SportsWrath

Amhad Bradshaw

Lughead

Ahmad Bradshaw Turns Heads at Giants Camp

By Dan Benton | May 15th, 2007

E-mail | Print | Share

29746722.jpg Newsday.com / Howard Schnapp

Ahmad Bradshaw, who dropped in the NFL Draft due to character issues, impressed the Giants coaching staff during the teams rookie mini-camp. He had what Coach Tom Coughlin referred to as a “noticeable morning” on Sunday.

Bradshaw has displayed great speed, good hands and a Tiki Barber-esque cut-back ability. In fact, he’s shown the Giants everything they are looking for in a third-down/change-of-pace back. If he continues to practice the way he has, he’ll be the front runner to win that job out of training camp/preseason.

The 5′9″, 198 pound running back out of Marshall could be the diamond in the rough we’ve all been hoping for. He is almost a mirror image of Barber physically and ran an almost identical (4.52) 40 time as Barber did coming out of college.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying Bradshaw is the next Barber. There will never be another Tiki in New York or anywhere else in the NFL. I’m simply saying that minus the character concerns, Bradshaw is coming in with many of the same skills, speeds and doubts that Barber had when the Giants drafted him in 1997.

Yeah Barber was a real character case....

Seriously though this Bradshaw kid has me real excited. Droughns might be a "proven" NFL back but he is of a similar style to Jacobs....without the standout physical stature Jacobs brings. Bradshaw is a true change-of-pace...Droughns and Jacobs beating down a D with their physical style followed up by the quick jabs of a Bradshaw-style guy....well it seems like a great combo.

Am I excited? Yes. But I get excited every preseason over the POTENTIAL a roster has...lets see how things develop over the summer and into preseason. But as always (even with TC and Company) I am hopeful.

Yeah Barber was a real character case....

Seriously though this Bradshaw kid has me real excited. Droughns might be a "proven" NFL back but he is of a similar style to Jacobs....without the standout physical stature Jacobs brings. Bradshaw is a true change-of-pace...Droughns and Jacobs beating down a D with their physical style followed up by the quick jabs of a Bradshaw-style guy....well it seems like a great combo.

Am I excited? Yes. But I get excited every preseason over the POTENTIAL a roster has...lets see how things develop over the summer and into preseason. But as always (even with TC and Company) I am hopeful.

I'm very excited also. I think the 3 headed monster we have at RB is lethal.

Benton once again flashes his jackassery. The Bradshaw-Barber comparison carries some weight, but it only goes so far. Even the similarities in their play are limited. And I'm pretty sure that's he's wrong about the 40 times, not that that constitutes insightful analysis.

Benton once again flashes his jackassery. The Bradshaw-Barber comparison carries some weight, but it only goes so far. Even the similarities in their play are limited. And I'm pretty sure that's he's wrong about the 40 times, not that that constitutes insightful analysis.

Yeah I would not even call it analysis. More of a wishful thinking comparison.

Boy wouldn't a nice cut back runner be a huge help. I don't predict much, since most of them are shit, but just the same I can almost see Droughns and Bradshw carrying it.

I like B. Jake, but I don't see his style having longevity. Please make me wrong on this one.

I've just seen too many CB's cut out legs instead of knuckle up. Considering the big boy's size, I find it unlikely that we'll see him make a whole season.

I like what I've read about Bradshaw so far, but then again it's all good until he gets someone like Ray Lewis bearing down upon him...

I can't let myself buy into any hype for this season. I'm going in with the lowest expectations I've ever had for this team in a while. I expect nothing but the same soap opera and poor execution from these frauds.

I can't let myself buy into any hype for this season. I'm going in with the lowest expectations I've ever had for this team in a while. I expect nothing but the same soap opera and poor execution from these frauds.

one again, Mr Negativity strikes again. I agree with you, that I also have low expectations for this season. I despise Coughlin.

one again, Mr Negativity strikes again. I agree with you, that I also have low expectations for this season. I despise Coughlin.

To be honest with you...I wish players today would respond to Coughlin's method of coaching. To me his old school ways are not wrong...they just don't work anymore.

The guy has character issues... Ok I heard that, but I also heard his character issues involved stealing a PS2, though he claimed he borrowed it for the weekend. Whatever he did it for, that's nothing to be labled a "Character Issue Player". It's getting a little extreme.

The guy has character issues... Ok I heard that, but I also heard his character issues involved stealing a PS2, though he claimed he borrowed it for the weekend. Whatever he did it for, that's nothing to be labled a "Character Issue Player". It's getting a little extreme.

it wasn't even a ps2, it was just a game. not a big deal at all.

It's terribly extreme, and it will probably get worse with Goodell's emphasis on diminishing illegal/embarrassing behavior. For every Pacman Jones, there are 5-10 guys that are deemed character concerns because of something trivial, like shoplifting or disorderly conduct or public drunkenness.

Of course, the better you are the more likely this type of stuff gets swept under the rug and overlooked. That's why Pacman goes 6th overall whereas Ahmad goes 250th. In that regard, I hope Goodell's new policy can really improve the league by mimizing the preferential treatment offered to star players/prospects...

This is rookies playing against rookies. It's a bit early to jump on the bandwagon.

I like Ahmad as much as the next guy, but you're right. It's silly to fill up the bandwagon this early, just as it's ridiculous to write off Aaron Ross after a tough inaugural practice.

I find it especially strange that Bradshaw has gotte more press than Ross. That's unheard of. I guess Bradshaw's profile as the "troubled, repentent guy that has to conquer past demons to succeed" is a story that sells ... but it's mostly overdramatized bullshit...

It's terribly extreme, and it will probably get worse with Goodell's emphasis on diminishing illegal/embarrassing behavior. For every Pacman Jones, there are 5-10 guys that are deemed character concerns because of something trivial, like shoplifting or disorderly conduct or public drunkenness.

Of course, the better you are the more likely this type of stuff gets swept under the rug and overlooked. That's why Pacman goes 6th overall whereas Ahmad goes 250th. In that regard, I hope Goodell's new policy can really improve the league by mimizing the preferential treatment offered to star players/prospects...

If public drunkeness were considered a "charachter issue" wouldn't the infamous picture of our drunken QB be considered a "charachter issue"? I commend Mr. Goodell trying to clean up the league but some of these cases shouldn't be bothered with, he should stick to taking care of the littany of issues following the likes of Leonard Little, Ron Mexico Michael Vick, Pacman Jones, Odell Thurman..... ect.

I saw the kid play - he is very fun to watch and could be a real find for us. He has quickness and that vision thing that you can't teach so hopefully he will be a good one. I for one - with the exception of OT - think we had a very good draft.

I think the Barber comparisons are valid. He runs a lot like him... good (not great) speed, but great vision and a "wiggle" to his run that makes guys miss.

As for the character concerns... didn't one of his friends say he could have his PS2 while he went home then forgot to give it to him, so he went into his dorm room and got it? That doesn't sound like a big deal to me.

And the underage drinking thing? Who here never drank underage and had to run from the cops? Jeez, I did things 100 times worse than that growing up, and I'm a school teacher... I just never got caught, and got my head on straight by the time I got to college. In other words, I got lucky.

He'll be fine. I personally can't wait to see the kid in preseason.

I think the Barber comparisons are valid. He runs a lot like him... good (not great) speed, but great vision and a "wiggle" to his run that makes guys miss.

As for the character concerns... didn't one of his friends say he could have his PS2 while he went home then forgot to give it to him, so he went into his dorm room and got it? That doesn't sound like a big deal to me.

And the underage drinking thing? Who here never drank underage and had to run from the cops? Jeez, I did things 100 times worse than that growing up, and I'm a school teacher... I just never got caught, and got my head on straight by the time I got to college. In other words, I got lucky.

He has more of a downhill North/South running style than Tiki did. And he's a lot more muscular than Tiki was in his younger years, especially in the upper body. I think a much better comparison is Travis Henry with slightly less bulk...

Shit half the things we did to girls back in junior high school in the late 70's would be considered at least sexual assault these days. You know butt and tit grabbing.