SportsWrath

Strahan holdout ....and may retire !

UK-Giantsfan

The Italian Hotdog is more stunned by the fact that he has a "ton of televsion" offeres rather then the fact that he chose to retire...perhaps Brett Favre has laid down some of his own television opportunities for Strahan to have...

Giants' no-show Strahan mulling retirement

Associated Press, Updated 15 minutes ago

STORY TOOLS:

print

send

blog LIKE THIS STORY?

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) - Seven-time Pro Bowl defensive end Michael Strahan failed to report to the New York Giants training camp on Friday, and he is mulling retirement, his agent told the team.

"He is not here," Giants general manager Jerry Reese said after Strahan failed to report with veterans and rookies to the University at Albany. "Last night I talked to his agent (Tony Agnone) and his agent said to me at seven o'clock last night that he is contemplating retirement. That's all I know right now."

Neither Reese nor coach Tom Coughlin has been able to contact Strahan, although the 35-year-old who holds the NFL single-season record for sacks (22 1/2) left a message for Coughlin around 11:30 p.m. on Thursday night.

Coughlin did not see the message until Friday morning. He left a telephone message for Strahan, but it was not immediately returned.

"Obviously I am disappointed that he is not here," said Coughlin, who said that Strahan left no message other than to call him. "He is a very important part of our team as we have talked all along. We are just going to have to wait for more information.

Angone did not immediately return a telephone message left at his office by The Associated Press.

Strahan, whose 132 1/2 sacks are tops among active players, was not immediately available for comment.

The Giants placed Strahan on their reserve-did not report to camp list, Reese said, adding that Agnone did not say why Strahan was considering retirement.

Neither Coughlin nor Reese would say whether Strahan would be fined for missing camp until they spoke with him.

Coughlin hoped the incident would not distract the team with its first practices scheduled for Saturday.

"We've had enough of those," Coughlin said of distractions which plagued the Giants during an 8-8 campaign in 2006. "At least we've dealt with it. Put it that way."

There have been recent reports that Strahan, who was scheduled to make $4 million this season, was going to hold out because he felt he was being underpaid.

However, many felt that Strahan was looking for more money after losing a bitter divorce this past summer to his former wife, Jean. She was awarded $15.3 million along with child support for their twin daughters at $18,000 a month.

Agnone did not talk about renegotiating Strahan's contract with Reese, who added that Strahan might be tired after 14 seasons.

"I thought it was a little bit of a late notice but that's the way the National Football League works some times," Reese said. "I just told him (Agnone) that if he's ready to retire we wish him God's speed. Tony said he might wake up in the morning and say 'I want to play."'

Strahan, who missed half of last season with a foot injury, took part in the Giants offseason training program and minicamp.

advertisement

STORY TOOLS:

print

send

blog LIKE THIS STORY?

Despite his second major injury in three years, Strahan believed then that he was the NFL's best defensive end.

"I can still pop on the film and show you I am still the best at what I do," Strahan said in June. "I mean that's my opinion."

If Strahan does retire, the Giants may consider moving second-year pro Mathias Kiwanuka back to defensive end. He played well there last year as a rookie but the Giants moved the first-round draft choice to strongside linebacker in April in an attempt to get him more playing time.

Reese said the team will have to move on if Strahan walks away.

"I think he is a Hall of Fame football player, so obviously it's a big void," Reese said. "But we don't know anything yet. When we talk to him and get more information you'll know."

He just paid $15 million to his ex-wife in the divorce and owes $18,000 a month for child support. I don't think there is any way he can afford to retire. I think he is just trying to get more money.
The judge that awarded $18.000 per month for the support of 2 children is, imo, a total asshole and completely out of touch with real life expenses. I wonder if he receives a quiet monthly stipend from the mother or her attorney. :furious:

The judge that awarded $18.000 per month for the support of 2 children is, imo, a total asshole and completely out of touch with real life expenses. I wonder if he receives a quiet monthly stipend from the mother or her attorney. :furious:

That is some major bullshit.

Updated Blog

Over my years on the beat, I haven't believed a lot of what has come out of Michael Strahan's mouth, but I do believe him this time. I've heard from enough sources close to him today to be convinced that Michael Strahan is very serious about this retirement thing.

I do realize this could all be a negotiating ploy, and I suppose I can't rule that out completely. In fact, I'm certain that if the Giants offered him another $1 million (or even some easy-to-reach incentives) he'd likely get those retirement thoughts out of his head real quick.

But the Giants have no plans to give another dime to a soon-to-be-36-year-old defensive end with a bad foot who might not really want to play anymore. If this is a contract holdout, it's one of the most pointless ones I can ever remember because there's no chance of a payoff in the end.

Sources in his camp continue to insist that this has more to do with the fact that the Giants did little to improve the cast around him in the offseason. He doesn't see many wins in the team's immediate future, and after 14 years of getting beaten up he's worried about having to carry too big a load, especially for a coach he doesn't particularly like. If this were a Super Bowl team, or even a likely playoff team, he'd feel differently. But he doesn't think it is.

I can't argue with him there.

There is one piece of this puzzle that doesn't fit, though. Six weeks ago, Strahan talked to reporters at the Giants' mini-camp and he was asked if "Michael" was thinking about retiring. Here's what he said:

"Michael has been thinking about retirement for 15 years, since he first got here," Strahan said. "To see Jessie (Armstead) on the field today and realize he's retired, to talk to Tiki (Barber) the other day and he's talking about how he's enjoying his retirement, it kind of make you sit back and think, ‘Wow, maybe it is getting to that point where I'm long in the tooth.'

"But as long as I feel good, as long as I feel I can contribute, and they want me around, it's hard to quit, because you love the competition and the camaraderie. I'm trying to keep going as long as I enjoy that. Once I don't enjoy that anymore and I can't contribute, it's time to pack it up.

"The part that makes a lot of guys retire, maybe before they are ready to retire, is all the other stuff – the practices, the repetition of meetings, the things that you've gone through for so long that you can't get excited about them anymore. I don't like meetings, practice. I hate it to be honest with you. But the the payoff for it is the game and to be out there with the guys, to battle with the guys. Right now that is still a great payoff for having to go through all the other experiences. The coaches have made it a lot easier on me, the way they've handled me and my seniority so they can keep my interest."

When he said that, the Giants' offseason was already over and it was clear they hadn't done much to improve. But his fire was still there and retirement wasn't on his mind.

Six short weeks, and a vacation in the South of France with Eddie Murphy's ex-wife, and suddenly he's completely changed his mind?

It's strange. But I do think it's true. I don't know for sure that he's Strahan is going to retire, but I'm positive that he at least thinks he might.

I just hope if he's going to retire to do it BEFORE the season starts so we dont have to hear about all god damn season and what effect it's having on the team. Not this shit again. :rolleyes:

Some dude called this like 2 or 3 days ago, saying Mike may want to retire but may be looking for one last big paycheck like Keyshawn. Fuck it, this is exatly NOT what we needed ffrom both an on the field perspective and locker room perspective. Maybe Reese should just release him and let Tuck have a shot.

Some dude called this like 2 or 3 days ago, saying Mike may want to retire but may be looking for one last big paycheck like Keyshawn. Fuck it, this is exatly NOT what we needed ffrom both an on the field perspective and locker room perspective. Maybe Reese should just release him and let Tuck have a shot.

Read the blog I quoted. Supposedly we are interested in Rice because of Stay's talking. Though, I agree give Tuck a shot lets see what the kid, ...from ND :flex: , can do.