SportsWrath

Tuck and Giants agree to extension!

jranieli

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2008/01/n...in_tuck_ag.html

New York Giants, Justin Tuck agree on 5-year, $30M contract

by Mike Garafolo

Thursday January 17, 2008, 10:17 PM

The Giants and defensive end Justin Tuck have agreed to terms on a five-year, $30-million contract that includes $16 million in guaranteed money, according to two people with knowledge of the contract details. The people requested anonymity because the deal isn't expected to be finalized and signed until today -- two days before the Giants face the Packers in the NFC Championship Game.

Neither Tuck's agent Doug Hendrickson nor Giants general manager Jerry Reese could be reached for comment.

The 24-year-old Tuck, selected in the third round of the 2005 draft after he had a school-record 24½ career sacks at Notre Dame, had 10 sacks this past regular season despite not being a starter. He rotated throughout games at left and right end with starters Michael Strahan and Osi Umenyiora then moved inside to play tackle in obvious passing situations.

Tuck's versatility has earned him playing time on a defensive line that has been stacked with a host of ends since the team drafted Mathias Kiwanuka in the first round in 2006. Kiwanuka moved to linebacker this season before breaking his fibula against the Lions in November.

The long-term commitment to Tuck would indicate the Giants are intent on making him a full-time starter in the future, with Kiwanuka possibly remaining at linebacker for the next few years. But it also sets up an interesting and possibly uncomfortable financial situation because Tuck is now making more than both Strahan and Umenyiora, who have been to a combined nine Pro Bowls.

Umenyiora signed a contract extension in December 2005 that included $15 million guaranteed -- a number that would have been much higher if he had waited a few more months for the league and the union to agree on a new collective bargaining agreement. Umenyiora fired his agent last year and hired Tony Agnone, who also represents Strahan. It was a strong indication he's looking to renegotiate his deal, which runs through the 2012 season.

Strahan's financial concerns have been well-documented. Last March, he asked the Giants to rework his contract, but they resisted. Strahan then flirted with retirement during training camp, as he pondered whether it was worth returning for another season at a $4-million salary. Strahan has one more year remaining on his contract -- also at $4 million. Strahan, who has a team-high 16 tackles and a sack in the postseason, can certainly make the case that he hasn't lost a step and might demand a raise once again.

The Giants have maintained over the past few years that "you can never have too many pass rushers." And in Tuck, they have that and more. They have a bullish, run-stopping player who is best suited to be Strahan's successor on the left side. That's where the end who's more adept at stopping the run plays because most offenses call most of their power runs to their right side.

Tuck has shown the power to play that spot many times. His latest display came Sunday against the Cowboys when he was being turned away from the hole by Pro Bowl center Andre Gurode. Tuck fought to turn Gurode and ripped his arm in front of the 316-pounder to make the tackle.

Thanks to his new deal, Tuck is ensured of the opportunity to keep making plays like that for many years. And he can also increase the budget for his April 12 wedding to longtime girlfriend Lauren Williamson in his home state of Alabama.

For more on Giants coverage, go to:

nj.com/giants

Great job Reese and well deserved for Tuck the kid's been another great DE for us.

the dog has no hidden agenda here...just curious, are you originally from canada, and if so, where does the average canadian stand with regards to the NFL and Canadian football league?

the dog has no hidden agenda here...just curious, are you originally from canada, and if so, where does the average canadian stand with regards to the NFL and Canadian football league?

Yes born and raised in Canada. As for the NFL and CFL I can not speak for the average Canadian. I guess I can say we have a "football" club here, there are about 25 of us and we all watch both the CFL and the NFL. We all meet at one guys house, he has a big flat screen TV where we watch which ever game we find the big game of the week. Unfortunately me being the only Giant fan there it's hard to get some Giant's games on that screen unless the other team is playing us. He does have another three TVs in the house where we watch other games too. We each have teams in both leagues me and about 7 others are Winnipeg Blue bombers fans(CFL team) while I already stated I'm the only Giants fan.

We sometimes do discuss the whole which is better the CFL or NFL but it always comes down to us agreeing that it doesnt matter since we all watch both leagues.

Anyways back on topic, nice extension our D line is even more set with this signing for years to come.

Yes born and raised in Canada. As for the NFL and CFL I can not speak for the average Canadian. I guess I can say we have a "football" club here, there are about 25 of us and we all watch both the CFL and the NFL. We all meet at one guys house, he has a big flat screen TV where we watch which ever game we find the big game of the week. Unfortunately me being the only Giant fan there it's hard to get some Giant's games on that screen unless the other team is playing us. He does have another three TVs in the house where we watch other games too. We each have teams in both leagues me and about 7 others are Winnipeg Blue bombers fans(CFL team) while I already stated I'm the only Giants fan.

We sometimes do discuss the whole which is better the CFL or NFL but it always comes down to us agreeing that it doesnt matter since we all watch both leagues.

Anyways back on topic, nice extension our D line is even more set with this signing for years to come.

How did you arrive at being a Giants fan? Is Winninpeg over by NY? Just curious.

Yes, this ROCKS! Tuck is the perfect replacement for Strahan, and I have confidence they'll find a way to keep Osi happay then we'll have the 2 best DE's in the game........AGAIN!

There's a lot of people who watch both, but quite a few who are mad CFL fans who only have passing interest in the NFL, or NFL fans who like but are not passionate about the CFL. It's a pretty even mix, at least in my experience.

I've yet to find a Canadian football fan who refuses to tell me which team he/she likes though.

How did you arrive at being a Giants fan? Is Winninpeg over by NY? Just curious.

I actually dont live near Winnipeg either but I have been to alot of CFL games, abit easier up here with family and all living near the stadiums. In all honesty I started watching the CFL and NFL around the same time, my dad is a big CFL fan and thats what first got me watching football. Since I can remember I've been watching CFL games with my dad and it wasn't to long before I was watching the NFL.

I don't know what to tell ya about how I found the Giants though. Some people have their favorite teams because their family pretty much forces them to be fans of the team :P Some people are fans of the team because they live in the area or have lived there in the past. I guess when I started watching the NFL when I was six I think hell it was along time ago I was just more inclined to watch the Giant's games whenever they were on. Pretty soon I started to learn everything I could about the team and I was able to catch LT play his final season with the Giants. I don't know I guess the team chooses you so to say.

P.S. I actually live in Ontario and I'm surprised I didn't end up a Vikes fan being right across the border from them :P Alot of Vik fans where I live....which wasn't the best thing this year.

I actually dont live near Winnipeg either but I have been to alot of CFL games, abit easier up here with family and all living near the stadiums. In all honesty I started watching the CFL and NFL around the same time, my dad is a big CFL fan and thats what first got me watching football. Since I can remember I've been watching CFL games with my dad and it wasn't to long before I was watching the NFL.

I don't know what to tell ya about how I found the Giants though. Some people have their favorite teams because their family pretty much forces them to be fans of the team :P Some people are fans of the team because they live in the area or have lived there in the past. I guess when I started watching the NFL when I was six I think hell it was along time ago I was just more inclined to watch the Giant's games whenever they were on. Pretty soon I started to learn everything I could about the team and I was able to catch LT play his final season with the Giants. I don't know I guess the team chooses you so to say.

Be very careful, my friend. I would estimate that 50% of this board believe he can only root for teams in the area in which you live. Anything else, and you are labeled the dreaded "bandwagon" fan.

Do not give out any personal information. They find you and they will tie you to the Toronto Arguanots' goal post and brand the letter "B" on your chest. Really...I have heard that it has happened...

Be very careful, my friend. I would estimate that 50% of this board believe he can only root for teams in the area in which you live. Anything else, and you are labeled the dreaded "bandwagon" fan.

Bullshit. No one's ever questioned my 'fanliness' and I grew up 14,000 miles from NY.

Do not give out any personal information. They find you and they will tie you to the Toronto Arguanots' goal post and brand the letter "B" on your chest. Really...I have heard that it has happened...

allow the dog to clarify for treehugger: the "bandwagon fan" accusations are only directed towards non-giant fans here...it is one of the unique unwritten policies here: if you are a fan of another team other then your hometwon team, you are a bandwagon fan...unless you are a giants fan, in which case you are applauded for recognizing how wonderful they are...

super...

allow the dog to clarify for treehugger: the "bandwagon fan" accusations are only directed towards non-giant fans here...it is one of the unique unwritten policies here: if you are a fan of another team other then your hometwon team, you are a bandwagon fan...unless you are a giants fan, in which case you are applauded for recognizing how wonderful they are...

super...

Again, bullshit. The people being ridiculed as bandwagon fans (which I've never seen for any posters here except ccase and his born-again Sainthood) are those who claim to be fans of a team while their stock is up but clearly have no knowledge of the organisation at all, such as who starting players are. Geographic location has little to do with it.

Again, bullshit. The people being ridiculed as bandwagon fans (which I've never seen for any posters here except ccase and his born-again Sainthood) are those who claim to be fans of a team while their stock is up but clearly have no knowledge of the organisation at all, such as who starting players are. Geographic location has little to do with it.

Oh you mean like my "friend" who thought KC are from Kansas and they wear Orange. :doh:

P.S. I actually live in Ontario and I'm surprised I didn't end up a Vikes fan being right across the border from them :P Alot of Vik fans where I live....which wasn't the best thing this year.

Are you in TB?

the dog couldn't agree more with you...but if you look back at past threads (should you have nothing better to do with your time, as it may be quite tedious to locate the specifics...), you will find a number of members here who are adament in the whole "you must be a fan of the team in the area in which you reside or group up in" philosophy....anything else makes you a bandwago fan...

According to Mike Garafolo's blog, the Tuck deal has been finalized.

If you see Justin Tuck without sleeves during Sunday's game, it's not because he can't afford them.

Tuck and the Giants officially finalized his five-year, $30-million contract extension today. The deal, which includes $16 million in guaranteed money, will last until the 2013 season. Tuck will get his signing bonus now, but his 2008 salary will remain $520,000.

"Yeah, I'm happy," he said today, "but let's not turn our focus on anything other than the Packers. It's good to get the deal done, but we'll celebrate that later. We've got a game to play."

Tuck was nonetheless relieved to have financial security.

"They're a top-notch organization and they like to keep their players here," Tuck said of the Giants, later adding: "Top-notch as far as keeping me out of (the negotiations) and letting me focus on football."

As for the sleeves, Tuck still says he's not wearing them -- no matter what the temperature will; be.

He might be rich now, but he might also be a little nuts, if you ask me. But what do I know? I'll be nestling a cup of hot cocoa in a heated press box by the third quarter.

In other words, Tuck will be earning every penny on Sunday.

MG

nice. Even better that it's an extension.

I love it. I thought Tuck was just another injury-prone player with "potential" until this year.

He sure looks like the real deal to me.

But who's "Justin" Tuck? I heard Aikman talk about a "Jason" Tuck last week....

Yeah, I heard that too.

Yes. My avatar is relevant for the next 6 years. SUCCESS!!!

I love the kid, he's a future pro bowler IMO.

LOL, I dunno if you meant it in the way i came accross to me, but I just had an image of Borat, "Great Success!"

Great job Reese, we shouldn't have to draft a DE for at least 1 whole year now. :rock: