SportsWrath

Concerns over Jones recovery.

With this historically pathetic O-Line, it was a no brainer that there would be an injury guarantee. I for one am actually glad that Jones made his bag here considering how the Giants have fucked him up ever since he got here.

9 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

What QB could we afford otherwise?

A lot if we hadn't given 30 mil to an 8 sack/ year EDGE. I know there's not a lot of good QBs this offseason in FA but Drew Lock is awful... this CAN'T be the plan.

1 hour ago, Sephiroth said:

A lot if we hadn't given 30 mil to an 8 sack/ year EDGE. I know there's not a lot of good QBs this offseason in FA but Drew Lock is awful... this CAN'T be the plan.

Welcome to the rebuild, where we get shit QBs till we find the new franchise QB.

Or as I call it the post Eli era lol 

12 hours ago, Herc said:

Either they don’t expect jones to be healthy, or we aren’t drafting a qb 

I think its the former, not the latter.

And before we panic, there's a lot of room between 'Lock will have the opportunity to compete' and 'Lock is the week 1 starter'.

Plus if we plan on drafting a qb early, and are paying jones, we can’t really get too crazy with the third guy.  Supposedly we wanted Winston but didn’t want spend more than 5

15 hours ago, Herc said:

Either they don’t expect jones to be healthy, or we aren’t drafting a qb 

Or we may not have a shot at the top 3 QBs so it is between Jones and Lock...or we do get one of the top 3 and it's an open competition given the draft pick is still a rookie after all

Yeah that’s what I meant.  Either lock vs rook with jones on pup or lock vs jones.  I don’t honestly think it’s the latter though because if jones is healthy and they don’t draft a qb it’s because they still believe in jones and he’s therefore the penciled in starter.  

45 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

I swear to Christ this had better be a smokescreen. 

why?    Because he wasn’t thought of as highly before the combine?

15 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

why?    Because he wasn’t thought of as highly before the combine?

My view on him lines up almost exactly with NFL.com's analysis of him. 

In a nutshell, he looks like he could be a competent starter and nothing more, with developmental potential. That's not a top-10 pick, that's a guy you take a shot on in the second or third round. 

When I look at him, I say, "he's fine."  You need top-10 picks to be more than fine, they need to be playmakers. 

Overview

Enigmatic quarterback lacking the measurables and splash throws associated with early round quarterbacks but possessing elements that require more study and consideration. McCarthy lacks frame thickness and a plus arm. He’s fairly poised in the pocket but is average as a pocket passer. His ball placement and timing need to improve to help mitigate an average operation time due to a windup release. McCarthy doesn’t seek to play out of structure but is fairly consistent at making positive plays when it happens and ramps up his focus late in games and on third downs. He is confident and seems to have the ability to take slights and digest it as competitive fuel. McCarthy should continue to improve as a passer, but he fails to stand out in many of the areas that tend to be predictive of top-level success in the NFL.

3 hours ago, gmenroc said:

Yep..I want no parts of McCarthy.  2nd round maybe...but he won't be there.

I wouldn’t be mad at a trade back to later in the first, then pick McCarthy. I think. It’s a based on shit I’ve read opinion, don’t feel like I’ve seen enough of him to judge. 

I am in the camp of getting one of the top 3 QBs if you can do so without having to pay an extreme premium to do so.  But I just don't see those top 3 teams seperating from those picks without a 2nd this year and a 1st next...and maybe even then some.

So if QBs go 123, I am good with Odunze or Nabors.  I worry a little about Nabors given the comparisons he will get to OBJ (LSU WR to the Giants)...

Offer the entire Oline$1 million at the end of the season for not allowing any sacks/pressures. They can divvy up the million at the end of the season. Also fine any olineman $100,00 who gives up a sack during the season. I bet the sucky line fixes itself. Fine Jones if he takes off running. Bench him if he doesn't throw 8 TD's by week 4. These things have a way of working themselves out, ya feel me? 

cdb30743-24de-4e94-8dea-69e8535254f5_tex

19 hours ago, Herc said:

Chicago traded fields to the steelers.  #1 pick out of the question now 

Think the top 3 picks are locked in unless we or Minny completely sells the farm and blows NE out of the water with an offer.  Both 2 and 3 need a qb, and both have new head coaches that can basically start their tenure with the dream of getting your guy right off the bat. Only way they don't is if one of us just says fuck it and offers multiple 1sts and more.