SportsWrath

Eli: 4 years, $84M

Gman329

Guess it's about the going rate for a two time SB MVP and perfect face of the franchise, so I shouldn't be surprised but must admit, I flinched at the number. Hope the cap # keeps going up!

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25297248/report-eli-manning-giants-finalizing-four-year-844m-extension

Report: Eli Manning, Giants finalizing four-year, $84M extension
By John Breech | CBSSports.com
September 10, 2015 5:30 pm ET

Eli Manning made it clear last week that he didn't want to be dealing with contract negotiations during the regular season, and it appears the Giants feel the same way.

According to NFL Network, Manning and the Giants arein the process of finalizing a four-year, $84-million contract extension that the 34-year-old quarterback is expected to sign on Friday.

"I'm not a big fan of negotiations going on during the season," Manning said during an interview on WFAN, via the New York Daily News. "I'm hoping if this thing is going to get done, it's going to get done very quickly. I would think both sides would want to do it that way and not have these talks continue on."

Two days after making those comments, Manning now has his deal.

Before making the deal, the Giants quarterback was set to play the 2015 season under the final year of a $97.5-million contract that he signed in August 2009.

Once Manning's contract is officially signed, it will make him the third quarterback from the 2004 NFL Draft to receive an extension this offseason. The Steelers gave Ben Roethlisberger a four-year extension in March that included $84.7 million in new money and $31 million in guarantees.

The other quarterback from that draft class to get an extension this offseason was Philip Rivers, who signed a four-year deal with the Chargers in August. Rivers' deal included $83.25 million in new money and $65 million in guarantees.

As far as new money goes, Manning will likely come in just ahead of Rivers, but behind Roethlisberger and Russell Wilson, whose four-year extension was worth $87.6 million.

Eli-Manning-contract-extension-09-10-15.Eli Manning will likely be spending his entire career in New York. (USATSI)

Supply and Demand... Eli holds a lot of leverage... It's sad he didn't give the organization some room to sign more talent but I guess it's a business afterall.... Glad he's here the rest of his career... Goodbye JPP.. It was nice knowing ya.

Supply and Demand... Eli holds a lot of leverage... It's sad he didn't give the organization some room to sign more talent but I guess it's a business afterall.... Glad he's here the rest of his career... Goodbye JPP.. It was nice knowing ya.

Oh, I don't think that anyone was expecting JPP to come back next year anyhow...given the fireworks deal. The contract negotiations were strained before he blew his hand apart.

I think of Ryan Nassib at this point. Dudewill probably never get a shot now.

Oh, I don't think that anyone was expecting JPP to come back next year anyhow...given the fireworks deal. The contract negotiations were strained before he blew his hand apart.

I think of Ryan Nassib at this point. Dudewill probably never get a shot now.

Ryan is in a good place in my opinion... he gets to back up Eli and continue to grow... besides this is the NFL and anyone can get hurt....

Ryan is in a good place in my opinion... he gets to back up Eli and continue to grow... besides this is the NFL and anyone can get hurt....

Ryan is sitting behind arguably the most durable QB ever. I would hope that Ryan would resign with us when his deal is up...but I have to imagine that the guy will want a chance to start somewhere else.

Ralph Vacchiano @RVacchianoNYDN 1m1 minute ago

The deal, which includes $68.5 million to be paid out over the first three years, is expected to be signed this afternoon.

Ralph Vacchiano @RVacchianoNYDN 28s28 seconds ago

The deal also includes a $31 million signing bonus and a reduced 2015 salary that presumably will clear cap space.