SportsWrath

Eli Takes Shot at Tiki...

Virginia Giant

Anyone see the quote on NFL Live by Eli? More or less he said...."We're excited by the players who wanted to return for this season"

Linkage

Eli Manning has been criticized for not being enough of a vocal leader during his three seasons with the Giants. Yesterday, however, the usually soft-spoken quarterback didn't hold back when asked about what he thought life would be like without newly retired running back Tiki Barber. "I don't think we're concerned," Manning said. "We're excited by the players that we have who wanted to return for this season, and who wanted to be a part of the Giants and play."

Barber, who will be a correspondent this fall for NBC, had a sometimes contentious relationship with coach Tom Coughlin over the past two years. And when word of Barber's retirement leaked out during last season, many in the media questioned Barber's dedication to the team. Manning's parting shot, however, is the first time a teammate has openly criticized the Giants' all-time leading rusher.

Manning was at Grand Central Terminal yesterday, competing in a putting contest as part of a promotion for next week's Women's World Match Play Championship at Wykagyl Country Club in New Rochelle. Despite any lingering hard feelings, the fourth-year QB said he was looking forward to filling the leadership void left by Barber.

"You lose Tiki and someone has to step into the role of leader on offense, and I'm excited about the opportunity," he said. "You want to be a leader, even when things are going good or going bad. I want to be the guy to step up, make plays and lead the team."

Manning is 20-19 with Big Blue and 0-2 in the playoffs. Last season, when the Giants went 8-8, he threw for 3,244 yards with 24 touchdowns and 18 interceptions. "As far as leadership," Manning said, "it's something you earn, the respect of your teammates. You play well, prepare for every game and when things get tough . . . you step up."

Asked if thought he had already earned that respect, Manning added: "I think so. We've won enough games, they know how I prepare, how I work and study and get mentally ready."

Look at little Eli manning up by taking a shot at someone who is no longer on the team...Our baby boy's all grows up!

Too bad when Shockey or Burress glares at him wrong he'll turn to jelly and throw it to Pacman, or whoever the nearest DB is...But gosh, it's tough when your receivers expect the ball within arms' length...

I love it. I hope he starts every single game... :LMAO:

I like it. :TU:

It's not like he called him an asshole... he told it how it was.

Exactly.

And no BadEgg.. I think Shockey and Burress better watch out with their antics. It's Eli's team.. they're the ones who are expendable...

He didnt take a shot at Tivi at all. What did you think he would say, we are dead without tiki? He's pumped for the season, and so am I. :clap:

This is the way I see it. Eli's just turning into the leader we want him to be.

Look at little Eli manning up by taking a shot at someone who is no longer on the team...Our baby boy's all grows up!

Too bad when Shockey or Burress glares at him wrong he'll turn to jelly and throw it to Pacman, or whoever the nearest DB is...But gosh, it's tough when your receivers expect the ball within arms' length...

Oh he will, and he'll probably throw another 55 yd bomb for a TD again.lol!

Hey, Eli has all the tools to be sucessful, like BEING ABLE TO HOLD ONTO THE SNAP. :LMAO:

He didnt take a shot at Tivi at all. What did you think he would say, we are dead without tiki? He's pumped for the season, and so am I. :clap:

Then who was the quote directed at? Huffnagel? I didn't say he called him a giant doosh (<----intentional).

bout time he started taking control :clap:

now if there is a "next time" Shockey or Plax throw their hands up in the air all he has to do is walk right over to them and point his finger in their face mask and say If you had run the right Route or a more crisp route maybe you would of caught that one.

The Doff sees that Bad Egg hasn't taken any advice from the Doff's last post conc Egg. Tsk Tsk!

Then who was the quote directed at? Huffnagel? I didn't say he called him a giant doosh (<----intentional).

LOL, I know you didnt VG. I think he was just asked a question and instead of going into a long shpell about Tiki, he just redirected it to what is important now.

Oh I know, its not a huge deal, but it at least shows he may be taking over the leadership role.

The Dog has to agree that it is a step in the right direction, at least in the sense that he made the comment and not his daddy...

This does bring up an interesting discussion point - what defines a leader, specific to the QB position? Admittingly, the Dog has questioned Mannings leadership ability from draft day forward, but the Dog is not sure that is fair, as a leader may come in various forms...if anyone would care to express their thoughts on the subject, the Dog would welcome them to do so...

The Dog has to agree that it is a step in the right direction, at least in the sense that he made the comment and not his daddy...

