SportsWrath

Strahan holdout ....and may retire !

UK-Giantsfan

Read the blog I quoted. Supposedly we are interested in Rice because of Stay's talking. Though, I agree give Tuck a shot lets see what the kid, ...from ND :flex: , can do.

Rice would be ok I guess, though wasn't he injured last year too? he's what, 33 i think.. We'll still be alright with Tuck at DE if we don'yt have the rediculous injuries this year.

Garafolo's blog

Some choice bits:

ALBANY, N.Y. -- They're training for a football season here, but so far it's been nothing but a poker match.

On one side is future Hall of Fame defensive end Michael Strahan, who failed to report for the first day of training camp today after informing the Giants through his agent he's considering retirement. This came after weeks of rumors Strahan would hold out in an attempt to get a new, more lucrative contract.

On the other it's Jerry Reese -- the first-year general manager whose philosophy for a younger, healthier team likely doesn't include an extended deal for the 35-year-old Strahan.

Is Strahan bluffing? Maybe.

"He absolutely wants to play this year," said someone who has spoken to Strahan in the past few days. But the person, who requested anonymity because Strahan is still mulling his options, suggested Strahan is wondering if it's worth putting up with the politics of the business and the Giants' unwillingness to give him a raise.

Is Reese bluffing? Maybe not.

According to one of the agents for Simeon Rice, the Giants have shown an interest in the former Buccaneers defensive end, who was cut by Tampa Bay yesterday. Andrew Kessler of CAA Sports said the Giants are interested in the firm's client, but a visit has not yet been scheduled.

"We have a long list of short guys," Reese said when asked if Rice was on his "short list" of players to possibly replace Strahan.

"Daddy, what's a 'long list of short guys?'"

"Don't know, son. A midget conga line?"

The person who spoke to Strahan recently said Strahan feels Reese has "disrespected" him in his first few months on the job. In March, Reese and the rest of the front office refused to budge when Strahan demanded a new deal.

So this might be a power play by Strahan to force Reese into showing him more respect -- or money. But if he's willing to stick with it all the way into retirement, it's unlikely he'll receive anything close to the $8 million in salary he's owed in the final two years of his contract.

:LMAO:

Strahan is trying for a power play with the wrong guy. I said in December Strahan was a pain in the ass, and still stand by it. I can't think of a shittier thing to do than to threaten to retire right now, especially after implying the team has no hope. Talk about throwing a match in the powder magazine, and setting yourself up to be pariah in the lockerroom.

It's going to be funny watching this jackass either blow 8 million and owe the Giant's the prorated balance of his bonus, or .slink into camp with his tail between his legs, and pay $14 grand for each day missing for the priviledge. Either way, there would be no way Reese will give up the rights to him; and even if he does, only Dan Snyder on a particularly nasty martini binge would be stupid enough to sign Strahan for more than he would have made here.

you see, this is why the Dog finds it interesting to talk Giants football...it seems that each year they are a bit of a side show...if it is not a child-like TE having a hissy fit before ending up injured so that he can blame another under-achieving season on being banged up, it is a bad attitude wide receiver that nobody in Pittsburgh wanted to deal with having his own little fit once teams figure out after week 3 how to stop a fade route...then you have a wild-eyed coach fining players for being four minutes early to meetings rather then the mandatory 5 minutes...then you have the main offensive threat selfishly announcing an early retirement so that he can pursue his opportunities to look pretty on televsion,,,and that went so well for him, now the highly respected "leader" of the defense, who has maybe 6 good games left in his career if he can stay healthy has decided to hold out for a big pay day (you do after all have to be compensated well for the 6 or so good games you may have left in the tank) and is dangling the possibility of being a tv star in his own right (doing what, the Dog cannot figure out)...meanwhile the underachieving, deer in the headlight QB sensation who is yet to string together 4 good quarters in a row is trying to hold things together without having to bring his daddy into the mix to set the team straight, while the offensive hopes rest with an offensive coordinator/savior that may be best known for having a fist-fight on the sidelines of a game...blame injuries all you want...come up with conspiracy theories revolving around the officials and the NFL plotting to keep the Giants out of the mix...it is all this stuff that keeps this team down...and keeps those of us who are not fans intrigued enough to come and talk about it...here is to another potentially entertaining year for all of the wrong reasons...

you see, this is why the Dog finds it interesting to talk Giants football...it seems that each year they are a bit of a side show...if it is not a child-like TE having a hissy fit before ending up injured so that he can blame another under-achieving season on being banged up, it is a bad attitude wide receiver that nobody in Pittsburgh wanted to deal with having his own little fit once teams figure out after week 3 how to stop a fade route...then you have a wild-eyed coach fining players for being four minutes early to meetings rather then the mandatory 5 minutes...then you have the main offensive threat selfishly announcing an early retirement so that he can pursue his opportunities to look pretty on televsion,,,and that went so well for him, now the highly respected "leader" of the defense, who has maybe 6 good games left in his career if he can stay healthy has decided to hold out for a big pay day (you do after all have to be compensated well for the 6 or so good games you may have left in the tank) and is dangling the possibility of being a tv star in his own right (doing what, the Dog cannot figure out)...meanwhile the underachieving, deer in the headlight QB sensation who is yet to string together 4 good quarters in a row is trying to hold things together without having to bring his daddy into the mix to set the team straight, while the offensive hopes rest with an offensive coordinator/savior that may be best known for having a fist-fight on the sidelines of a game...blame injuries all you want...come up with conspiracy theories revolving around the officials and the NFL plotting to keep the Giants out of the mix...it is all this stuff that keeps this team down...and keeps those of us who are not fans intrigued enough to come and talk about it...here is to another potentially entertaining year for all of the wrong reasons...

Yeah, we're supposed to believe you are a fan of the game and not a giant hating, div rival fan who is trying to come in here undercover and act partial. Puhlease!

Yeah, we're supposed to believe you are a fan of the game and not a giant hating, div rival fan who is trying to come in here undercover and act partial. Puhlease!
I wish that Michael Vick owned "The Dog". Then we would be rid of him forever. :LMAO:

Strahan is being a scumbag in this situation. To do this now....Tiki and Stray were my two favorite Giants these past 8 odd seasons or so. The team might have sucked here and there (more here than there) but watching those two was always fun. And I always felt in my heart that they were both Giants, not athletes getting a paycheck. How naive I have been.

I remember someone mentioning how Strahan got the bulk of his contracts money in the first couple seasons. Anyone know where we could get info on his contract?

No one wants to admit this because Giant fans have defended Barber/Strahan for years now, but its becoming increasingly more evident that these two were the biggest self promoters in the NFL. In NY(where greatness is measured by how much you win)neither of these two won anything more than an NFC championship. An honor? Yes. One that warrants such self importance? No. Shit these two egomaniacs a few short years ago had a very public war of word over(and this is so ironic)Strahans contract. If you remember at the time Strahan said he wanted more money up front because in the NFL you never know where you will be in years 6 or 7 of a deal. Here the Giants gave him more up front, basically paid him handsomely in the event his career was cut short early and here he is again having a problem with the fact they granted him what he wanted 5 short years ago.

I am starting to believe that it is best to move on. DO the Giants need Strahan? Yes there is no question that a hall of fame player who you can never say did not play hard or want to play can benefit everyone on the team, but at this point I am not sure if his production is worth the distraction. One thing you can not say though is Strahan always came to play, thats why I think he has no desire to not play.

As for Tiki? Well he was a marginal 3rd down back by the end of 99. He became a good not great everydown all purpose back by 2000, one who did turn the ball over a lot. He then took his increased stadom as a player to local radio and TV. By 2003 this was being cited as a reason that he seemed to maybe be lacking focus. By 2004 he became a great running back and then took his act national, where he resides today. I think that maybe Tiki's ambition to be great when he played was motivated more by his post career NFL then his playing career. Lets face it, if Tiki Barber continued where he was in 1999 he would probably no be where he is today. Quite possible that had he let fumbling ruin his career in 2003 that maybe would be the case as well.

Unlike Tiki, who I think always saw football as a stepping stone to his agenda, I think Mike wants to play, its just at this point is it worth it for all involved?

No one wants to admit this because Giant fans have defended Barber/Strahan for years now, but its becoming increasingly more evident that these two were the biggest self promoters in the NFL. In NY(where greatness is measured by how much you win)neither of these two won anything more than an NFC championship. An honor? Yes. One that warrants such self importance? No. Shit these two egomaniacs a few short years ago had a very public war of word over(and this is so ironic)Strahans contract. If you remember at the time Strahan said he wanted more money up front because in the NFL you never know where you will be in years 6 or 7 of a deal. Here the Giants gave him more up front, basically paid him handsomely in the event his career was cut short early and here he is again having a problem with the fact they granted him what he wanted 5 short years ago.

I am starting to believe that it is best to move on. DO the Giants need Strahan? Yes there is no question that a hall of fame player who you can never say did not play hard or want to play can benefit everyone on the team, but at this point I am not sure if his production is worth the distraction. One thing you can not say though is Strahan always came to play, thats why I think he has no desire to not play.

As for Tiki? Well he was a marginal 3rd down back by the end of 99. He became a good not great everydown all purpose back by 2000, one who did turn the ball over a lot. He then took his increased stadom as a player to local radio and TV. By 2003 this was being cited as a reason that he seemed to maybe be lacking focus. By 2004 he became a great running back and then took his act national, where he resides today. I think that maybe Tiki's ambition to be great when he played was motivated more by his post career NFL then his playing career. Lets face it, if Tiki Barber continued where he was in 1999 he would probably no be where he is today. Quite possible that had he let fumbling ruin his career in 2003 that maybe would be the case as well.

Unlike Tiki, who I think always saw football as a stepping stone to his agenda, I think Mike wants to play, its just at this point is it worth it for all involved?

I agree ALMOST, wholeheartedly with you.

I see the Tiki thing different. He may have used the football thing as a stepping stone, but you cant fault a man for planning out his career path. We are so die hard, we forget to see the mans got a life and has a way he wants it to go. The reason I respect Tiki is he at least said, hey, Im not asking for any more money or anything, I just have a different way I wanna go with my life, and Im givin you a years notice before I leave.

Sure, Strahan plays hard and is one of the best ever at his position. But him deciding what he agreed to earlier isnt good enough anymore and if he dont get what he wants, he's gonna quit at the worst possible time, which is right before the season, is pure bull.

The judge that awarded $18.000 per month for the support of 2 children is, imo, a total asshole and completely out of touch with real life expenses. I wonder if he receives a quiet monthly stipend from the mother or her attorney. :furious:

He should have just hung out with Shockey more and been a playboy.

Rice would be ok I guess, though wasn't he injured last year too? he's what, 33 i think.. We'll still be alright with Tuck at DE if we don'yt have the rediculous injuries this year.

Neither Tuck nor Rice are as effective against the run. Osi will now draw the double teams, limiting his production too.