NY Giants" as told by Otis Anderson and Jeff Hostettler. Ordered it thru Itunes. I can watch that on my iPod, computer and thru my big screen TV. I cannot wait for 'Americas Game the 2007 Giants' as told by Antonio Pierce and Michael Strahan.

I had a friend at my last job who is a fanatic baseball freak and was once into baseball cards and wanted to get back into it. I took him to these guys on William St.....near Water Street. Well these guys have a nice selection on their little table. Complete with little plastic boxes of the "real gems" and wonderful silver foil cards of everyone from the batboy to the MVP of the league. And like you said....not a one worth JACK SHIT and most definitely not for the prices they are asking for. I finally persuaded him to give it up. And go stare at one of his oldie cards that are actually worth something.

I had a friend at my last job who is a fanatic baseball freak and was once into baseball cards and wanted to get back into it. I took him to these guys on William St.....near Water Street. Well these guys have a nice selection on their little table. Complete with little plastic boxes of the "real gems" and wonderful silver foil cards of everyone from the batboy to the MVP of the league. And like you said....not a one worth JACK SHIT and most definitely not for the prices they are asking for. I finally persuaded him to give it up. And go stare at one of his oldie cards that are actually worth something.

The only cards I buy these days, and it's very rare, but if I'm at the mall and they have tables set up, I'll look for Rangers cards, especially Nolan Ryan. I have most of the Ryan cards made from 70's. My dream was once to own every single Nolan Ryan card eve made, but gave that up when they started coming out with 30 subsets for every company.

But I like getting cards of my teams, I bought Arods rookie card when we signed him, I have Blalocks, Teixeira's, etc. Eli, Shockey. But like Midas said, they make so many of them, even if Arod breaks the hr record that card will never be worth what 1956 checklist is worth.

I have the 19-Denied Super Bowl t-shirt vacuumed sealed in the original plastic, which was being sold for about 2 hours and pulled off the internet. I know of a few that bought it but was never shipped and refunded. Only around 100 of these shirts were actually shipped out.

I have the 19-Denied Super Bowl t-shirt vacuumed sealed in the original plastic, which was being sold for about 2 hours and pulled off the internet. I know of a few that bought it but was never shipped and refunded. Only around 100 of these shirts were actually shipped out.

I havn't opened the Strahan super bowl replica jersey yet, not because I think it will be worth anything, but it's too small. I work with a Cowboys fan and every year we make a bet on Giants/Cowboys games. Loser has to wear opposing teams garment. Hat, jersey, whatever. I think thats where I'll get value out of the Strahan jersey. Provided we win.