This does bring up an interesting discussion point - what defines a leader, specific to the QB position? Admittingly, the Dog has questioned Mannings leadership ability from draft day forward, but the Dog is not sure that is fair, as a leader may come in various forms...if anyone would care to express their thoughts on the subject, the Dog would welcome them to do so...

Part of 'leadership' is your offense counting on a QB to make the 3rd and 10 precise pass that converts to a third down. Eli and like all other starting QB's are the ones starting the plays on offense (unless you like to 'direct snap' it to a FB)...and starting QBs must 'oooze' in confidence. Must be able to be a little cocky (not just with words but with actions). For example, when I watch a Giants game this season and Eli throws a pin point pass to S.Smith for a BIG first down.....that pass must make me say at my home (while watching it) "Damn, IF I was Eli I wouldn't have made that throw but Damn....he fit that pass in there?"

Also people get caught up with this 'body language' thing displayed by Eli....I did too. But I am confident that the 'mopey' look will subside this year due to plays being called that's to Eli's liking. I really think Eli likes the 'hurry up' game and the short and intermediate passing attack. And when Toomer, Smith, Shock, and S. Moss are on the recieving end of those short passes it'll build his 'leadership' skills and confidence will seep out from the recievers, coaching staff and Eli himself. IMO of course!

This is the way I see it. Eli's just turning into the leader we want him to be.

And maybe the next time Eli gets interviewed he will criticize Trey Junkin and Matt Allen for blowing the FG in the 2003 San Francisco debacle...While he is at it, I'm sure that Ali-Haji Sheikh blew a few makeable FGs in 1983...

But make no mistake about it, as soon as Shockey and Buress start shaking their heads...quick, Call Archie!!!!

And maybe the next time Eli gets interviewed he will criticize Trey Junkin and Matt Allen for blowing the FG in the 2003 San Francisco debacle...While he is at it, I'm sure that Ali-Haji Sheikh blew a few makeable FGs in 1983...

But make no mistake about it, as soon as Shockey and Buress start shaking their heads...quick, Call Archie!!!!

Now now now Egg....I repeat, how can you expect that NO ONE will come at you with nasty stuff by making comments like that? You know that the Romo cmments are coming at'cha next.

Hey? Didja see the Romo interview on ESPN? Concerning his extension? Cowboys haven't offered up anything yet. My question is: What does the Egg think about that? Discuss.

Now now now Egg....I repeat, how can you expect that NO ONE will come at you with nasty stuff by making comments like that? You know that the Romo cmments are coming at'cha next.

Hey? Didja see the Romo interview on ESPN? Concerning his extension? Cowboys haven't offered up anything yet. My question is: What does the Egg think about that? Discuss.

I didn't see the interview but I think the Romo situation is a difficult one. I think it is risky to give him a new contract now. But I don't think the Cowboys have much of a choice. If he plays as well as he did last season, and they don't sign him early they could be put in a situation where they will overpay to keep him. So I would rather see them sign him now and work with him, rather than overpaying or starting from scratch with a rookie (unless they can get some vet FA QB next year -- but I don't know who would be available).

Romo has a good enough arm to make all the necessary throws and he has shown he can win in pressure situations. He also has a very good work ethic, seems to be a decent leader, and the team likes him. If they give him a better line and a consistent running game signing him should be worth the risk. I also think an improved defense will make a big difference as that was the root of their problems late last season. But it is not the ideal situation...

I didn't see the interview but I think the Romo situation is a difficult one. I think it is risky to give him a new contract now. But I don't think the Cowboys have much of a choice. If he plays as well as he did last season, and they don't sign him early they could be put in a situation where they will overpay to keep him. So I would rather see them sign him now and work with him, rather than overpaying or starting from scratch with a rookie (unless they can get some vet FA QB next year -- but I don't know who would be available).

Romo has a good enough arm to make all the necessary throws and he has shown he can win in pressure situations. He also has a very good work ethic, seems to be a decent leader, and the team likes him. If they give him a better line and a consistent running game signing him should be worth the risk. I also think an improved defense will make a big difference as that was the root of their problems late last season. But it is not the ideal situation...

This is where I disagree with the Romo thing. He started in 10 games last season. 4 were good, maybe 5. How does that tell you he's earned it? Talk about Inconsistency, torching the Bucs and then getting obliterated by the Giants and Saints, you'd be better off having Brad Johnson back there IMO.

Naw doffster, eggy being eggy is punishment enough. :TU: