SportsWrath

You guys know I love the Giants.... But

NeMesiS

I was rewatching the Giants Playoff run over the weekend. And you guys know, when the Giants were struggling, I still believe they can pull it off. Which they did... (That's what positive thinking does for ya). But one thing the Giants have to work on is getting the play to Eli on time. I swaer, the Giants waste more time-outs trying to beat the clock, than anything else.

Discuss..

I think that falls on Eli. He is at a level where he should know what plays to run. Especially late in games.

Yes and no. A mid third quarter 'oh shit the clock is running out' when Gilbride is calling the plays, can't be on Eli, at least not entirely. If it's in a hurry up offense, then sure, but it seems to me that Eli only calls the plays on hurry up.

But, and I could be wrong, I remember them mostly happening in situations like mid third quarter on a 2nd and 6; where you don't expect it at all.

Yes and no. A mid third quarter 'oh shit the clock is running out' when Gilbride is calling the plays, can't be on Eli, at least not entirely. If it's in a hurry up offense, then sure, but it seems to me that Eli only calls the plays on hurry up.

But, and I could be wrong, I remember them mostly happening in situations like mid third quarter on a 2nd and 6; where you don't expect it at all.

Haha, yes, it does seem when we get delay of games, we consistently do it on 2nd and 6 and shoot ourselves in the foot to bring up 2nd and long. That or it will be like 3rd and 1, and we just BARELY get the play off and all of us on the board are forced to swallow down just a little bit more of that stomach acid creeping up due to the heartburn the team gives you.

Haha, yes, it does seem when we get delay of games, we consistently do it on 2nd and 6 and shoot ourselves in the foot to bring up 2nd and long. That or it will be like 3rd and 1, and we just BARELY get the play off and all of us on the board are forced to swallow down just a little bit more of that stomach acid creeping up due to the heartburn the team gives you.

not only that, but it allows the defense to fire off on the ball. a couple of quick counts keep them off balance.

not only that, but it allows the defense to fire off on the ball. a couple of quick counts keep them off balance.

ya, oops, that's where i was going with, with that statement.

Talking football in May, HELL YEAH!!!!!

I've heard the problem is the Giants offense has a lot of verbage in their play calls... lots of detail is relayed from Gilbride, who first has to choose a play, down to Eli, who then then has to say it all over again in the huddle, then come to the line, call protections for the offensive line, and maybe even change the play again at the line. All this in 40 seconds. I've been down this road before... I went on and on about needing to clean up play calls and simplify the playbook... too much confusion, too many penalties... but two Super Bowls later, I will kindly shut the fuck up. I obviously don't know what I'm talking about.

I agree.....Eli doesn't have that problem within the hurry up.

can you just imagine if we had missed the FG in overtime against SF due to the delay of game penalty !

The clock issue is ridiculous enough on offense but it should NEVER happen on special teams. There's absolutely no reason for it. Even knowing that we were about to win the NFC Title, I almost threw my remote through the tv when we got that penalty. Unforced and completely uncalled for errors that are nothing less than mental lapses.