SportsWrath

Latest on us getting June?

smarcou

Since we lost out out on Edwards, what is the latest news on Cato June? He would be a really good pick up and hopefully we don't lose out on this because Reese is too cheap.

Sometimes "smart" gets misconstrued as "cheap". This FA period has been very frustrating because the Giants haven't done much, but when you step back and realize how much money some of these average at best players are getting, well... you get the picture.

I know this will sound a little far fetched to some, but the New England Patriots NEVER overspend on anyone, and look where it's gotten them. You have to start somewhere.

Sometimes "smart" gets misconstrued as "cheap". This FA period has been very frustrating because the Giants haven't done much, but when you step back and realize how much money some of these average at best players are getting, well... you get the picture.

I know this will sound a little far fetched to some, but the New England Patriots NEVER overspend on anyone, and look where it's gotten them. You have to start somewhere.

I guess that's true, but I would like to get a proven guy so we don't have to rely on the draft which is so unpredictable. IF we pay too much for one guy I don't think it's a big deal as long as we don't go nuts.

I guess that's true, but I would like to get a proven guy so we don't have to rely on the draft which is so unpredictable. IF we pay too much for one guy I don't think it's a big deal as long as we don't go nuts.

That is because you do not understand football. Nate Clements would absolutely love to have you as an agent.

Thats true, but creative massive holes and not adequately filling them is not smart either. I like what reese has done so far for the most part, I don't dissagree with a single cut he's made and i'm glad that he's not paying backups super star ,money. But right now we have what, an OLB combo of Short/Wilkerson/Torbor? OLB is a must fill position in FA, at least 1. Are we gonna draft 2 OLB's and have them come in and start?

Again, i think what reese has done so far is near brilliant, but should have made a move on something at the linebacker position. Though i'm not completely sold on June.

I'm with you VG. It's great that we're not breaking the bank for average players, but we've got some holes to fill too.

Anyone have a link to possible June 1st cuts? Cuz after the draft it looks like that's where we'll have to go to fill the empty spots.

Thats true, but creative massive holes and not adequately filling them is not smart either. I like what reese has done so far for the most part, I don't dissagree with a single cut he's made and i'm glad that he's not paying backups super star ,money. But right now we have what, an OLB combo of Short/Wilkerson/Torbor? OLB is a must fill position in FA, at least 1. Are we gonna draft 2 OLB's and have them come in and start?

Again, i think what reese has done so far is near brilliant, but should have made a move on something at the linebacker position. Though i'm not completely sold on June.

I agree VG. We need a physical, fast LB and Cato June is not it.

I'm mixed on this.

Reese is probably anticipating Wilkinson to start one position, and feels the need is one starter, one backup. So his choices are get a starting FA, and draft a backup; or get a FA backup, and draft a LB in the first round. Plus, if I remember correctly, the LB we had on the practice squad was pretty good last summer, so maybe he steps up this year in camp. Keep your fingers crossed.

Oh, and Short is a free agent as well.

The only thing I can say is that I'd rather try to fill the holes now rather than mid-season, which is when the wheels would typically fall off of Emmons and Arrington. And if you are going to have two young guys on the field, Pierce is probably the best kind of guy to have on the field with them.

They should re sign Short, that would be a smart move.

June is not the answer, but I could see the Giants taking him. Missing 2 linebackers, hopefully one gets filled in the first round, but we need another.

Chase Blackburn

Gerris Wilkerson

Reggie Torbor

Not sure you could sleep well with any of these 3 as starters right now.

It's a theory, but I seriously think Reese is playing chess. Sacrificing a pawn to move in position. Thinking two steps ahead, or in this case 1 or 2 seasons ahead. It seems to me he is throwing this upcoming season away to better next season. If this continues, we are big time players in next years FA and possibly draft. I got frustrated before with him, but now when I think about it, he's brilliant.

Of, course after I say this, he'll go and blow my whole theory, but we'll see.

It's a theory, but I seriously think Reese is playing chess. Sacrificing a pawn to move in position. Thinking two steps ahead, or in this case 1 or 2 seasons ahead. It seems to me he is throwing this upcoming season away to better next season. If this continues, we are big time players in next years FA and possibly draft. I got frustrated before with him, but now when I think about it, he's brilliant.

Of, course after I say this, he'll go and blow my whole theory, but we'll see.

I can't see us throwing a season for that reason. Even if we have a winning season, Reese can still fire Coughlin.

They should re sign Short, that would be a smart move.

June is not the answer, but I could see the Giants taking him. Missing 2 linebackers, hopefully one gets filled in the first round, but we need another.

Chase Blackburn

Gerris Wilkerson

Reggie Torbor

Not sure you could sleep well with any of these 3 as starters right now.

I could live with Gerris. (Is is Wilkerson or Wilkinson? I thought it was Wilkinson, but I seem to be the only one using that name.) He's going to make mistakes, but he's got to learn sometime.

I can't see us throwing a season for that reason. Even if we have a winning season, Reese can still fire Coughlin.

I said nothing about TC, but sure. Either way, there's no reason to sleep in FA with as many holes as we have. Of course the crazy money this marlet is generating could be an excuse, but I dont think thats the case. He could easily fill these holes with some 2nd or even 3rd tier players. He isn't. He'll do it through the draft which basicaly means he isn't hoping much for this season.

I could live with Gerris. (Is is Wilkerson or Wilkinson? I thought it was Wilkinson, but I seem to be the only one using that name.) He's going to make mistakes, but he's got to learn sometime.

Keep up the logic. :TU: GS came in and did nothing toprove he was even worth a draft pick. :doh:

Keep up the logic. :TU: GS came in and did nothing to prove he was even worth a draft pick. :doh:

2 starts. 22 solo tackles, 5 assists, 2 forced fumbles, and 1 pass defended

Not HOF stats, but not too bad for a rookie, part-time player. In the games he started, 9 total tackles and 1 forced fumble. If the coaching staff didn't have such a hard-on for vets, he probably would have wound up with comparable numbers to Emmons, if not better. As it is, he managed to get nearly half the total tackles that Emmons had in considerably less playing time. Not bad at all for a rookie 3rd round pick.

Chase Blackburn's numbers. (edit: Just to be clear, I'm not trashing Chase.)

And just to make everyone cry:

Our starting WIL.

f the coaching staff didn't have such a hard-on for vets, he probably would have wound up with comparable numbers to Emmons,

Is that a hard thing to do?

I wish I could sit around cashing thousand dollars worth of checks and not do a gosh darn thing.

Is that a hard thing to do?

I wish I could sit around cashing thousand dollars worth of checks and not do a gosh darn thing.

:LMAO:

No, not really. I'm just pointing out that if the worry is that there would be a drop in production at that position with Wilkinson, I don't think that will happen. And if they had kept the kid in, he would have had more to offer this coming season without losing much this past season. Emmons set the bar pretty damn low.

No, not really. I'm just pointing out that if the worry is that there would be a drop in production at that position with Wilkinson, I don't think that will happen. And if they had kept the kid in, he would have had more to offer this coming season without losing much this past season. Emmons set the bar pretty damn low.

I agree. I also didn't know it was possible to tear the same pectoral muscle like 3 years in a row.

2 starts. 22 solo tackles, 5 assists, 2 forced fumbles, and 1 pass defended

Not HOF stats, but not too bad for a rookie, part-time player. In the games he started, 9 total tackles and 1 forced fumble. If the coaching staff didn't have such a hard-on for vets, he probably would have wound up with comparable numbers to Emmons, if not better. As it is, he managed to get nearly half the total tackles that Emmons had in considerably less playing time. Not bad at all for a rookie 3rd round pick.

Chase Blackburn's numbers. (edit: Just to be clear, I'm not trashing Chase.)

And just to make everyone cry:

Our starting WIL.

Thats weird? GW did not have 22 tackles in 2 starts. Maybe thats what he got through a season. As far as Blackburn goes, he didnt start one game this year. OK he started in Philly. I think, if memory serves. I dont know what TV I was watching because I dont remember GW doing all that in 2 starts.

Thats weird? GW did not have 22 tackles in 2 starts. Maybe thats what he got through a season. As far as Blackburn goes, he didnt start one game this year. OK he started in Philly. I think, if memory serves. I dont know what TV I was watching because I dont remember GW doing all that in 2 starts.

You misread me, bud. :) 9 total tackles in two starts. If he had 22 tackles in two starts, we wouldn't be having this discussion :lol: